I have the hardware listed below in a Cooler Master ATCS 840, but I'm starting to think this case is too big - only about half of it fits under my desk.

Intel Core i7 920 (w/ stock cooler)
Asus P6T Deluxe
6 GB DDR3 1333MHz
XFX HD 5770
Corsair HX1000W
DVD+/-RW, DVD-ROM
3x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB
1x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB

So now I'm thinking of buying a smaller case, like the Antec 300, but I'm not sure it will all fit. If it won't, I'll discuss alternatives for the case and/or some of the hardware (I plan to keep the HDDs and ODDs though).

My main concern is the depth of the case, since I plan to put it between my monitor and printer, parallel to the wall. Most of the Lian-Li cases are 19.29 inches deep compared to the 18.3 inches of the Antec 300. Lian-Li makes smaller cases, but those are for MicroATX and/or Mini-ITX, and most of those don't even have enough drive bays for my HDDs and ODDs. Also, one of them had the front USB ports near the bottom, which could make access difficult. Also, I want to avoid cases with side windows or led-lit fans, so that I can occassionally leave my computer on overnight and still be able to sleep in the same room. Can you suggest some specific models for me to consider as alternatives?

I managed to get everything in, though some of the connections were challenging. However, I discovered that the case doesn't quite meet my needs as far as being able to run it overnight - there's a blue LED on my motherboard just below the DIMM slots that shines through the side grille directly toward where my head would be when sleeping. I don't feel right using tape over this grille, so is there a cover plate or something I could get for it?

Wow, what's that cover made of to justify the $8.40 price? I see some 5-egg-rated 120mm fans at Newegg that cost less than that - I would have thought the cover would be simpler and cheaper to make than a fan. I doubt it has free shipping, so the apparent $10 minimum to get a custom-cut piece at TAP plastics would probably come out less than ordering the cover from Puget Systems. (I know where a local one is, so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping)

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I was just posting an example, that would be a silly purchase. I think because it's a low-demand item, they have to upcharge to make a profit. Could easily spend 10 minutes with a piece of black plastic from the hardware store, a tape measure, and a drill and make that. But they do exist :)