UT2004: Weird map problem since last patch

There's a map called Ranger SESMU. In the center node there are two
"bubble" tunnels that when you walk into them you are whisked along quickly
to the other side. I never had any problems before but now when I walk into
one my PC totally freezes up requiring a reboot. This is the only problem
I've had so I can avoid those tunnels I just wondered if anyone else had
played this map with the newest patch (3323) & experienced this as well...

Schism

"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
> There's a map called Ranger SESMU. In the center node there are two
> "bubble" tunnels that when you walk into them you are whisked along
> quickly
> to the other side. I never had any problems before but now when I walk
> into
> one my PC totally freezes up requiring a reboot. This is the only problem
> I've had so I can avoid those tunnels I just wondered if anyone else had
> played this map with the newest patch (3323) & experienced this as well...

No, the tunnels work fine for me, no problem.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Paul C. wrote:
> There's a map called Ranger SESMU. In the center node there are two
> "bubble" tunnels that when you walk into them you are whisked along quickly
> to the other side. I never had any problems before but now when I walk into
> one my PC totally freezes up requiring a reboot. This is the only problem
> I've had so I can avoid those tunnels I just wondered if anyone else had
> played this map with the newest patch (3323) & experienced this as well...

Never seen it (that map). Do you have a download link?

--
Remove the DOT's to reply

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:11:26 GMT, "Paul C."
<Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote:

>There's a map called Ranger SESMU. In the center node there are two
>"bubble" tunnels that when you walk into them you are whisked along quickly
>to the other side. I never had any problems before but now when I walk into
>one my PC totally freezes up requiring a reboot. This is the only problem
>I've had so I can avoid those tunnels I just wondered if anyone else had
>played this map with the newest patch (3323) & experienced this as well...

I'm not familiar with the map, so I'm taking a wild guess here....

Is there a unique sound associated with being whisked through the
tunnel? If so, maybe it's a sound issue. Try turning down the
hardware acceleration for your sound card to see if that helps.

Schism

Loaded it to my site: http://s87749883.onlinehome.us/ONS-RangerSEMSU.zip

Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:11:26 GMT, "Paul C."
> <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote:
>
>>There's a map called Ranger SESMU. In the center node there are two
>>"bubble" tunnels that when you walk into them you are whisked along
>>quickly to the other side. I never had any problems before but now
>>when I walk into one my PC totally freezes up requiring a reboot. This
>>is the only problem I've had so I can avoid those tunnels I just
>>wondered if anyone else had played this map with the newest patch
>>(3323) & experienced this as well...
>
> I'm not familiar with the map, so I'm taking a wild guess here....
>
> Is there a unique sound associated with being whisked through the
> tunnel? If so, maybe it's a sound issue. Try turning down the
> hardware acceleration for your sound card to see if that helps.

Well it only became an issue after the patch. Thanks for the suggestion
though :)

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Schism wrote:

> Loaded it to my site: http://s87749883.onlinehome.us/ONS-RangerSEMSU.zip

Got it - ta.

Tried it - not a problem in sight (or in the tunnels).

I agree with the other replies, look to your video and sound
card drivers and settings first. If I turn on the EAX feature of
my Audigy - crash withing a couple of mins. Leave it off and I
can play for hours without a murmer. There's no telling if the
patch isn't using some feature that wasn't being used before.

Another possibility is the current state of your 2K4
installation. You could try a reinstall followed by just 3323
(you don't need the ones in between) and then curse me 'cause it
made no difference ;)

Sorry I cant give a definitive answer, those sort of problems
can be a pig to track down.

Hope any of that waffle helps :)

Steve

--
Remove the DOT's to reply

> Sorry I cant give a definitive answer, those sort of problems
> can be a pig to track down.
>
> Hope any of that waffle helps :)
>
> Steve

Yes I figured it's some stupid quirk unique to my install/PC but I just
thought I'd ask in case anyone else had experienced it. Thanks for the
suggestions, it's the only problem I have so it's pretty minor anyway. :)