Just a cpu question

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I decided to upgrade to a better computer. So I started buying parts. Budget was a big factor. So I bought an AMD PhenomIIx4 940 black addition, unlocked multiplier. I got the chip for $90 after $40 rebate. I found that this model was a bit cheaper than a later chip. I think I know the reason why. This chip is for an AM2+ socket. The next one up was for a AM3. I think the only difference is that the socket AM3 processor will support DDR3 memory. Is there any other difference? The motherboard I bought is a price compromise as well Gygabyte MA785GM-US2H but I think it will do nicely. It is a socket AM3 in case I decide to upgrade again later. 2 gigs of DDR2 800mhz. My hope is that this machine will be a fair bit better at converting video files from one format to another. I do a lot of that. Right now I'm using a single core P4 2.93Ghz.Long winded for a simple cpu question but I thought a bit more info would be helpful.

Solution

You are correct. AM2+ CPU will work only with DDR2 RAM while AM3 CPU will work with both DDR2 & DDR3.
I am not sure on your question here. That processor will be light years faster then your P4 if thats what your asking. You are going from a single core P4 which were crap in the first place to a quad core that is built on much newer architecture and utilizes newer sets of instructions. Encoding videos will be like 50 times faster on that setup.

If the board uses DDR2 RAM I believe that is just an AM2+ board with AM3 CPU support.

The Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H board he picked out supports the 940 so hes good.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

The Gigabyte board will run AM2+ and AM3 chips. My question was what is the difference between the phenomII socket AM2+ and the phenomII socket AM3? I believe it is ddr3 memory support and that's about it.

randomkid

Distinguished

You are correct. AM2+ CPU will work only with DDR2 RAM while AM3 CPU will work with both DDR2 & DDR3.

Solution