Sign in with
Your question

World of Warcraft - Issues with my Homebuilt PC

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2010 2:42:42 PM

Howdy all,

Have a couple questions, and just looking for some input. I recently upgraded to a GeForce GTX 470 - 1280MB. The only thing I use my PC for is basic Windows applications and World of Warcraft. When playing WoW recently, the Graphics look amazing, and I'm getting about 60 FPS everywhere I go (AA is turned on and I'm not sure if turning it off has any benefit?).

I'm starting to experience what I can only call "sketchy" or "irregular" visuals when I pan from side to side. When I'm moving straight ahead playing the game, everything is smooth. When I use my mouse to strafe or move the character left to right, it's not nearly running as smoothly. I can hear my CPU hard at work when I'm panning from side to side playing the game, and I'm starting to wonder if my CPU is bottlenecking my performance. Any advice is appreciated - Below is my current setup:

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - OC'd to 3.45Ghz. Anything higher seems to freeze the PC.
ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

I'm running Driver version 260.99, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm playing wow on Ultra settings 1900X1280 Widescreen on a 25 inch monitor. I have tried turning down all the settings and it still does the same jerky type movements when strafing or panning from side to side. It used to run smoother on my XP 32 bit OS and my old 8800 GTX, but at lower framerates.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!!!!!
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2010 5:22:32 PM

Did you uninstall from your old GPU and reinstall them? Sometimes there's a conflict and doing that should clean it up.
I had to do that when adding a second 460.
m
l
November 12, 2010 8:36:37 PM

Actually I haven't done that. Do you mean uninstall the drivers for the actual monitors themselves? Sorry, I'm a bit green when it comes to drivers.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2010 11:03:09 PM

If you go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program, you should see the Nvidia drivers listed. I would try uninstalling all of those, restarting, installing (which will have you reinstall again), and then test your system again.
Give that a shot and see if that helps.
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2010 2:44:19 AM

Good point. I have some other ideas if that doesn't work out.
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 3:25:18 AM

^ To follow up on boiler, sometimes that doesn't actually clean up all of the drivers. So you should check out this program and clean up drivers with this as well. It's called Driver Sweeper.

The guide is for ATI drivers, but the same could be applied for Nvidia drivers.
http://www.overclock.net/ati-drivers-overclocking-softw...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2010 3:40:51 AM

As an additional pointer.....when tsystem restarts after uninstalling the drivers, if windows asked to install new hardware, do a Nancy Regan and "Just Say No".

Install the drivers via a fresh d/l from the vendor web site.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2010 3:04:24 PM

aznshinobi said:
^ To follow up on boiler, sometimes that doesn't actually clean up all of the drivers. So you should check out this program and clean up drivers with this as well. It's called Driver Sweeper.

The guide is for ATI drivers, but the same could be applied for Nvidia drivers.
http://www.overclock.net/ati-drivers-overclocking-softw...

I've uninstalled them without using Driver Sweeper. I tried using it several times and it didn't do anything for me.
Nvidia does a very good job of packaging their drivers to act like a standard application you'd install/uninstall.
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2010 11:29:42 PM

In truth, modern drivers are pretty good about that. The older ones had issues.
m
l
November 22, 2010 3:11:35 PM

I would also make sure tripple buffering is enabled - this will smooth everything out.
For extra tweeks for performance/quality (if you have a good card why not push it to the limit?) there is an addon called TweakWow
m
l
November 22, 2010 3:30:01 PM

One thing about WoW is you have to check if this is an Add-on doing this. There are some add-ons that aren't updated to the latest game engine and even though all your drivers and CPU are great - will still act like it's lagging down the game.

Disable all add-ons and does it still do this?

What are the temps you are running at? CPU and GPU.
m
l
!