Regarding 2 x 4GB RAM Sticks

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello all,

Forgive me if this seems like a dimwitted question but will this seemingly new type of DDR3 RAM sticks (each sporting 4GB per stick rather than 2GB) be compatible with my existing setup?

See my sig for my machine's loadout.

See here for an example of the sticks i'm talking about: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-xms3-ddr3-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-27-165v

The only reason why i ask is that i'm looking to expand my memory while keeping it in dual channel mode, and this appears to be the perfect solution.

Thanks.

The size of the sticks really doesn't matter as long as you don't surpass the maximum the board can handle. Most modern boards support at least 16 GB with 4 slots, which basically amounts to 4 GB per stick.

I should also point out that dual channel doesn't just mean two sticks. It means multiples of two sticks. You could easily buy a second set of 2x2 GB to match what you already have.

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'd also like to add that dual channel works best with identical modules of RAMs. So if you're planning to extend your current 4 Gb by another 2x2GB as MadAdmiral suggested, make sure you buy the exact same brand and model you currently have.

Also, I hope you know that for normal uses like intensive gaming, media applications etc., anything more than 4GB is unnecessary.

As an example, CoD: Black Ops (which sports some serious memory leaks), consumes about 1-1.5 GB RAM on my system (most games don't get close to that), Windows 7 would need about 700 MB - 1GB of RAM (worst case), and say you have firefox and music playing (not sure why you'd want to surf the net or play music while gaming, but just in case) and some other random applications (anti-virus etc.) which consume another 1 GB (which is on the higher side...i'm being generous), the total RAM your system is consuming is under 4Gb. And this is a worst case scenario. You won't need more than 4GB.