BrokenBells123

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 weeks, sooner rather than later

Budget Range: $300 - $500 (lower the better but will pay more if it's worth it)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MS Office (mostly excel), Movies, surfing the internet, very light gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: AMD

Overclocking: Probably Not

SLI or Crossfire: Probably Not

Additional Comments:

Nothing too fancy, just something that's super fast and can multi-task without freezing up like my old one does constantly.....

Will mostly be using it for work, documents and such, but it would be used for watching dvds and downloaded movies very often. Maybe some light gaming but that's not that important. For what I'm asking I probably won't be using a high-end graphics card and I heard somewhere that a motherboard with on board graphics would suffice but I'm not sure.

The lower the price, the better, but I'd like this to last quite awhile so paying a little extra to stay more current or be easily upgradeable in the future would be a big plus

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ok starting low

$450AR
Untitled-2190.jpg

General M00n

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
I think a 5770 and a 530w PSU is a tad overkill for light gaming and playing videos.

411b.jpg

5670 would be more than adequate; Antec Earthwatts 380w is more efficient and has free shipping.

I personally prefer the NZXT Evo over the HEC Blitz case, but only because its cheaper to ship. Otherwise it mostly comes down to your personal taste as they are both excellent cases.

I prefer General M00n's build. Some of the new Rosewill PSUs actually reviewed fairly well, but are experiencing high failure rates; not to be trusted. The 380W Earthwatts is solid, quiet, and efficient.
It might be relevant to find out what is meant by "very light gaming" though. Even if played rarely, demanding titles will still need a strong video card, although the HD5670 does appear to be the obvious choice.

Some of the new Rosewill PSUs actually reviewed fairly well
Correct those would be the Rosewill Green series ^^
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Green-Series-630-W-RG630-S12-Power-Supply-Review/881/10
Efficiency was very high (up to 85%) when we pulled up to 60% from its labeled capacity (i.e., 378 W). Above that efficiency dropped, but still above the 80% mark. Voltages were always inside the allowed range, the same thing happening with noise and ripple.

Due to its good cost/benefit ratio we are giving this power supply our “Golden Award”. Of course the price was the item that most helped with this decision.

And also NZXT Beta EVO and IDE ODD combo not too great while for the same $$ best not to compromise too much on GPU

Yes, but apparently in use, they're dropping like flies. Newegg reviews are not a good source of reliable information, but they can highlight high failure rates, and some of these Rosewill Greens are croaking right and left, often for no apparent reason.
A shame really, I had hoped these inexpensive units would be decent.

General M00n

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008

My mistake, I wasn't trying to make a pun. I meant computing power not wattage power.
For the next step up at the $60 dollar price point, the two options are:

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W PSU - Well regarded and proven performance, single 40A +12V rail.

XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC602 600W PSU - Good reviews, more powerful at 12V1@30A and +12V2@22A.

Both are 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified are of a quality brand, personally I'd recommend the XIGMATEK since its cheaper to ship and is more powerful.

HOWEVER, this is only if there is a NEED for a powerful PSU & graphics card. No point in a 600W PSU and a 5770 if the OP only plays CS, Warcraft 3 or Minecraft once a week like I do.

Like jtt283 said, we need to find out a bit more about the OP's needs and then scale the accordingly.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
A 550W Truepower New could power an OC'ed i7 and SLI 460s :pt1cable: