Sign in with
Your question

Need major help in choosing a gaming mice + gaming mouse pad

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2011 2:05:52 PM

I will start with the gaming mice. Well I've been looking for a new gaming mouse for about a month now and I simply cannot decide what to get, I mean first I want this mouse then I see a bad review about this one and I want another one and then the cycle begins again.. I will give you guys a list of the mice I like and PLEASE DO NOT give me a recommendation for another gaming mouse because I've already looked at the whole market and chosen what I liked. Ok so this is the list:

The mice that I am about to take off my list but am unsure
Cyborg R.A.T 7- I hear a lot of people are having tracking problems with it and it will not work on any gaming mouse pad, also I hear that Saitek has bad costumer support.

Logitech G700- bad scroll wheel, which kinda makes me think twice about getting this one, as for Logitech themselves I have no problem with them, all of my gaming supplies (headphones, keyboard etc.) are all logitech, the problem is I want something new and not stick with 1 company all the time..

As for the ones I am really considering:

Mionix NAOS 5000- kinda caught my attention a couple of days ago, Never heard of the company before and I buy products from only companies that can stand behind their products ..

Cyber Snipa Silencer Mouse- looks like a really sexy mouse so far I have not seen negative reviews and this really caught my eye attention because unlike the other mice except the R.A.T 7, you cannot customize them, same about the company as with Mionix, never heard of it..

As for Razer mice - I wanted the Naga but then decided to take razer off my list.. all my friends give me bad reviews so I will NOT consider getting a Razer.

My Budget is 80$ at most for a gaming mice, of course the cheaper the better that is why I am considering the Cyber Snipa because it is about 25 dollars cheaper than all the other mice.

I play all games but do not use Macros at all.. I have the G510 from logitech and dont even use its macros so programmable buttons aren't an issue here.

I MUST SAY that DPI isn't an issue here.. 5000DPI is good enough for me
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for a Gaming mouse pad I am looking for something that is at max 20 dollars, pretty big and something that will last and support laser mice and have good gliding, and here I am open for suggestions.. I am not looking for a fancy one I want a black one and some texture of the company or something like that on its sides.. for now what caught my attention is Corepad Mobilion Waterproof cloth 15" wide

Thank you for reading my essay I am sorry this is so long but I am really having trouble choosing a good gaming mouse.
Thanks in advance for any comments/help.
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2011 3:08:09 PM

Hello and Welcome to Tom's!
First off don't get too picky when choosing a new mouse.
You'll drive yourself mental!

The reason i say this is because you have a MX510 which most wouldn't even consider as a gaming mouse(800dpi).Myself included.
It's a gutted budget version of an MX518v1(1600dpi)which is a very good mouse and still made today as MX518v2(1800dpi).
Just about anything you buy for $40 today would be a huge improvement over what you're using.
I would suggest you stick to something in the $40-60 range i can't think of any reason to spend more unless you make a living from gaming.
I would choose a wired mouse in that price range.
The Logitech MX518 would be a good choice since it's exactly what you're use to but with far superior performance.
It is still on every top 10 gaming mouse list i've ever googled.
I still use a 1600dpi version to this day 7yrs old and still works like the day i bought it.
I also have a Razer DeathAdder 3500dpi which isn't any better other then the braided cord then the MX518 just a little different feel wise.
I like them both about the same.
i've also read very good things about Coolermaster gaming mice.
If one of my mice die i think i'll try one probably the Sentinel Advanced since i've never tried a laser mouse and it's like $35-40 on sale.
Nothing worse then spending too much money on something you end up not liking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=42934&vpn=910%2D001...
http://www.ncixus.com/products/44677/SGM-6000-KLLW1-GP/...
I use a Steelseries Qck soft mouse pad(medium size) with the MX518 and it works great.
I also have a double sided hard surface pad Func 1030.use that with the Razer.
Double sided might be the best way to go since you can choose what surface you prefer.
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mousepads/ROCCAT-...
http://shop.steelseries.com/us/index.php/surfaces-us/st...
You'll probably not require a large mouse surface with a new responsive mouse because you'll find you don't need the extra surface area.
m
l
February 6, 2011 3:17:23 PM

let me just say that your list of options is bad. However from what you listed, i'd get the G700...its popular, widely reviewed and the biggest reason is Logitech which means the best quality and best customer support.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2011 3:49:52 PM

@Davcon
I do not have the MX510, I have the the G510.. I'm sorry I do not mean to offend but your comment suggests to me that you did not read what I wrote.. "PLEASE DO NOT give me a recommendation for another gaming mouse because I've already looked at the whole market and chosen what I liked."
thanks for the help though ..

@blackhawk1928
my main concern with this mouse is its scroll wheel which isn't good for FPS and about every single review mentions it.

m
l
a c 228 4 Gaming
February 6, 2011 4:10:56 PM

All the choices I would make are not on your list.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2011 5:42:19 PM

xxking said:
@Davcon
I do not have the MX510, I have the the G510.. I'm sorry I do not mean to offend but your comment suggests to me that you did not read what I wrote.. "PLEASE DO NOT give me a recommendation for another gaming mouse because I've already looked at the whole market and chosen what I liked."
thanks for the help though ..

