Sign in with
Your question

PSU or Mobo issue?

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2011 9:33:34 PM

About a week ago my wifes computer died- I ended up resetting the BIOs, and reseating a few things- including the main power to the mobo that wasnt fully locked in. It worked for a week or so and is dead again. I am trying to find out if the issue is the CPU or mobo. The computer is less than 3 years old. The mobo is a EVGA 775 and power supply was built into the antec case, an antec earthwatts 350. And yes, 350w is more than enough- 0 pci slots used, built in gpu, only 1 cdrive and 1 HD....

There is an on-board LCD for error displays, its is giving me 88- which is "undefined". I did read somewhere that it might read "--" if the mobo was actually dead, which lead me to believe this is a PSU problem, it just seems odd since it is pretty new...

Is there any good way to confirm the PSU is the problem? I have my desktop with a working PSU(obviously...), is there any easy way to confirm the problem on her computer with my PSU? Or any other way?

Any help is appreciated, and I guess the good news is that if it is the PSU it is still under Antec's 3 year warrenty.
Thanks,
Michael

More about : psu mobo issue

a c 694 ) Power supply
February 5, 2011 10:27:34 PM

If it works fine on your PSU then you would know that her PSU is gone. If neither PSU work with it then motherboard is the most likely culprit.
m
l
!