Sign in with
Your question

AMP requirement

Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2011 9:32:54 PM

Well I built a computer about 3 years ago. I bought an msi gaming motherboard and no where did it mention a specific amp requirement. So, apparently the 700W power supply I had only supplied half of the required amperage the motherboard needs. Here it is 3 years later and now my computer won't start. I found out from gigabyte that my motherboard requires 30A and my PSU only supplies 18A max (pretty sad considering it's 700W, but it was supposed to be a "green" PSU).

Considering that issue, i'm actually upgrading my CPU and motherboard to the i5-2500k and the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 motherboard. It doesn't mention the amp requirement for this motherboard, so does anyone know the exact power needs of this mobo? I'm hoping I can continue to use my current PSU as I don't have the extra ~$100 in my budget for a new one.

More about : amp requirement

a c 176 V Motherboard
October 8, 2011 9:49:50 PM

What is the make and model of your PSU? You may be forced to upgrade your PSU if you want to do an upgrade of your cpu and mb.
October 9, 2011 12:16:53 AM

FSP Group FX700-GLN 700W.
Related resources
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 9, 2011 12:48:57 AM

Yeah that figures I never heard of it. I think your best option would be to call tech support at Gigabyte and get an accurate answer of the power requirements.
October 9, 2011 12:55:17 AM

Well if you google it, you can see I bought it from newegg. They have the details about it, just not sure about the new mobo seeing as no mobo manufacture says anything about a specific amp requirement on their connectors.

Problem: Computer worked perfectly fine, then one day I started it up and there was nothing but a black screen and the mobo was at phase 1, which it's usually at phase 4 until I boot into windows. So I thought it was the VGA seeing as there was no video. I took out the VGA, cleaned it, and put it back in and the computer worked for 2 days. The third day it showed the bios logo and then I heard the computer power down, so I checked and it's back at phase 1. Rinsed and repeated cleaning the card to no avail. Went to MSI website and they said that their mobo requires 30A. I'm listening to them, but I guess I should stop being lazy and breadboard.

Specs of computer i'm building:
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 motherboard
- Intel i5-2500k
- Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 550 Ti
- 4GB DDR2 (old sticks)
- DVD-RW Optical (old)
- PSU ??

This is pretty stupid that there's a specific requirement and they don't say it. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to build a computer.
!