Quad monitor set up

johno47

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
hi...i am attempting qms and wondering if what i have will work...hp xw6400 dual dual xeon 2.66 processors..4 gb ram..onboard graphics nvid 285 dual head..hoping for nvid view on quad set up via pci card (quadro4 400 nvs)and also have 2 monitors running on dual head onboard grahics. os is win xp pro

johno47

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

how about i take out the 285 and put 2 nvs 440 in pci express slots

While I think the power supply in the case may be adequate, there is a chance it is not. There are not many "575W" PSUs and the only ones I have heard of are inferior HEC units. If you encounter any issues with the setup, suspect the PSU first.

The rest of the system seems very good.

The maximum monitor resolution is going to be 1920x1200.

Your monitors get power from the wall not the PC :) 19" monitors seem small to me for multi-monitor setup, but then I don't know what you are using them for. I would guess you are needing to monitor many applications and/or windows at once, so if those are going to work well at 19" I guess that's OK.

johno47

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
thanx again proximo...hoping to use them to do some trading on betting exchanges with constantly refreshing markets and also running some trading software... so more would be better. really appreciate the info

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

It should indicate on the specs page from the manufacturer. As Proximon pointed out previously, the monitors draw directly from the wall and don't affect your PSU choice.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
If you don't already have the monitors, you might consider going with a new ATI card that supports up to 6 monitors on its own. The 55xx and 56xx series are good low-power choices, but you would need two (for 3 monitors apiece). The 68xx series can drive up to 5 or 6 monitors on a single card with DisplayPort chaining, I believe.

The downside would be that some, possibly most of the monitors would need to have a DisplayPort input, rather than the traditional DVI or DB9 port.

You don't need to worry about a larger monitor taxing the card more. It will be fine.

While you are at it, you might want to have a look at a program that puts a task bar and start menu on each monitor:
http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

http://www.displayfusion.com/