Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New sound card for under $30 games/music/movies

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2011 6:21:25 PM

Hello,
This question has probably been asked a trillion times but im lost. I want a good sound card for REALY under $30. I would enjoy 7.1 but all i need is 5.1. Now my speakers are the cheapo Logitech X540 and most of you guys are probably thinking "you wont even notice a difference" but about month ago, my friend let me test his 5 year old audigy 2 ZS and WOWW there was an ENORMOUS difference. I would RATHER buy used from Ebay because i found GREAT prices for good sound cards. What ive come down to is:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 SB0350 for around $13-20
RocketFish 7.1 PCI 3D X-FI Xtreme Fidelity for around $16-22
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE SB0570 for around $17-24

Those are all used and working and GREAT prices. Please recommend one from my list or recommend me from somewhere else. I heard the rocketfish isnt the best but i would LOVE to have the front-panel jacks to be working.

Also, my x540 is using an 8"200w sub and it works PERFECT :D 

My motherboard is the ASUS AM478t-e with some strange VIA sound card which isnt bad but i dont like the cheap drivers. I wish i had either never heard the audigy 2 zs or i had stolen it from him (JK)

lol

p.s. I listen to TONS of music of ALL kinds (except country LMAO) and im a gamer with my GTX 460 :D 
February 5, 2011 7:34:36 PM

Quote:
hi
Audio Output SPDIF Out • 7.1 Channels • Line Out • Coaxial Out • Optical Out
Integrated Audio Realtec ALC850
Audio Input Microphone Jack • 1 x Line In

You wont get better sound from buying a soundcard.

Use the SPDIF quality of the receiver will count not the card.

Speaker Impedance must be matched with your amps impedance. The closer you match them up the better quality sound you get. Digital connectio is better than analog. You got a digital connection use it

Dude i just said i had VIA onboard sound not realtek. And you will DEFINATELY get better sound from buying a soundcard... WTF do you think is the point of them LMAO wow

Best solution

February 6, 2011 2:59:21 AM

neonzion said:
Hello,
This question has probably been asked a trillion times but im lost. I want a good sound card for REALY under $30. I would enjoy 7.1 but all i need is 5.1. Now my speakers are the cheapo Logitech X540 and most of you guys are probably thinking "you wont even notice a difference" but about month ago, my friend let me test his 5 year old audigy 2 ZS and WOWW there was an ENORMOUS difference. I would RATHER buy used from Ebay because i found GREAT prices for good sound cards. What ive come down to is:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 SB0350 for around $13-20
RocketFish 7.1 PCI 3D X-FI Xtreme Fidelity for around $16-22
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE SB0570 for around $17-24

Those are all used and working and GREAT prices. Please recommend one from my list or recommend me from somewhere else. I heard the rocketfish isnt the best but i would LOVE to have the front-panel jacks to be working.

Also, my x540 is using an 8"200w sub and it works PERFECT :D 

My motherboard is the ASUS AM478t-e with some strange VIA sound card which isnt bad but i dont like the cheap drivers. I wish i had either never heard the audigy 2 zs or i had stolen it from him (JK)

lol

p.s. I listen to TONS of music of ALL kinds (except country LMAO) and im a gamer with my GTX 460 :D 

I agree! personally i've always used soundcards and there's definitely a difference that's why we have ears.
I have two of the cards you listed the Audigy 2 is better then the SE imo.It has a better chip..2nd gen
I also own an Audigy 2-ZS hooked up to Logitech X540's and a couple of Auzentech cards hooked up to better speakers.
I would be careful with Creative though the reason is their support sucks and older legacy stuff is getting harder to run on newer O/S like Win7.
You'll get the drivers but that's about it for the most part.
So you won't be able to use alot of features.
Never bothered to try third party drivers. i switched to Auzentech cards instead.
Awesome cards btw.
I would also check out Asus cards as well.
Creative used to be the only game in town but that changed a few years ago.
The Audigy 2 is the same as a ZS! same chip and same drivers no difference internally only cosmetics.
Might be a little rich for your needs but a good card at a reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The Audigy 2 is the best of the lot you listed.
Related resources
February 8, 2011 5:51:23 PM

Best answer selected by neonzion.
February 8, 2011 5:53:51 PM

davcon said:
I agree! personally i've always used soundcards and there's definitely a difference that's why we have ears.
I have two of the cards you listed the Audigy 2 is better then the SE imo.It has a better chip..2nd gen
I also own an Audigy 2-ZS hooked up to Logitech X540's and a couple of Auzentech cards hooked up to better speakers.
I would be careful with Creative though the reason is their support sucks and older legacy stuff is getting harder to run on newer O/S like Win7.
You'll get the drivers but that's about it for the most part.
So you won't be able to use alot of features.
Never bothered to try third party drivers. i switched to Auzentech cards instead.
Awesome cards btw.
I would also check out Asus cards as well.
Creative used to be the only game in town but that changed a few years ago.
The Audigy 2 is the same as a ZS! same chip and same drivers no difference internally only cosmetics.
Might be a little rich for your needs but a good card at a reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The Audigy 2 is the best of the lot you listed.

Thanks for the help!!! I saw the Xonar DS after i posted this. The audigy 2 sells cheap but yes, they are old. The asus cards are much more modern and i can use front panel!! Im going to save up for the Xonar DS. Its VERYYYYYYY good from the reviews :D  Im really tight in cash so i may also choose the Xonar DG which is still great!

Thanks a lot
February 8, 2011 6:07:39 PM

neonzion said:
Thanks for the help!!! I saw the Xonar DS after i posted this. The audigy 2 sells cheap but yes, they are old. The asus cards are much more modern and i can use front panel!! Im going to save up for the Xonar DS. Its VERYYYYYYY good from the reviews :D  Im really tight in cash so i may also choose the Xonar DG which is still great!

Thanks a lot

Yep i think you'll be happy if you get a Xonar card just make sure you pick one with the AV100 chip.
It's the same chip on the $200 cards.:) 
Save up a bit it will be worth it.
Btw the Asus cards go on sale all the time.
Cheers!
!