ASROCK PRO3 GEN3 vs Extreme3 gen3

ubicray

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi
I'm planning to build a new PC
I know that extreme3gen3 is better than pro3,but Extreme3 is 2 LBS heavier than PRO3,and it makes real difference in taxes/shipping so on...
So is Extreme3 so much better than PRO3?if so,i can buy that too,but it will cost me too much...
But if the difference is not big enough,i will go for PRO3

Depends, if you EVER plan on using a 2nd GPU -- IF yes then the Z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

Assuming the following (2):
Z68 Pro3 - http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3
Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3

I am not an advocate 'today' with PCIe 3.0 just for the GPU(s). If you're only going to use (1) GPU it will run PCIe 2.x with the Sandy Bridge, OR PCIe 3.0 IF you replace BOTH the CPU for an Ivy Bridge AND GPU(s) -- with or without the 'GEN3' 'Switching Chip' = for 2 or more GPUs. The NEW GPU must be PCIe 3.0 -- none of them are out and even the fastest Gaming GPU barely saturates the PCIe 2.0 x8 lanes and none are close to PCIe 2.0 x16 and it's laughable for PCIe 3.0 x16 -- maybe in 5 to 10 years.

Meaning 'GEN3' for GPU only is Snake Oil.

ubicray

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for reply :)
I think i'm still going for an GEN3,because i don't plan to change my MB often
But now the question is:Is Extreme3gen3 much more better than Pro3GEN3?
If so,i can buy it with that shipping/taxes/wages...

As I mentioned, if you ever want or need a second GPU then the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3. The Z68 Pro3 only supports (1) GPU.

From the other post, keep in mind neither ASRock is a good choice for high OC or >4.30~4.50GHz without an expensive HSF.

Don't assume, you need to know; I don't tell people what they want to hear, instead I tell them the real Pros & Cons to each MOBO. I like ASUS, ASUS owns ASRock so I have nothing against ASRock -- I just know their limits.

Also, I'm in USA so our prices and shipping are typically less. Our taxes are zero if the Distributor is outside our State.

ubicray

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I won't use any second GPU
I'll keep in mind that i have to OC light(i think i'll use @ 4.0GHz)
But ASRock is way cheaper than ASUS...if i'm wrong,please recommend some ASUS MOBOs under 150$
Ok i'll try to figure some things out about shipping and prices