Asus Nvidia issues....uhg...

shutterspeed

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I am having a computer build nightmare right now. I have an Asus M4n98TD EVO and originally put in some Geil 4GB sticks for 16GB. Even though I called Asus and they recommended them, when I put them in, the machine would not work (on top of having the first Asus board having a bad RAID controller nad needing to be replaced) Windows would just freeze up on the welcome screen, and at one point I could not even get into safe mode.

Anyway, it is a liquid cooled AMD Phenom II x4 965 with 16 GB of Corsair 1333MHz DDR3 memory now, and dual ENGTS450 1GB video cards, and 2TB RAID1 drives -7200 Seagate Baracudas.

After all kinds of issues and time on tech support (which seems to have gone downhill fast with ASUS since they got into the completed computer market...) it seems that the Nvidia drivers are the issue. I am running Win7 Ultimate.

When I uninstall all the Nvidia drivers, and windows installs the default stuff, everything seems fine. When I install the Nvidia driver set, Windows freezes up on me at random, and half the time will not even finish loading.

I am not sure what to do except abandon this whole build. If none of the Nvidia drivers work, what am I to do? It seems that Nvidia doesn't care as I cannot get anyone to talk to me on the phone or return my call, and my emails have gone unanswered. Asus tells me it is an Nvidia problem and out of their hands.

How about them apples?

Anyone have any ideas? I am so deep into this machine now, and in need of what it will potentially do, that I don't really want to abandon this build. Not to mention the money spent, which was not all that much really, but still money out of pocket.

Try only running with 8GB of memory, 4 4GB sticks may require a slight voltage boost, but two sticks should be more reliable.

nVidia is not known for having spectacular chipsets, especially with AMD boards, that was one of the best parts about the p55 and x58 chipsets being SLI capable, it provided an SLI option that didnt come from nVidia.

shutterspeed

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Well, I want to use the machine for photoshop 64 bit, and the 16GB of RAM was exactly waht the baord is supposed to be rated for, and I need all of it. I am delaing with digital medium format images, some of which are over 300MB for just one image. I am also trying a 128MB SSD as my photoshop swap drive, but haven't even gotten that far yet. I only have a fresh win7 ultimate install in there.

I mean really...if a board says it will run something...shouldn't it be able to run it? I mean, in any other industry...isnt that fraud? Imagine if a drug company sold a drug that cured cancer, but didn't...what would happen there? Obviously a more serious thing, but methaphorically speaking...you know what I mean...

It seems to be running fine with 16GB as long as the NVidia drivers are uninstalled, which really pisses me off. I dont see how or why they would put out a driver that doesnt work. I just dont get it, or why something cant be done about it...

4745454b

Titan
Is there a reason you can't use the windows default ones? I installed the chipset drivers on my x38 board, only to discover that my USB ports no longer worked. After trying everything I could think of I simply deleted the driver from the device manager, and rebooted. Windows installed the default ones again, and I have USB ports. I don't understand it but I'd rather have working USB ports then the chipset drivers.

^Agreed, no point in installing drivers unless they will fix a problem you are having, same reason you dont flash the BIOS.

The board does support 16GB of ram, in ideal situations and not necessarily the configuration you have. The chipset is willing to handle up to 16GB of ram, but not all memory kits will be stable at their rated speeds and timings in all boards once all memory slots are filled. All components are tested and certified in ideal conditions, once you start mixing its not really anyone's fault if the configuration doesnt work.

shutterspeed

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
great, so I asked Asus what they can tell me works...and they dont seem to be able to. So how can they promote the board as being 2000Mhz RAM capable with 16GB and then not have it be able to do that under any conditions. That seems like fraud to me...selling something that does not do what they say it will do...the standard windows driver has been running stable now for two days. No problems. But I can only get limited reach and rex with it of course.

How can someone sell a product that does not do what it says it will do. I have all asus Invidia based stuff...not a lot of "mixing" going on here...its all their stuff, and using what they recommended...

Uhg.