[FZ] Ivy Bridge 22nm works with H67 and P67

Saw this coming. It makes sense. Look at previous:

LGA775: 65nm Pentium D > Core 2 > 45nm Core 2
LGA1156/1366: 45nm Core i5/i7 > 32nm Core i3/i3/i7
LGA1155: 32nm Core i5/i7 > 22nm Core whatever

I can't say beyond that for Haswell but I would bet Haswell will require a new socket like Sandy Bridge due to newer features and layout changes. I had a feeling that Sandy Bridge would need a new socket because of the fact that a GPU was being placed on the same die as the CPU would greatly change pin layout.

Its just like BD needing a new socket because AMD is finally not going to sacrifice features and performance for backwards compatability.

But Ivy Bridge working on LGA1155 H67 and P67 makes sense. Its just a tweaked SB CPU with a die shrink. It will probably also work on Z68 and the other super high end socket/chipset Intel has planned.

^I want to wait till at least Z68. Plus I had a no choice scenario this week. My wife has been using my 8 year old P4 EE system for 4 years. It finally started to slow down and act weird, having all kind of I/O errors. So it was either build her a new machine or she starts to use mine......

So I built her one with a Athlon II X2 250, 4GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333, Asus AM3 mobo and a 500GB WD HDD.

One good thing I got out of it was I gave her my HD4870 and got a HD5870.

They're already talking 6Ghz+ with Ivy Bridge on Air

I would not be suprised. Honestly. Intel was showing off its 22nm SRAM chips a year ago that were pushing 4GHz on under 1v. Plus this is the thrid generation HK/MG as well. Probably a ton of enhancements on it.

Kind of scares me for AMD though. They will just be on 32nm and their first stepping of HK/MG. I wonder how well BD can clock because if BD can't clock well but performs decently against SB, Intel can just super stock clock SB chips and then IB chips.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

OVER 9,000MHZ!!!!!!!! :kaola:

Who knows how amd is going to fare. Maybe if they release some benchmarks. Ivy Bridge is also expected to have a 20% IPC jump over Sandy Bridge as well.
I thought Ivy Bridge was only a die shrink of SB. Thus it would only be maybe a few % due to lower latency.

Are they changing more in IB even though it should be the tick in their tick/tock strategy?

As with every die shrink there are arch enhancements and tweaks. Not to mention that it will be the latest stepping of SB which will also have enhancements in performance and energy consumption.

Its like comparing Core 2 Quad Kentsfield to Yorksfield. It ws just a die shrink but the enhancements pushed about 15-20% IPC increase across the board clock per clock and greatly lowerd power consumption thanks to HK/MG.

helikss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Couldn't they have come up with a better name than Panther Point for the new 7-series chipset though?

Maybe MILF point instead of cougar/panther like Apple Intel parody.

To those clock maniacs, it is meaningless as long as it is clock dependant. asychronous is the way to go but man must be milked regularly and forever
Moore Law? is a moron proposal for marketing.

computer engineer