Sign in with
Your question

Can't Decide Between Dominator GT or G.Skill Ripjaws X

Last response: in Memory
October 9, 2011 4:38:33 AM

INB4YOUDONTNEEDTHATMUCHRAM; I am a Video Editor working with 3D Graphics in real-time, and do heavy gaming as well as multitasking so I would benefit from 16GB of ram vs 8GB.

Ok so I am building a new rig pretty soon and have worked out everything except the RAM. I am running a Z68 Mobo so its Dual-Channel RAM only. Dominator has been around a while and has been reccomended to me but G.Skill is usually cheaper and i have seen it advertised in the GSL and has good reviews.

Both sets are 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 and I plan on buying 2 sets for a full 16Gb of ram, both sets are compatible on the Maximus IV Extreme-Z so no mobo problems here. My knowledge of RAM Timing's goes as far as lower is better so I could use some help with that.

Overclocking is a big factor for me as I want to get my $$$ worth. I am getting a full LC loop so no extra heat from the CPU. I plan on getting a Corsair CMXAF2 Fan for the G.Skill as it comes with the Dominator and has a better CFM than G.Skill's fan. It is $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.Skill Ripjaws X, 8GB (2X4GB), 2133Mhz, 1.65V, 9-11-10-28 (F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM) $250 for 2 sets with the Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT, 8GB (2 x 4GB), 1866Mhz, 1.5V, 9-10-9-27 (CMT8GX3M2A1866C9) $310 for 2 sets, $280 without the second Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I really want to get the best Performance/Price Ratio I can. The Dominator runs at a lower speed than the G.Skill but has better timings (I think). Have heard it has better OC Potential but no info to back it up.

The G.Skill is $30 Cheaper with the fan and runs at 2133 and from what I have read has good OC Potential as well as good timings (Again I think).

What would be the best value here between these 2 sets of RAM? I would Probably put the other fan on ebay or use it for something else. If you can please resist just giving me links to to other ram unless it is running at a minimum of 1866 and 8GB (2X4GB). Thanks in Advance for any and all help.
Related resources
October 9, 2011 10:21:07 AM

ncc74656 said:
Gskil is out, its 1.65V, you want corsair. that said there are plenty of Gskil 1.5 kits. i just ordered 20 of these for system builds i have coming up this week: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sand Bridge Z68 runs Stable and just fine at 1.65V and if I got the Dominator I would just up the voltage, I would need to anyway if I wanted to maximize overclock potential.

That Ram is only running at 1600. I am looking for high end ram here. My Budget for ram extends beyond $300.
m
l
October 9, 2011 10:27:32 AM

sandy bridge does not run properly at 1.65 its outside of its spec form intel. there are people who say they have not had an issue but i just did 3 days of research on this and intel states only 1.5V kits should be used with sandy bridge. 1156 was the last chipset to support 1.65.
m
l
October 9, 2011 10:31:42 AM

ncc74656 said:
sandy bridge does not run properly at 1.65 its outside of its spec form intel. there are people who say they have not had an issue but i just did 3 days of research on this and intel states only 1.5V kits should be used with sandy bridge. 1156 was the last chipset to support 1.65.

What Intel Reccomends and what will run perfectly stable are 2 different things. There has never ever been a problem with 1.65V on P67/Z68 and further more I am trying to get the most for my $$$ here, not stay safe and waste money on hardware that is much slower with poor OC potential when My Budget allows for much more.

No offense but could you actually contribute rather than pointing out obvious information that really doesn't matter?

1.65V will run 100% Stable on a P67/Z69 Chipset/Mobo. Any higher than that and you may do some damage but no 1 has got around to testing such claims and I do not intend to push the voltage any higher.
m
l
October 9, 2011 10:37:43 AM

there are reports of memory controllers being fried by going over 1.52V on sandy bridge chips. i had the exact same mentality as you 3 days ago, i ripped my hair out reading white pages and tech specs, message boards, and reviews. that changed my mind.

as for OC with your 2133 Mhz kits... they are high density already high speed kits. I have had great head room on my Gskil kits i have used in the past but you will not have a very high ceiling given the already high clocks and 4 sticks and high density will all play against you in your OC attempts. not saying you cant do it but i doubt a 1.65 stock volt ram would matter, if anything a lower voltage ram would give you more headroom by having a higher voltage ceiling.
m
l
!