Interesting shutdown prob

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have a stumper, my computer shuts down while idle but is fine while doing tasks. I thought it was overheating but it only shuts down while idle. after shutdown, i try to turn on but get geet 1 long beep 3 short beeps. so then i unplug, take off heatsink, then put heatsink back on and its good until i stop doing tasks again. as long as i have some sort window,game,movie on the comp runs fine
I have an abit ni8-sli, p4 3.2 800fsb 2gigs of kingston value, evga 7900gs 2-160g sata 1.5gbs bfg 650watt psu win7 x86
I hope someone can help ty.

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
ya I tried that but its says its a memory problem, i installed working memory and still get the prob. also why would it boot if i remove and replace the heatsink? i also just noticed my psu fans are not running, but i also tried a different psu and still get the issue. also the post code says check cpu voltage, but im not overclocking and have reset bios and never got the code in the last 4 years with the same settup. do you think the mobo is just frying or my p4 cpu is going out?

Wired220

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi,, sounds to me like its a video issue either drivers or the card itself. but with out knowing more details hard to diagnose ie clone pc or a name brand etc. just a wild guess how long does it before it shuts down on avg? it could be mix of power setting it doesn't like.

Check your mobo for bad capacitors. The will look like they are bulging up or have yellowish/brown stuff on top of them like this:

close-up.jpg

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

Thats the thing, it doesnt shut down till pc is completely idle. ill check my power settings and set them all to never turn off anything or go to screensaver. then ill add power settings till it fails on me

also ill look for bad capacitors, the mobo was built in 2005 and its my media center so its always on.

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
i suppose it could be video card, the thing is 4 yrs old. no bad capacitors and power settings didnt help either. it seams like after im done watching a movie or running comp under load for a while, it just quits on me after about 5 mins of being idle. i cant change the thermal paste everytime i pull the heatsink as i do it a couple times a day lol. i do have some cheap thermal paste that came w/ heatsink, so do u think i should try arctic silver to see if it makes a diff? however i dont think its an overheating prob anyway. would pulling the heatsink and replacing it indicate a video prob? I mean I dont actually pull the heatsink, just undo the socket 775 push and turn clips, leave the heatsink there not actually pulling it out of the holes just lifting off the proc and put it back down, and voila, it turns on every time. I dont know why that fixes it but if i dont do that after it shuts off, it gives me the beeps and 8.7 post code. pretty wacky prob if u ask me!

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
im buying a new vid card for a new build so ill try that one in there first before i build my new one. if it works then ill have to get another vid card. ill post when i figure this out.

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
ok so new vid card didnt help, im afraid the motherboard is just old, and the circuits lose connection as it heats up. that would explain why when i flex the board ie. pulling the heatsink, it flexes back into place and whatever circuit slightly connects, till it heats up again. however this doesnt explain why it runs fine under load. i wish i had another p4 to try out, but i dont think its the proc cause it still boots lol.

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

ya i thought about that, but i cant get to pc to boot at all now, even w/ no vid. the mobo has an error display, it just says 8.7 and gives me beeps. i think my 2005 model mobo has been too hot for too long and im just SOL. another thing, if i put in new mobo and start in safe mode, is there a chance at retrieving my data onto a flash drive? if not i can just put in a different comp. and do it the old fashioned way lol

mr panick

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Yup it was the motherboard, had to reinstall win.7! Thank god i could install on another HDD! and it still recognized my HDD Stripe from previous mobo too boot:)! Everything saved w/ minimal time spent reinstalling lol.
Thank you for your ideas everyone!
mr. panick

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Glad you got it fixed. I've reinstalled Windows so many times (on my computer and others) that I've got it down to 15 minutes, from the time I put in the disc, to all my typical programs being installed.

So you ended up replacing the motherboard, I take it?