What is the best gaming card for my computer? (i7 930)

G

Hi all,

I know this has been covered before and I did my research before asking, but there's so many options to choose from and I want to make the right choice the first time.

My computer setup:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
RAM: 6GB (2GB DDR3 x3)
Card: Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
PSU: OCZ 700w
Motherboard: ASUS P6T SE LGA1366 Intel X58 ATX motherboard 3xPCI-E
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Preferred Website: mwave.com / newegg.com
Budget: Up to $300

--------

I do a lot of heavy gaming as well as using Photoshop, After Effects and the like. I can normally max out my FPS in-game but do notice a huge drop from time to time. The game gets choppy and slow. I also have horrible monitor flickering. I've been thinking about upgrading my video card for a long time now, so does anybody have suggestions? I'd like to say price wasn't a factor! The absolute highest I will go is $300 and that's pushing it. I want something that will sustain FPS and generally improve performance.

Thank you~

G

wa1 - Thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely check that out.

ionut19 - Thank you as well. :)

That 5670 should be honored to run in such a system..ha ha ha.

LOL - I had been gaming on a laptop with an integrated chipset for years before I built this machine so I thought anything was better than what I had... now I'm just a tiny bit wiser :)

G

Will this also help my monitor flickering? It's not a HUGE deal but it's kind of irritating seeing scanlines.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
That might be a connection problem, monitor problem or driver problem.
Check if all of the cables are secured, you also can try to change to the other DVI slot in the back of the PC. If you have another.

Also it might be a refresh issue. There i am kind of in the dark, i never had that issue before, just read about it on newegg on a comment, rare thing..

What monitor do you have?

The gtx470 has more stable drivers.

G

It's an LG Flatron W2243S-PF with a VGA port. I have to use a converter for it to be able to work with my DVI card. I'm definitely leaning towards the gtx470.

Mixed7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
If I might just expand the question a bit. I have the exact same system, RAM and 5670 graphics card that the original questioner (is that even a word?) with the exception of a Acer P235H HD Monitor. I will be buying the gtx470 as recommended but I was also interested in faster performance in upgrading the RAM from 6 GB to 12 GB. Would you recommend this or would that be overkill for the system/graphics card? I would like to spend less than $500. Is there a more ideal set-up?

Thanks much for your input.