$1500 for a FAST Machine (Photoshop/Lightroom) I am completely lost :)

ahansen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Hoping I am doing this correct, I appreciate any help from this great community.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: (By the end of the year)

Budget Range: (Up to $1500)

System Usage: (Full time web designer and photographer LOTS of Photoshop and Lightroom, dual monitor setup. Want Lightroom to be FAST)

Parts Not Required: (Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor, Windows 7, DVD Drive, Case (if new one is needed let me know)) Added my current setup to bottom - is it a starting point, can I save any, start over?? Told you I was lost lol

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (new real preference but normally use NewEgg.com. Also have a Microcenter close by I can go to)

Country of Origin: (USA)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (No preference - open to suggestions)

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: NOT SURE

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1200) - Already have a monitor

Additional Comments: (I would like a quiet PC - complete list of my current build below - could be a starting point??)

------------------------------
Some Background Info

A little background on what I would be using it for. I would be working full time on it doing lots of
web design, graphic design, photo restoration, photo processing. I currently run two monitors and have
either Photoshop or Lightroom open at all times. I do some gaming but nothing too serious, more just
something to do when I get tired of working for a bit.

I want something that will run Photoshop and Lightroom especially extremely fast - not looking to hold
back due to cost to start with. Originally I was looking to get a macbook pro but decided that I could
get a better desktop pc for the same cost or possibly less.

The little bit I have read makes me think I want an i7 processor and I guess 8-12 gigs of ram (I
thought 4 was a ton last time I built one :) Was told by someone to look into an SSD drive for my OS
but to use regular drives for the data.

I am comfortable building the machine but only with the stock parts. Meaning I would prefer not to have
to go crazy installing extra fans, etc. Both my machines use the same fans that came with the
processor. I am NOT looking to overclock.

-----------------------------
My Current Build from 2007 - can anything be recycled into this machine???

Case: Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

Motherboard: ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130303

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Sound Card: Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

Hard Drive (2): Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148151

AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!! I Appreciate it!

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Shouldn't need a new HDD or sound card.
Throw/sell the memory.
Power supply is staying for sure.
The graphics card could stay unless your designing has any graphics demanding parts to it.

Definitely new mobo / Ram / Processor.

Could probably kILL up if u can wait till sandy bridge. i7 isn't a great advantage in games but it'll show its colours hre

^ He is pointed out the parts that can be recycled...
CASE, PSU, HDD(Use these for storage), Sound card and Video card if you dont do serious gaming, then the 8800GT would suffice for Photoshop, Lightroom...

How is your PC holding up right now??
End of the year ? If it can hold a bit longer, then Q1 2011 brings in a lot of newer CPUs from Intel as well as AMD...

ahansen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
It is holding up okay but I think it may be time for the upgrade. Ran into some problems about a month back where it would not startup for a day (then suddenly did again?!?) So I backed up everything just in case a second time because it is my work machine also. I could wait it if would make a huge difference, but was thinking that holiday sales might be a good time to buy the parts also.

If I were to buy now, does anyone have suggestions on what Processor, Motherboard, RAM, SSD drive for the OS and Graphics card I should get?

Regarding the graphics card: I would like to get the most recent Medal of Honor and Call of Duty so not sure if my 8800GT should be upgraded. If it is a case where it is fine now but should be down the road I would prefer to just do it all at once.

Thanks again

ahansen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I understand it can be difficult to suggest individual parts for an entire machine. I have looked around to find a similar build on this forum that I could use as a starting point. Is there a previous thread anyone would recommend that I can use to research parts that were used to build a machine similar to mine. I don't expect people to honestly be able to recommend full system parts for every post here so any help in the right direction would be great. Thanks again!

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

[strike]He's not gaming.[/strike] Fail. on my part. :p

ahansen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for the great information, I am going to review it all tonight and continue to read up on other aspects. I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Any reason to go with 12gigs of ram as opposed to 6? Also wondering about getting an SSD for the OS, everything I have read makes me think it is a no brainer.

Right now from what I have read I am leaning towards the i7-950. I am probably going to put together an initial list and post it tomorrow - hopefully someone can review and give me some feedback.

Thanks again everyone.

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

The difference between 6gb of ram and 12 is Less that 2%.

it only becomes a problem when you dont have enough of it.

and for SSD's id rather get a 300gb velociraptor @ 10,000rpm for $150

than a 64gb SSD for $150

The SSD is faster but the Price/Performance Ratio is better with a velociraptor.

ahansen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
So maybe a change of plans. As I said I am comfortable putting a machine together but I would obviously not balk at having one already built because honestly time is not something I have tons of right now :)

I came across this machine on Newegg and it seems to include what I am looking for. Price wise seems good also - any feedback on it? Is the graphics card good enough to play some of the latest games if I want (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229203

Only thing I am wondering is maybe adding a SSD drive or the velociraptor mentioned above for the OS.

Again, thanks for helping me through this process.

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

Those games aren't too GPU intensive. mainly it depends on the resolution you're playing on.
@ 1900x 1200 you probably want either X-Fire 5770 or a higher end card like a 5850 or 6850