Gateway netbook poor wireless connectivity

djennex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hello,
just purchased a Gateway N214 netbook - generally pleased but it doesn't pick up wireless networks as well as my other laptop - at home shows a weaker connection than the other laptops and doesn't work as far away from the router as the other - signal also appears to be weaker although it shows as execellent on other computer - is this a problem known with netbooks or Gateway?

G

Well I don't think anyone's going around claiming that Gateway are the best computers on earth.

But before you return it to the retailer you should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

djennex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks fihart. I'm willing to try any/all of these suggestions, but reception/interference should be common to all devices accessing the router. I literally had the Gateway and a laptop side by side - poor reception on the former and good on the latter. I also noticed while on vacation that the Gateway was unable to pick up a wireless network at a hotel we stayed at while my wife's iPod was fine. That suggests something peculiar to the Gateway, no?

G

"I also noticed while on vacation that the Gateway was unable to pick up a wireless network at a hotel we stayed at while my wife's iPod was fine."

There are differences in wireless performance between devices, but your Gateway does sound like it has a prob.

TRENDING THREADS