Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ONS maps problem

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 12, 2004 2:23:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

The castle-type bases in the Frostbite ONS map in UT2004 are all totally
black. There is no detail whatsoever in the buildings, so obviously its
hard for me to play this map.
The only change I have made since the maps used to play ok, was a chnage
to the screen resolution, but I have since changed the res back to my
previous settings, and its just the same. All other settings are the
defaults :( 

I've just been trying some of the maps offline. Some of them have no
picture in the 'Preview' pane (even the originals, Dawn and Arctic) and
these maps will not load at all, though they load and play fine online!

Any ideas anyone? I suppose a reinstall will fix it. Perhaps something
has become corrupted.

I'm using XP Pro
MSI K7N2 Delta mobo
XP2500+
Radeon 9600XT
Comfy leather chair

More about : ons maps problem

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:34:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

sloper wrote:
> The castle-type bases in the Frostbite ONS map in UT2004 are all totally
> black. There is no detail whatsoever in the buildings, so obviously its
> hard for me to play this map.
>
> I'm using XP Pro
> MSI K7N2 Delta mobo
> XP2500+
> Radeon 9600XT
> Comfy leather chair


The tried-and-true thing to do is switch from Direct3D or OpenGL to the
other, and see if the problem goes away.
October 15, 2004 2:49:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Dekaritae wrote:

> The tried-and-true thing to do is switch from Direct3D or OpenGL to the
> other, and see if the problem goes away.

And?
I've always used D3D in UT2004. Up until now, without a problem.
Related resources
October 15, 2004 10:23:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:49:53 +0100, sloper <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>And?
>I've always used D3D in UT2004. Up until now, without a problem.

It is called trouble shooting, the previous poster offered a way to
help narrow down the problem.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
October 15, 2004 11:56:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

sloper enlightened us with:
> And? I've always used D3D in UT2004. Up until now, without a
> problem.

And? You do have a problem now, so you should change something in
order to fix it. Dekaritae offered you a possible solution, so you'd
better try it. If people see you don't use the help they offer,
*nobody* is going to help you.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 4:26:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:49:53 +0100, sloper <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Dekaritae wrote:
>
>> The tried-and-true thing to do is switch from Direct3D or OpenGL to the
>> other, and see if the problem goes away.
>
>And?
>I've always used D3D in UT2004. Up until now, without a problem.

Not to mention that UT2004 was designed and intended to be a D3D
title, and that OGL will come with a slight performance penalty.

Corrupted textures would normally be either bad video drivers or
corrupted UT2004 files. So, you could try re-installing your video
drivers or re-installing the game.

You might also try making a copy of your UT2004.ini file and then
using a copy of the 'default.ini' file to see if an incorrect .ini
setting is causing your problem. Don't just rename 'default.ini', but
make a copy of it and name it UT2004.ini. You want to keep a good
copy of 'default.ini' in case you need to do this again.
October 16, 2004 12:38:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Folk enlightened us with:
> Not to mention that UT2004 was designed and intended to be a D3D
> title

That's perhaps only true of the Windows version of the game.

> and that OGL will come with a slight performance penalty.

On Windows.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
October 16, 2004 3:15:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Folk wrote:

> Corrupted textures would normally be either bad video drivers or
> corrupted UT2004 files. So, you could try re-installing your video
> drivers or re-installing the game.
>
> You might also try making a copy of your UT2004.ini file and then
> using a copy of the 'default.ini' file to see if an incorrect .ini
> setting is causing your problem. Don't just rename 'default.ini', but
> make a copy of it and name it UT2004.ini. You want to keep a good
> copy of 'default.ini' in case you need to do this again.

The same bad textures I see in ONS Frostbite are used in other maps
aren't they(?), so I would have expected the same fault in those other
maps. However, I'll try your suggestions. Thanks Folk.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 2:10:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:38:12 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Folk enlightened us with:
>> Not to mention that UT2004 was designed and intended to be a D3D
>> title
>
>That's perhaps only true of the Windows version of the game.

You mean the non-ported, game-as-originally designed version?

>> and that OGL will come with a slight performance penalty.
>
>On Windows.

How do you know that it wouldn't run faster under Linux with a
superior underlying 3D rendering subsystem like DirectX? ;-)
October 17, 2004 2:08:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Folk enlightened us with:
> You mean the non-ported, game-as-originally designed version?

Nah ;-)

> How do you know that it wouldn't run faster under Linux with a
> superior underlying 3D rendering subsystem like DirectX? ;-)

LOL funny ;-)

Point taken, though. On the other hand: the original UT run about 10
FPS better on Linux/OpenGL than it did on Windows/D3D. That was on my
computer, back in the days that I also had Windows ;-)

After the original UT, I never installed any UT on Windows, so I can't
compare UT2k3/4.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
!