Switched to 6 Gb/s from 3 Gb/s and win 8 won't boot

PRichardson

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Greetings,

I have windows 8 installed on an SSD. The sata cable was plugged into a 3 Gb/s port. I switched it to a 6 g/b port, and when I try to start windows, I get the blue screen (there was an error and your pc needs to restart) just after the blue windows logo.

Motherboard: Gigabyte x58a-udr rev 2.0
SSD: Samsung 830

Thanks in advance.

boot with the 3gb controller and check you got the 6gb ports controller drivers installed (device manager)

windows (regardless what people say) *WILL* boot from various ports and controllers as long as windows can see them (the device, as in fully installed) *BEFORE* you switch them over

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Here's a thought. In the BIOS where you set up your Boot Priority Sequence, each device is normally listed as you might expect - a Pioneer DVD drive, a WD 2 TB drive, an Intel SSD, etc. But the truth is that the BIOS keeps track of these things by remembering the specific PORT it is attached to. So your machine was set to boot from the SSD, but REALLY that means it was booting from one particular 3 Gb/s port. Then you moved the SSD! It is NOT on that port any more, but your BIOS does not tell you that is why it can't be found!

So, try this. Boot directly into BIOS Setup and delete that SSD from the Boot Priority Sequence. Save and Exit and it will not boot, of course. Shut down if you have to, to connect it to the 6 Gb/s port you want. Now boot into BIOS Setup again and go back to setting the Boot Priority Sequence. It will show you that SSD unit, and you can set it to be the (probably second, after the optical drive) choice boot device. Save and Exit again, and it should boot from that SSD that has been properly re-found.