Sign in with
Your question

How big is MSI GTX460 Cyclone?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2010 9:22:18 PM

Hi :-)

i have asked this under the GTX460 roundup review, but someone suggested this is a better place for the question.

I'm thinking of buying either the MSI or Gigabyte GTX460 card. I would prefer the former but I'm not sure if it will fit in my case. It's a Cooler Master 690 II with a 25mm fan on the side panel.

The article says that the MSI Cyclone card is 5.1 inches (13 centimeters) wide. Does anyone know how this was measured? I mean - is it the entire card, starting from the PCI-Express interface up to the tip of heatpipes? If not, does anyone know the full width?

Best regards!
Crocodil

More about : big msi gtx460 cyclone

a c 235 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 9:36:52 PM

...i could take mine out and measure it but I'll just say the card is small. you could fit three of them in your case.

from MSI

Card Dimension (mm) 200.61x110.1x38
September 20, 2010 9:44:26 PM

Yes, it will fit.
What is your power supply ?
Related resources
September 21, 2010 8:44:18 AM

ct1615 said:
...i could take mine out and measure it but I'll just say the card is small. you could fit three of them in your case.

from MSI

Card Dimension (mm) 200.61x110.1x38

Thank you for your answer but I'm affraid you haven't understood my question exactly... The problem is that from my motherboard to the side panel there is about 16cm clearing. One the side panel, at the same height as the card, there is a fan, that together with a dust filter takes 2.7cm. If the Cyclone is 13cm, then everything should fit together (13 + 2.7 < 16) but it's a small margin and I'd rather not take the side fan out...

I have seen these dimensions on MSI website and compared them to my current card. I think this are just the dimensions of PCB, not including the heat pipes that might cause a problem...

abswindows7 said:
Yes, it will fit.
What is your power supply ?

I have a 560W Chieftec PSU, CFT-560-12C to be more precise.

Best regards,
Crocodil
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 2:13:18 PM

actually i did answer your question above :kaola: 

the card is 4.5" in width or 11cm (110mm) as stated above (i even measured it, hence the ")

no clue where you got your 13cm from. so if your clearance area is 16cm (from mobo to side panel fan) that would leave you 5cm to play with. and what guy wouldn't 't want extra two inches (5cm) ?? :D 
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 2:40:06 PM

If it's a dual-slot vidcard it will be ~40mm wide right away:
Overall dimensions 242mm (9 1/2") long
100mm (4") tall
40mm (1 1/2") wide.
I got the EVGA SuperClocked GTX460 w/1GB, great vidcard.
Hope this helps,
Regards
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 3:22:30 PM

The_OGS said:
If it's a dual-slot vidcard it will be ~40mm wide right away:
Overall dimensions 242mm (9 1/2") long
100mm (4") tall
40mm (1 1/2") wide.
I got the EVGA SuperClocked GTX460 w/1GB, great vidcard.
Hope this helps,
Regards

....1 1/2" wide???.... :pfff:  where you do come up with this crap? everything you post is wrong, I'm assuming you are just a troll looking to give people incorrect information like all your other posts!

on my 22" 1680x10500 monitor

this line is 1 1/2"
September 21, 2010 6:36:44 PM

ct1615 said:
actually i did answer your question above :kaola: 

the card is 4.5" in width or 11cm (110mm) as stated above (i even measured it, hence the ")

no clue where you got your 13cm from. so if your clearance area is 16cm (from mobo to side panel fan) that would leave you 5cm to play with. and what guy wouldn't 't want extra two inches (5cm) ?? :D 

Thank you again for your answer :-) That settles it - I think I will buy the MSI Cyclone card :-) On occasion it doesn't fit, I will replace the fan with a slimmer one (like Scythe Slipstream Slim) :-)

The 5.1'' (13cm) I've taken from Tom's Hardware Roundup: Nine GeForce GTX 460 1 GB Boards Benchmarked

Best regards,
Crocodil
September 22, 2010 1:20:48 AM

I think everyone here is on crack.No one noticed that : 560W Chieftec PSU, CFT-560-12C

You power supply has to be changed at the same time, for sure. No question here, unless you really want to fry your motherboard and your ram. And probably your hard drive too :) 
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 10:07:51 PM

like what brand?
September 24, 2010 6:00:52 PM

Seasonic, Antec , Corsair, Xfx , PC&P, Enermax, Silver Stone, Tagan etc ...
There are a lot of power supplys to not choose Chieftec... Althought, if the price was slightly lower than those listed (which is probably the case) I would understand being on a budget going for those kind of unit.

