Toshiba Satellite drive upgrade advice

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 10:46:06 PM

Hi
Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this and which drive to choose-
its a Satellite 3000x4 4200 rpm, 15gb Toshiba HD(which seems a bit slow at
times), XP home, 256 RAM.

Thx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 11:59:01 PM

"Will James" <will646637@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this and which drive to choose-
> its a Satellite 3000x4 4200 rpm, 15gb Toshiba HD(which seems a bit slow at
> times), XP home, 256 RAM.
>
> Thx
just to add, will I be able to use the Toshiba recovery disk to install XP
on the new drive or will I need a new version? What advantages/disadvantages
are there between Home and Pro versions??

Thx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 11:59:02 PM

Will James wrote:-
> "Will James" <will646637@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this and which drive to
>> choose- its a Satellite 3000x4 4200 rpm, 15gb Toshiba HD(which seems
>> a bit slow at times), XP home, 256 RAM.
>>
>> Thx
> just to add, will I be able to use the Toshiba recovery disk to
> install XP on the new drive or will I need a new version? What
> advantages/disadvantages are there between Home and Pro versions??
>
> Thx

Supposing you have a CD burner in your unit, just use BootIt NG to burn a
backup to a bunch of CD-R's. (As a hint, look at the used space on your disk
, in GB's, and multiply by 2. That will give you a rough idea of the number
of CD-R's you will need.) When you pop in the new HDD, use BootIt NG to
restore it.

BootIT NG is shareware but they allow you 30 days to test it. So test it,
already.
a b D Laptop
January 25, 2005 3:23:32 AM

"LittleMac" <NOSPAM@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Will James wrote:-
> > "Will James" <will646637@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >> Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this and which drive to
> >> choose- its a Satellite 3000x4 4200 rpm, 15gb Toshiba HD(which seems
> >> a bit slow at times), XP home, 256 RAM.
> >>
> >> Thx
> > just to add, will I be able to use the Toshiba recovery disk to
> > install XP on the new drive or will I need a new version? What
> > advantages/disadvantages are there between Home and Pro versions??
> >
> > Thx
>
> Supposing you have a CD burner in your unit, just use BootIt NG to burn a
> backup to a bunch of CD-R's. (As a hint, look at the used space on your
disk
> , in GB's, and multiply by 2. That will give you a rough idea of the
number
> of CD-R's you will need.) When you pop in the new HDD, use BootIt NG to
> restore it.
>
> BootIT NG is shareware but they allow you 30 days to test it. So test it,
> already.

Thanks for the advice- my old drive has been damaged by a virus/trojan (has
undeletable files) so I won't really want to copy the old data over.

Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 25, 2005 4:00:56 AM

You should be able to use your recovery disk to reinstall the system.
However, what most people want to do is to copy the old system from the
old drive to the new drive to move all of their data and settings. That
is best done with a drive image utility like Ghost or Drive Image. It
may still be necessary to do a "repair installation", in some cases. If
you do use the recovery disk, you might want to run the "files and
settings transfer wizzard" to move your settings from the old system to
the new system (you run this on the old system before removing the old
drive, it will produce a file that you need to save on a CD or network
for importing into the new system later.]

Almost any replacement drive will probably work. Certainly you will
want a larger drive (at least 30 gigs) and probably a faster one.

The primary differences between Home and Pro are the ability to log onto
a domain-based network, remote desktop, and full NTFS permissions and
security. For most users who don't need these features, Home is fine.

You will have to figure out how to get physical access to the drive, on
most models that's trivial (door on the bottom of the laptop, one or 2
screws), but on a [thankfully] few models, you have to do a major
disassembly to access the hard drive.

Will James wrote:
> "Will James" <will646637@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>> Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this and which drive to choose-
>>its a Satellite 3000x4 4200 rpm, 15gb Toshiba HD(which seems a bit slow at
>>times), XP home, 256 RAM.
>>
>>Thx
>
> just to add, will I be able to use the Toshiba recovery disk to install XP
> on the new drive or will I need a new version? What advantages/disadvantages
> are there between Home and Pro versions??
>
> Thx

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 25, 2005 2:36:33 PM

Will -

I did this on an older Toshiba model, but maybe yours is similar - I
got the installation instructions here -
http://www.bixnet.com/sat16.html

Have fun!