@blackhawk1928
my main concern with this mouse is its scroll wheel which isn't good for FPS and about every single review mentions it.

Fair enough ! still never heard of a G510 mouse though.
MX510 and M510 are the only ones i've heard of.
Last time i checked Logitech makes a G510 keyboard.
m
l
February 6, 2011 6:37:50 PM

I might have screwed up what I wrote.. I was talking about the Macro system and the programmable keys overall both in keyboard and mice which I do not use "I play all games but do not use Macros at all.. I have the G510 from logitech and dont even use its macros so programmable buttons aren't an issue here. "
m
l
February 7, 2011 5:46:40 AM

if you don't want recommendations then what do you want ?? ..anyways ..if youre okay with big mice get a CM Storm Sentinel Advance ..its 5+ in long but great ..heard awesome things about ..haven't used laser mice before ..but a friend of mine says there better than optical ones ..
as for the surface ..how bout the Razer Goliathus ..love it ..get the speed edition if you want smoother glide ..
m
l
February 7, 2011 5:56:42 AM

what I look for when checking out new mice ..
1. Size ..I have smaller than average hands ..although 5" long ones fit great ..
2. what style does it suit ..I use a palm grip where my hand completely rests on the mouse ..
3. dpi ..I like high dpi ones ..I'm planning on a Roccat Kone+ ..its 6000 dpi ..
4. macros ..and macro software ..
5. buttons ..I like two buttons on the side ..and love the Kone+s easy aim button that lowers the dpi ..making it easier to snipe ..
6. the wheel ..clickyness ..I like resistance when I roll the wheel ..makes sections easier ..
7. looks ..I love lighting on the mouse ..and the four individually customizable lights on the Kone+ really caught my attention ..
8. Brand ..It's gotta be a good brand ..
well that's about it ..
9. Customizable profiles ..
10. weight and feel ..
I don't care so much about custom weights ..or laser/optical ..
m
l
February 7, 2011 8:03:17 AM

@ OP: If you are not looking for better suggestions, why are you asking for help then...?

OK, I've got the Cooler Master CM Storm: Weapon Of Choice M4 mousepad for my Logitech G500. The mousepad works wonders, it was cheap (R175, R = South African currency), it's quite big, it's thin (doesn't feel wierd when your wrist hangs off the edge), it sticks to the tabletop like glue (due to the very decent rubber coating on the bottom), packs EASILY into the compact box it came in (making it awesome for LANs) and it absorbs sweat to a decent degree. It's got a smoothish worktop, but it helps the sensitivity of my mouse A LOT. The movements are so much more precise than on the standard wooden top I used to work on.

Also, I know you didn't ask for it, but why not consider the Logitech G500? It has the same engine as the G9x (the big flagship Logitech mouse), with the grip of the very famous and extremely comfortable MX510 (it was rated most comfortable mouse a few times if I'm not mistaken). Also, the G500 has a weight system, with quite good choices (0g-27g weight increase in 1.7g increments). I always thought it's only a gimmick, but it really does make a difference in feel and control. The mouse's feet are also very big, and EXTREMELY slippery, making the mouse move effortlessly over the mentioned mousepad.

Consider it, or don't, I just know that if I have to make a choice in a new mouse and mousepad today, I wouldn't hesitate a second to purchase the same again.

PS: I have rather large hands, play anything from FPS to RTS to RPG games, and I use the macro keys to a medium extent. The on-the-fly DPI changing and profile system is the best. Got a Darksiders profile, Left 4 Dead 2 profile, Dota profile, Dead Space profile, Mirror's Edge profile... You get the idea... :D 
m
l
February 7, 2011 10:27:34 AM

CraigHarrison
I did not ask recommendation for gaming mice I asked what is good from what I wrote I did ask for recommendations on a good gaming mouse pad..

now regarding the second comment from you - I guess the Cyber Snipa Silencer Mouse fits your description on what you look for in a mouse.. so I think unless I see a better mouse than that I will think about getting another mouse.. for now the Silencer seems like a good choice..

Toxxyc
I am asking for help because I could not choose between the mice I mentioned, I already looked at the G500, I do not like the way it looks so it wasnt on my list in first place.

I'd rather not deal with CM again, I've had bad experience with them in the past therefore I am staying away from any of their products and either way I did not like any of their mice
m
l
February 7, 2011 11:11:23 AM

^ OK I hear you, and I agree on the CM mice. The mousepad from them I purchased out of desperation (I was low on cash, and that mousepad looked good). I'm quite happy with it, but I'm not saying it's the best :D 

Also, with regards to the G500 mouse, I also didn't like it's looks al that much from the start. I wanted some kind of underlighting system, but I've learnt to accept and love it as it is.

I actually started to type another sentence defending mouse just now, then I stopped...

Happy gaming!
m
l
February 11, 2011 1:09:37 PM

I can't believe you have completely written off razer. I find it hard to believe you have found bad reviews on every one of their gaming mice.
m
l
!