Your question
Closed

Intel Confidential P4 "Engineering Sample" 3.733 GHz/2M/1066

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2011 4:32:44 PM

I wish to sell my Intel Confidential P4 LGA 775 3.733GHz/2M/1066 "Engineering Sample" CPU with with Intel original 9 blade, copper heat-sink Fan that had come with this CPU.
Any help from this August Forum and its Learned members would highly be appreciated & acknowledged

More about : intel confidential engineering sample 733 ghz 1066

a c 102 à CPUs
February 6, 2011 5:43:31 PM

battleaxe_in said:
I wish to sell my Intel Confidential P4 LGA 775 3.733GHz/2M/1066 "Engineering Sample" CPU with with Intel original 9 blade, copper heat-sink Fan that had come with this CPU.
Any help from this August Forum and its Learned members would highly be appreciated & acknowledged

That sounds like an OEM version of the Prescott-based Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. Those are among the least desirable Intel Extreme Edition CPUs since the Prescott wasn't the best performer out there at the time, any motherboard that can take that chip can also take the faster non-Extreme-Edition 3.80 GHz Prescott-2M with the 800 MHz FSB, and some boards that can take your chip can take the dual-core Pentium Ds and 65 nm Cedar Mill Pentium 4s. eBay has sellers listing your chip for about $60, so you have an idea of what you might get for it.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 4:48:29 AM

MU_Engineer said:
That sounds like an OEM version of the Prescott-based Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. Those are among the least desirable Intel Extreme Edition CPUs since the Prescott wasn't the best performer out there at the time, any motherboard that can take that chip can also take the faster non-Extreme-Edition 3.80 GHz Prescott-2M with the 800 MHz FSB, and some boards that can take your chip can take the dual-core Pentium Ds and 65 nm Cedar Mill Pentium 4s. eBay has sellers listing your chip for about $60, so you have an idea of what you might get for it.

It's an engineering sample, not an OEM version. Engineering samples are always valuable due to their rarity among chip collectors. However, that's not a particularly rare chip, since they're always floating around on eBay. $60-$90 is the usual range for them on eBay.

Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 102 à CPUs
February 7, 2011 12:44:35 PM

mavroxur said:
It's an engineering sample, not an OEM version. Engineering samples are always valuable due to their rarity among chip collectors. However, that's not a particularly rare chip, since they're always floating around on eBay. $60-$90 is the usual range for them on eBay.

Some OEM-bound chips have the "Intel Confidential" markings and a Q-spec figure rather than an S-spec figure like normal production Intel CPUs. That does not make them engineering samples. The fact that the OP got it with a stock Intel heatsink suggests it's an OEM unit and he bought it as part of an OEM computer. The only way for the OP to tell if his CPU is in fact an engineering sample is to open up CPU-Z or another tool and look at the CPU stepping. Production Prescott-based P4EEs have the N0 stepping, so if it is earlier than N0, it might be an engineering sample. The biggest reason why engineering sample CPUs are sought after is because of the unlocked multiplier. That does not increase the value of the OP's chip since it's an Extreme Edition CPU that would have an unlocked multiplier anyway.
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 1:45:53 PM

And an unlocked high end Prescott is about as useful as a buffalo with a propellor on its head ... to a blind vegetarian with a plastic fork ... who is thirsty.

Where do I pickup my prize?

:) 

Score
a c 152 à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 7, 2011 9:11:15 PM

walmart
Score
February 13, 2011 12:31:33 PM

MU_Engineer said:
Some OEM-bound chips have the "Intel Confidential" markings and a Q-spec figure rather than an S-spec figure like normal production Intel CPUs. That does not make them engineering samples. The fact that the OP got it with a stock Intel heatsink suggests it's an OEM unit and he bought it as part of an OEM computer. The only way for the OP to tell if his CPU is in fact an engineering sample is to open up CPU-Z or another tool and look at the CPU stepping. Production Prescott-based P4EEs have the N0 stepping, so if it is earlier than N0, it might be an engineering sample. The biggest reason why engineering sample CPUs are sought after is because of the unlocked multiplier. That does not increase the value of the OP's chip since it's an Extreme Edition CPU that would have an unlocked multiplier anyway.