- Gail Phillips

Will James wrote:
> Hi
> Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this and which drive to
choose-
> its a Satellite 3000x4 4200 rpm, 15gb Toshiba HD(which seems a bit
slow at
> times), XP home, 256 RAM.
>
> Thx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 25, 2005 4:02:39 PM

> You should be able to use your recovery disk to reinstall the system.
> However, what most people want to do is to copy the old system from the
> old drive to the new drive to move all of their data and settings. That
> is best done with a drive image utility like Ghost or Drive Image. It
> may still be necessary to do a "repair installation", in some cases. If
> you do use the recovery disk, you might want to run the "files and
> settings transfer wizzard" to move your settings from the old system to
> the new system (you run this on the old system before removing the old
> drive, it will produce a file that you need to save on a CD or network
> for importing into the new system later.]
>
> Almost any replacement drive will probably work. Certainly you will
> want a larger drive (at least 30 gigs) and probably a faster one.
>
> The primary differences between Home and Pro are the ability to log onto
> a domain-based network, remote desktop, and full NTFS permissions and
> security. For most users who don't need these features, Home is fine.
>
> You will have to figure out how to get physical access to the drive, on
> most models that's trivial (door on the bottom of the laptop, one or 2
> screws), but on a [thankfully] few models, you have to do a major
> disassembly to access the hard drive.

Thanks for your reply. I don't really want to transfer much from the old
drive over as it is currently infected with a nasty trojan which I cant seem
to remove. Could I just plug in the new drive then put in the old Toshiba
recovery CD - will it partition and format the drive (FAT32 or NTFS)? The
only thing that concerns me about a faster drive (curr. 4200rpm) is the
laptop already gets pretty hot so I'm worried any drive that gives out more
heat may be a bad idea. Also is power management an issue- it currently uses
the Toshiba power management program instead of the Windows power
management?

Cheers,

Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 26, 2005 7:48:57 PM

Thank for the link.. I think my Toshiba model is slightly different, but I
think I can see the HD compartment so hopefully it shouldnt be too hard.

Cheers,

Will
"figglywig" <figglywig@att.net> wrote in message
> Will -
>
> I did this on an older Toshiba model, but maybe yours is similar - I
> got the installation instructions here -
> http://www.bixnet.com/sat16.html
>
> Have fun!
>
> - Gail Phillips
>
> Will James wrote:
> > Hi
> > Can anyone give me an idea on how to do this and which drive to
> choose-
> > its a Satellite 3000x4 4200 rpm, 15gb Toshiba HD(which seems a bit
> slow at
> > times), XP home, 256 RAM.
> >
> > Thx

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 3:10:04 PM

Will James wrote:
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> You should be able to use your recovery disk to reinstall the system.
>> However, what most people want to do is to copy the old system from
>> the old drive to the new drive to move all of their data and
>> settings. That is best done with a drive image utility like Ghost
>> or Drive Image. It may still be necessary to do a "repair
>> installation", in some cases. If you do use the recovery disk, you
>> might want to run the "files and settings transfer wizzard" to move
>> your settings from the old system to the new system (you run this on
>> the old system before removing the old drive, it will produce a file
>> that you need to save on a CD or network for importing into the new
>> system later.]
>>
>> Almost any replacement drive will probably work. Certainly you will
>> want a larger drive (at least 30 gigs) and probably a faster one.
>>
>> The primary differences between Home and Pro are the ability to log
>> onto a domain-based network, remote desktop, and full NTFS
>> permissions and security. For most users who don't need these
>> features, Home is fine.
>>
>> You will have to figure out how to get physical access to the drive,
>> on most models that's trivial (door on the bottom of the laptop, one
>> or 2 screws), but on a [thankfully] few models, you have to do a
>> major disassembly to access the hard drive.
>
> Thanks for your reply. I don't really want to transfer much from the
> old drive over as it is currently infected with a nasty trojan which
> I cant seem to remove. Could I just plug in the new drive then put in
> the old Toshiba recovery CD - will it partition and format the drive
> (FAT32 or NTFS)? The only thing that concerns me about a faster drive
> (curr. 4200rpm) is the laptop already gets pretty hot so I'm worried
> any drive that gives out more heat may be a bad idea. Also is power
> management an issue- it currently uses the Toshiba power management
> program instead of the Windows power management?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Will

I can understand that you don't want to copy the virus'ed files. What you
*can* do with these CD-backups is use a free utility on the BootIt-NG site
to read these CD's as though they were a separate HDD and selectively copy
your personal data on the new HDD, with virtually no fear of new infection.
You see, your personal data isn't lost at all.
!