Graphics card turns monitor off

talyn1525

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I think I already know what the problem is but figured I would shoot this out there to see if there was any hope. I have a PNY GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB so I really hope its not broken but when I plug in any monitor to it the comp turns on all the other external pieces such as the speakers mouse and key board turn on but the monitor stays with a yellow light like its asleep. I can plug all the monitors that I have tried directly into the mother board hook up to use the comp but the 200.00 card is just sort of sitting there. The fan spins the green light on the card turns on it gets warm ( i keep track of the heat it has never over heated as far as I know) just like it normally would but the monitor won't turn on no matter what I do.

I figure it just crapped the bed but its only a year or so old was hoping I would have gotten a little more use out it considering how careful was was with instalation and not letting it over heat but alas here I sit not being able to play really any of the games on my comp

Anyone have any ideas??

talyn1525

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

I will try that but not tonight its late lol. Give it a try tomorrow let you know how it goes.

thanks

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Real dumb question do you have the 6 pin PCIe power plugged in?

Also in the BIOS look for Something in the chipset or onboard devices that says Initiate Graphics Adapter and the value should be PEG/PCI or something like that. What that does is sets the order that the BIOS starts the Video adapter, If IGD (Integrated Graphics Display) is set it will only activate the onboard, Set it to PEG/PCI and it will activate the 9800 GTX+ before IGD.