UPDATED - Real temp vs Asus bios temp accuracy - NEW INFO

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I know, I know, yet another temp question. I just finished my sandy bridge build 2500k Asus p8p67 deluxe. From initial boot in the uefi bios Asus was giving me cpu temps around 38. Throughout all the installs and reboots it stabilized around 40 I would consider most of this very light usage to mostly idle. I then installed real temp and it gave me drastically different results 29 to 31. I'm using a xigmatek Gaia cooler and ic diamond 7 thermal compound. Its the first time I've used that thermal compound and that cooler. Also using a corsair 600t.

I would love for real temp results to be accurate and would hate for the boards temps to be accurate. I have yet to do load temps. I want to figure out which one to go with first.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

If that's the case with realtemp then why do most overclockers recommend real temp to monitor CPU temps. 10 centigrade is a large amount to be off especially when people push their CPUs to the edge. The board did not come with a temp probe.

Anyone have any experience with real temp or a more accurate program for sandy bridge? If the bois is accurate than why aren't people using programs that pull the readings from the bios?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Asus PC Probe is not a physical probe, it's actually a decent piece of software. I've found mine to be quite close to BIOS temps, so it might be worth downloading the software and just checking. Sometimes newer coolers and mods can make BIOS temps read funny at startup.

But I must say that 40'C idle for the 2500K is a bit high. My Core 2 Quad Q8400 runs at 10% OC and idles at 40'C... Best figure out what's what. If your CPU is running hot you should have it looked at.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
My i2500k idles along on one core @37x @ 16c. True, I have a massive Noctua cooler, but your Xigmatek is still decent for it's size and should have your CPU running much lower than 40°c. Your loaded temps will not be pretty.
I would recommend pulling the cooler and spreading a much thinner layer of paste and see what that does for you. If that doesn't help, try a different thermal compound.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Thanks I'll check it out. That's why I was asking for peoples input. If it really is running 40 at idle I'm going to reset the heat sink and maybe try new thermal compound.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Gotcha!

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
PC probe does a decent job. I have found that it will sometimes have an error when reading some temperatures. It is highly dependant on the motherboard and when it was wrong, it was easily distinguishable due to the large variance in what was expected vs shown.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Reseating is a good idea. I know many people generally say "use a pea-sized amount" of compound, but pea-sized is WAY too much. I like to think more to the size of a BB bullet (them little plastic BB balls), and even smaller. Place the drop in the center of the CPU, and DON'T SPREAD IT AROUND. Let the pressure from the heatsink force it to where it needs to go. If it gets a little weak seating then the compound will go where it needs to, and give better heat transfer.

Good luck, I hate it when things like this happen to me!

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

You need to know your ambient temperature before you can say 40c is too high. If you have an ambient temperature over 16c you can never achieve an idle of 16c on air or water. If the ambient temperature is 35C then 40C is quite reasonable.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

I did exactly as you described except used a pea sized drop of compound. I'll definitely reseat. Not looking forward to cleaning off the diamond compound. Hopefully alcohol will cut it.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Ambient temps right around 21C. So I wouldn't expect 40C.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I installed AI Suite II with Asus Probe Idle temps were at or lower than what real temp was displaying. BIOS was still displaying around 39C real temp was hanging around 29-30C with max of 31C Probe was showing 26-28C.

I ran the 10min temp test in real temp with prime95 Asus Probe was dead on with the hottest core in Real temp. I'm pretty confident that the BIOS temps are inaccurate.
My max core temps during the prime95 run were as follows 44C 48C 51C 51C. Now I'm wondering should I still re-seat my heat sink. 7C is a big discrepancy between the hottest and coldest core. Shouldn't heat be consistent across all cores? I would ideally love to get 44C as the max on all 4.

Once again your input is appreciated.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

I think you're right. I have a Core i7 2600K overclocked to 4.6 ghz and my BIOS show right around 40 C (ASRock P67 4Extreme board)

RealTemp, Core Temp, and CPUID HW monitor always show it idling anywhere from 27-30 C

the_avenger

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
I have a similar problem: just configured my system (Asus P9X79 Deluxe with Intel i7 3930K and Corsair H100), not overclocked at the moment. I assume I have put a bit too much thermal paste and will reseat soon but I am making some first temperature checks. I get these readings at idle:

Asus Probe II: 30°C
RealTemp: 38°C
BIOS: 40°C

I tried putting some load on the system using Primer95 for a while and Asus Probe went up to 56°C while RealTemp was way off at 75°C. I made an automatic overclock test with the Asus Ai Suite II and that put the temperature from RealTemp at 85°C or even more while testing the optimal configuration (I did not check with Probe at that time).

Which numbers shall I trust and does anyone know what the target temperature for this system should be (ambient temperature about 21°C)?

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
Why was RealTemp way off at 75°C? RealTemp is telling you your peak core temperature. The hottest spot on a core is significantly hotter than the sensor that Asus Probe is reporting data from.

RealTemp GT 3.70 will report your Core i7-3930K peak core temperature very accurately.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html

For over 6 years, Intel CPUs have been controlling thermal throttling and thermal shutdown based solely on the peak core temperature. Temperature monitoring software that does not report the core temperature is useless.