This is a lot of info for a person like me. Thanks lot for the valuable info. I'll definately download CPU-Z CPUID and post the results here to know exactly what it is.

I found that a HongKong seller on eBay selling it for US $128
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Pentium-EE-3-73Ghz-Socket-775...

Yet another seller is selling the one with only 1MB cache for US $ 158

Yet another seller selling EE3.73GHz but with 4MB cache for US $228 & 236
http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-Pentium-EE-965-3-73Ghz-775-CP...
However none is marked as 'Intel Confidential'. Other then that 'QBFJES' written in the CPU leads to the following page stating that there's NO Core Stepping
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/QB/QBFJ.html

Can I get USD100.00 for this CPU? forget the heat sink Fan. Coz shipping only CPU is easier and convenient. The normal Intel Copper heat sink Fan is selling for USD 20

Any help will be very much appreciated :D 
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 12:53:47 PM

battleaxe_in said:
This is a lot of info for a person like me. Thanks lot for the valuable info. I'll definately download CPU-Z CPUID and post the results here to know exactly what it is.

I found that a HongKong seller on eBay selling it for US $128

Yet another seller is selling the one with only 1MB cache for US $ 158

Both units are identical and being sold by the same seller. My guess is that they are counterfeit as Intel never officially made any chips with a 3.73 GHz core speed, 1066 MHz FSB, and 1 MB of L2 cache. Intel has no record of that S-spec and neither does CPU-World.com or anywhere else. If it really was an engineering sample, it would be marked as your chip with "Intel Confidential" and a Q-spec number instead of an S-spec number.

Quote:
Yet another seller selling EE3.73GHz but with 4MB cache for US $228 & 236
http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-Pentium-EE-965-3-73Ghz-775-CP...

That is a Pentium D 965EE, which is a dual-core 65 nm chip. It is the fastest CPU quite a few motherboards will take, which is why the price is so high.

Quote:
However none is marked as 'Intel Confidential'. Other then that 'QBFJES' written in the CPU leads to the following page stating that there's NO Core Stepping
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/QB/QBFJ.html

The shipping 3.73 GHz Prescott-2M Extreme Editions also had the N0 core stepping. Yours might be an OEM unit or an actual engineering sample, but it should be basically identical to the shipping 3.73 P4EE and thus sell for the same prices.

Quote:
Can I get USD100.00 for this CPU? forget the heat sink Fan. Coz shipping only CPU is easier and convenient. The normal Intel Copper heat sink Fan is selling for USD 20

Any help will be very much appreciated :D 

I'd doubt you can get $100 for it. The ones on eBay go for $20-70, and the guy selling them for $20 has about 20 of them.
Score
February 13, 2011 1:01:26 PM

What if I add with this CPU, almost new condition - and with all accessories, an Intel D955XBK motherboard with total of 2GBs of RAM (533MHz 4-4-4)in dual channel mode.
All offers welcome - even suggestions too.
Score
February 13, 2011 1:05:48 PM

Best answer selected by battleaxe_in.
Score
February 13, 2011 1:36:20 PM

Part number JM80547PH1092M as mentioned on my CPU is "Engineering Sample" whereas the Part # JM80547PH1092MM is a normal Box CPU.
MU_Engineer, please confirm if thats true
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 2:39:54 PM

battleaxe_in said:
Part number JM80547PH1092M as mentioned on my CPU is "Engineering Sample" whereas the Part # JM80547PH1092MM is a normal Box CPU.
MU_Engineer, please confirm if thats true

Both part numbers are associated with shipping 3.73 GHz P4 Extreme Editions. The difference is that one is a 95-watt part and the other is a 115-watt part. I find conflicting sources on which one is which, but both are valid boxed CPU order part numbers.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2011 4:09:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
Related resources
!