To be honnest with you, IMO, when its not a flush 500 or 550 watts , ie 560, 520 575 etc ... It is suspicious.

I never heard of Chieftech and it had 560 watts so that's why my judgement was to not try that card on this power supply. It might work , it might last, but might is a big word.
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 6:09:40 PM

The power supply is fine...
September 24, 2010 6:29:09 PM

I know :(  I was wrong at first.
But as I said, I wouldn't buy chieftec when there are so many others good name brands out there.
September 24, 2010 7:06:55 PM

Hi :) 

I see that you are from Canada, so I suspect that Chieftec in unknown in North America but here in Europe, or at least in Poland where I live, it is a respected company :)  Not the highest level, but very well above average and from what I've checked the PSU should be able to power my PC just fine :) 

The MSI GTX460 Cyclone has arrived today. I haven't yet time to put it into my PC but I've measured the dimension that I was interested in (from the PCI Express slot, including, to the tip of the heatpipe). It's 12.5cm/4.93inch so it should fit without having to remove the side panel fan :) 

Best regards,
Crocodil
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 7:14:43 PM

abswindows7 said:
There are a lot of power supplys to not choose Chieftec... Althought, if the price was slightly lower than those listed (which is probably the case) I would understand being on a budget going for those kind of unit.

To be honnest with you, IMO, when its not a flush 500 or 550 watts , ie 560, 520 575 etc ... It is suspicious.

I never heard of Chieftech and it had 560 watts so that's why my judgement was to not try that card on this power supply. It might work , it might last, but might is a big word.

So my Corsair 620HX's are what then? :heink: 
September 24, 2010 8:24:04 PM

I meant to say that unknown brands with such kind of wattage are most part of the time PEAK load.
But your corsair 620 hx is a professional power supply, there is no cheap stuff inside :p 
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 8:25:52 PM

abswindows7 said:
I meant to say that unknown brands with such kind of wattage are most part of the time PEAK load.
But your corsair 620 hx is a professional power supply, there is no cheap stuff inside :p 

I know, I just had to take a playful swipe. ;) 
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 9:48:18 PM

abswindows7 said:

antec, corsair, xfx, PC& P, silverstone, and tagan have never made a PSU and I own both a Corsair and PC&P. So try again! Plus the fact that you know nothing about Chieftech is your failure, not other peoples!
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 9:50:33 PM

abswindows7 said:
I know :(  I was wrong at first.
But as I said, I wouldn't buy chieftec when there are so many others good name brands out there.

well then I guess corsair and antec PSU suck also...since they use similar companies to build their units :pfff: 
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 9:52:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So my Corsair 620HX's are what then? :heink: 

according to the PSU genius my corsair is junk....
September 25, 2010 3:23:16 PM

Hi :) 

I think this is my final entry on the subject of "How big is MSI GTX460 Cyclone" ;) 

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their help. You made it much easier for me to make the decission which GTX460 model to choose.

After another, this time more careful, measurment it turns out that the card is in fact 13cm/5.1" high. It fits just fine into the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced case with a 120x120x25mm side panel fan.

Maybe that information will come in useful for other people as well.

As for the discussion - I will for sure let anyone know if I run into any problems with my Chieftec PSU :) 

And now please excuse me, I'm going to have some fun with my new graphic card for the rest of the weekend :D  ;) 

Best regards,
Crocodil
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 3:27:24 PM

gratz enjoy
!