Memory / motherboard compatible question

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Compatibility
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
October 9, 2011 12:35:10 AM

I current have 6gigs of memory on 3x2gb DDR3.

I currently can get 12gigs free that are 3 x 4GB DDR3. My question is can my motherboard read the memory and what changes would I need to do to my computer to make it run best with the new memory. I did read and newegg mentions "Only qualified 1.5V XMP RAM on Intel Core i3/i5/i7" and I have never seen that before. So makes me think I might need to change something that I am not aware of.

My current motherboard is an Intel DX58SO, and while reading the back of the box it mentions 8GB max with a 2 next to it leading to the image below
Spoiler

I mainly want to know if that means my motherboard won't read more then 8 gigs at all or maybe I just fully understand the wording. I also know most people say more then 4gigs is not needed but as Intel would be giving me 12 for free I find it hard to pass on.

More about : memory motherboard compatible question

October 9, 2011 1:05:36 AM

No, I don't think there will be a problem. What this means is that some of the Ram may be shared with the GPU on a PCI or PCI-e port so there really isn't anything to worry about.
The Intel page on your Mobo has been updated to say it supports 16Gb though, so that isn't a problem.

m
l
October 9, 2011 1:13:54 AM

That's what I get for reading information on an old box. While looking into this memory it is said that I need to alter timing and voltage to get the full speed out of it (1600 MHz) I know I would alter this is BIOS but other then altering that back in the day for it to read a graphics card i've never done anything in there.

The memory is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2011 1:22:02 AM

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. It is very easy to fiddle around with memory timings/voltages/fsb.

I'm more surprised that it doesn't work at default settings right out of the box. considering that it has an XMP profile and everything.
m
l
October 9, 2011 1:33:26 AM

I just sent the order to Intel to get the memory so I have not tried anything myself but from reading up on it some people have problems when it not working right away or just not running up to speed. But ill try to alter the BIOS once I get it and see what happens.
m
l
!