Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Alright so basically I want to buy more ram, I currently have 6GB and am able to utilize all of it. I game, record, render, upload, and would like to do streaming (limited by internet upload right now). Basically I was thinking of replacing my 3x2GB sticks of ram with 3x4GB. I have two questions, first could I use my current 6GB in addition to the 12GB, I assume it wouldn't be a problem. Second question, how much ram would be considered too much? I'm currently able to push my 6GB but I wouldn't say by a ton, I'm doubtful I currently need 12GB but I'm a person that tends to like future proofing and wiggle room. While I could just get 6 more GB, I'm unsure how that would effect the triple channel feature. Also, if I got the 12GB I could always sell or give a friend my current 6GB. So what our your thoughts?

Here are my comp specs:
-ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield
-G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel
-GeForce GTX 460 1GB
-1TB Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Yeah, I figured it would be because of something like that. Good to know that it helps to get ram with the same latencies, etc. Thanks a lot rolli59, that covered my main questions.

Edit: A new question came up, is it bad to pick ram that is not on the motherboards list of memory support list?

Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
If I did 6x2 I wouldn't be able to go past 12GB if I ever needed to. While currently I don't think I'll need to you never know how much is needed in the future :p.

ajay_vishvanathan

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

well.. in the future you can always remove a 2 gb and upgrade it with a higher capacity which i dont need to tell you.. the point here is..
imagine a double decker bus.. it takes some time for the people to get down and get in in the same entrances and exit.. but if you have two different buses.. the entrance and exit doubles.. thus the people (data) can get in and come out faster.. coz you have doubled your entrance and exit.. :D

a 4 gb ram is like a double decker bus with one entrance and exit.. whereas two different buses have two entrances and two exits.. :)

It would be nice to see a link to this important information from a reputable hardware site! I and others have been led to believe otherwise.

Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Well I see ajay's point but I'm not so sure it would be a significant speed difference. I wouldn't know though, a link to an article would be pretty nice. I think I will stay with the 12 GB in the 3 slots, I could use that with my current ram or just give my current ram away/sell. The thing is, it's not much cheaper to buy the 2x3GB sticks, not by much.

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
You said your system can handle what you have, but the OS can limit as well, even with 64 bit depending on versions...example the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

that includes video memory so if you go to12 gigs plus your 460 is 13 gigs...
filling your banks with 3x2 + 3x4 would be 18 which wont be fully realized by home premium (even without video)
just figured not everyone realizes, and its better to throw it out there to save a potential headache.

Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Lupinesithlord that's a good point, but I have Windows 7 Professional x64 so I don't expect a problem. I guess I should have put my OS in my comp specs, didn't think about it.