Just ordered GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi), have some questions!

elitescouter

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Ok so 2 nights ago, I finally decided I needed to add a new video card to my system but doing that I realized that my PSU would not be able to handle my system + the GTX 480 so I ordered a TruPower Antec 750W psu. Will this be enough? I am planning on overclocking my CPU from 2.3 to 3ghz, I run 4 HDD's atm with 2 DVD drives and some other addons. Will my 750W be enough for all this?

When I get my GTX 480, should I take the heatsink off, clean it and put the ArcticSilver5 thermal paste on it because on the reviews I noticed everyone saying how it runs 85-95c+ on heavy load but none of them said if they replaced the thermal paste or not so that is my question right there.

750w is plenty for one GTX480 (850w is lowest recommended for SLI).

The card is designed to hit the upper 80c - 92c range at full gaming, but the fan should only go as high as 75%. 80% fan is the threshold for noticable noise.

It takes some delicate work to get the heatsink/shroud off, but here is a video tutorial from Danger Den:
http://www.dangerden.com/Videos/gtx480-videos.html

In my opinion, just changing the thermal paste is not enough to justify the procedure, although it may (or may not) help. Maybe try it out first, and then decide if more invasive measures are needed.

elitescouter

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Thanks for that video, that will help me a lot else I would be stuck trying to figure it out!

On the waranty part, I don't think it will void the waranty since there is no waranty stickers or anything that the guy said about. Most people go watercooling and in order to do this, you have to remove the heatsinks so I think they still have their waranty.

I was reading a review of the MSI GTX460 Hawk on Hardocp.com. They were trying everything they could to get the card up to 1Ghz. They describe cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying new paste, but it made no difference in top clock speed.

Here is what they said:
"It didn’t work. Even with "better" thermal paste, 932MHz was as fast as this video card would go."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/09/20/msi_n460gtx_hawk_edition_video_card_review/6

TRENDING THREADS