Sign in with
Your question

Switched to 6 Gb/s from 3 Gb/s and win 8 won't boot

Last response: in Storage
February 22, 2013 8:05:37 PM

Greetings,

I have windows 8 installed on an SSD. The sata cable was plugged into a 3 Gb/s port. I switched it to a 6 g/b port, and when I try to start windows, I get the blue screen (there was an error and your pc needs to restart) just after the blue windows logo.

Motherboard: Gigabyte x58a-udr rev 2.0
SSD: Samsung 830

Thanks in advance.

More about : switched win boot

a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 8:32:49 PM

boot with the 3gb controller and check you got the 6gb ports controller drivers installed (device manager)

windows (regardless what people say) *WILL* boot from various ports and controllers as long as windows can see them (the device, as in fully installed) *BEFORE* you switch them over
m
l
February 22, 2013 9:14:48 PM

Thanks for the response.

The marvell sata 6G controller is listed under Storage Controllers in the device manager, but I still have the same problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 544 G Storage
February 22, 2013 10:21:38 PM

Just switching SATA ports shouldn't cause a BSOD.

Did you have your SATA port in IDE mode on your 3Gb/s port and now have it in AHCI mode on your 6Gb/s port? If so, that's what's causing your BSOD.
m
l
February 23, 2013 12:22:49 AM

No, it's set to AHCI under both ports. Oh well. I'll just reinstall windows. If anything strange happens I'll report it here! :bounce: 
m
l
a c 361 G Storage
February 23, 2013 3:10:59 AM

Here's a thought. In the BIOS where you set up your Boot Priority Sequence, each device is normally listed as you might expect - a Pioneer DVD drive, a WD 2 TB drive, an Intel SSD, etc. But the truth is that the BIOS keeps track of these things by remembering the specific PORT it is attached to. So your machine was set to boot from the SSD, but REALLY that means it was booting from one particular 3 Gb/s port. Then you moved the SSD! It is NOT on that port any more, but your BIOS does not tell you that is why it can't be found!

So, try this. Boot directly into BIOS Setup and delete that SSD from the Boot Priority Sequence. Save and Exit and it will not boot, of course. Shut down if you have to, to connect it to the 6 Gb/s port you want. Now boot into BIOS Setup again and go back to setting the Boot Priority Sequence. It will show you that SSD unit, and you can set it to be the (probably second, after the optical drive) choice boot device. Save and Exit again, and it should boot from that SSD that has been properly re-found.
m
l
February 23, 2013 4:16:14 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I already successfully re-installed windows from the new port! I hope someone else will try what you prescribed. Thanks.
m
l
!