Sign in with
Your question

Need SSD help

Last response: in Storage
February 22, 2013 3:48:22 PM

I am trying to install an SSD as primary in a Lenovo J115 738726U desktop. When I try to do a clean install I get this message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

After some research, I find that the motherboard does not have an option for enabling ACHI. What now? Is there a way to solve this?

At the moment, it is being used and a small but fast external drive!

If you have an answer for me, please tell me like you're talking to a 5th grader!

Thanks,

terpfanumcp

More about : ssd

a c 167 G Storage
February 22, 2013 4:23:34 PM

Without ahci enabled in the bios, you will be running in IDE mode.
Your SSD should still run, but may not perform quite as well. Still much better than a hard drive.
A SSD looks exactly like any other sata hard drive. Windows detects that it is a SSD by it's speed only.

What OS are you trying to install? Your pc came with xp or vista, and the drivers may not have been included. Are you trying to recover using some lenovo recovery dvd?

If you are using a windows 7 dvd, I would expect no particular problem.

Doing a clean install, you will want to pick the option to initialize the ssd as a bootable drive.
m
l
February 22, 2013 6:05:17 PM

I'm trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate, on a pc already running with Windows 7 Ultimate. I actually removed the primary drive that it installed on, and replaced it with the

formatted SSD, so there was no os in place when I attempted to install it. The SSD runs fine as an external on the same system.
m
l
March 5, 2013 2:23:29 PM

I finally got it! I used the OCV tools to do a secure erase and update the firmware; I then reset the CMOS on my PC, and voila!...I was able to install Windows 7 with no problem onto the SSD. Didn't need to even access the BIOS.
m
l
!