Secondary Hard Drive preventing Windows from booting.

Hi. I'm using an OCZ vertex 4 as a boot drive and a 3 year old WD cav. black 500gb as a storage drive. Just a few hours ago, my computer suddenly restarted itself. While it usually takes less than 20s to boot up, my computer stalled at the windows loading screen for more than 2 minutes. Upon entering the desktop, I realised that the 500gb drive was not detected. I powered off my computer, unplugged the 500gb drive and everything was fine. I cannot use the windows cd to format the drive as it just hangs at the start. I can't enter my OS with the 500gb drive plugged into the motherboard. Please help.
4 answers Last reply
More about secondary hard drive preventing windows booting
  1. Check the boot order in the bios.
  2. jwl2 said:
    Check the boot order in the bios.

dude please...

I am having a similar issue... I don't really expect anyone to answer this within a week so I'm just gonna keep searching other places instead... :/
  3. goaten said:
    jwl2 said:
    Check the boot order in the bios.

dude please...

I am having a similar issue... I don't really expect anyone to answer this within a week so I'm just gonna keep searching other places instead... :/

Similar problems here, windows 8.1 installed on disk 0[ssd], windows 7 installed on disk 1[ssd], storage on disk 2[hdd], and my games installed on disk 3[ssd] no partitions besides the mbr on disk 0. it was working fine then one day it hung at the windows loading screen on both OS's. unplugged disk 3 and they boot up fine. neither OS's will boot into the desktop with that disk plugged in.
  4. My hard drive turned out to have crashed. It's on service right now. Seemed pretty serious they need a donator HDD for parts to be able to salvage the data. So yeah if this happens it's very likely that your HDD is in a very bad state and if you manage to boot, back up your data asap.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computers Storage