Solved

Computer dies off after a year of use?

I built a PC in December of 09 and it's been running great. Last night, though, it turned itself off a couple of times during use (twice in a three-hour period). Then this morning when I went to turn it on, it showed the Gigabyte screen before going to a blank black screen with a flashing line in the top left (like when you're typing). It wouldn't go past this screen.

I tried turning it off and then on again, and this time it went to the next screen for a split-second before showing the same empty black screen.

I did put in 4gb of RAM last Saturday, but the computer has been operating just fine since. The only other thing I can think of is that I downloaded AMD Overdrive to attempt OC'ing my CPU for the first time...but I decided not to OC when I saw that my cores' temps were already operating at 46C shortly after start up with no other programs running and about a minute into Autoclock they were at a sweltering 75C. I cancelled the autoclock immediately and haven't messed with Overdrive since, but now I'm thinking I probably fried my cpu.

Any thoughts/ideas? Preferably one that isn't as expensive as a new CPU?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer dies year
  1. It is a possibility that your windows install is corrupt. Try a repair install.
  2. Yup. Sounds like it's setting there waiting for something to happen and it's not getting it. Have you tried a boot disk?
  3. Best answer
    If I had to guess - I think you got a bad stick or RAM. Especially since you mentioned you added some new RAM last Saturday. If you got a pair of RAM sticks - take one out and test your machine with 1 stick. if it's still bugging out - Swap out the RAM for the one you took out and try to boot with the other Stick. And check your MOBO manual - so you put it in channel 1 if you'll be the single channel in the proper slot.

When I had a stick of DDR Ram go out on a dell a few years ago - it caused all kinds of random shut downs - and not able to power up similar to what you're describing.
  4. +1 to jessie or maybe your hardrive failed
  5. 1. Run memtest to check the new RAM

2. Set BIOS to defaults.

3. try Windows repair
  6. Best answer selected by trogdorita.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Components