Sign in with
Your question

PSU still safe?

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2011 3:26:07 PM

Hey guys, there's something that's been worrying me for quite some time now and I can't rest before I'm assured I'm safe.

A week ago when I was building my new PC (from scratch) I flicked the VAC switch on the PSU down from 230v to 130v and after switching on the new pc there was 3 loud bangs accompanied by red sparks. I immediately removed the power cable and about 5 minutes later I attempted a reboot, thank God the pc started with no problems and i've had no signs of defect (at all). Every connector is getting the exact right amount of voltage from the PSU and temperatures are excellent.

CPU temp @ idle : 35 (celcius)
GPU temp @ idle : 40 (celcius)

Have I just struck lucky or did the breakers save my PSU just in time?

Regards.

More about : psu safe

a c 277 ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 3:29:09 PM

You just blew the voltage doubler circuit and likely damaged other things in there, i would advise against using it. Just because the PC boots doesnt mean that the PSU isnt pumping out dangerous levels of noise to the components.
February 6, 2011 3:34:05 PM

Is it definite that I blew the voltage doubler circuit? and is there any way to monitor my other hardware to make sure it didn't get damaged?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 3:36:07 PM

i agree you blew the circuit beofore the primary switchers. this would be the voltage doubler circuit. i would get a different psu...
February 6, 2011 3:43:37 PM

Well i contacted a local technician and he said the my PSU has OVP so it would've protected my hardware and gotten rid of the power (hence the red sparks) before busting the PSU...
February 6, 2011 3:44:52 PM

Btw I forgot to mention... where I'm at I have to use 230 volts not 120/130, and when this happened it was switch to 120.. how could it blow if there's too little voltage as apposed to too much o.O ?
a c 277 ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 3:46:59 PM

Sparks arent a sign that a protection kicked in, its a sign something failed. Also, the OVP is on the output side, not the input side, it protects your system by shutting down the PSU if the voltage on one of the output rails gets too high.

If a protection kicks in, the PSU shuts down and dumps excess power to ground if it needs to, it would NEVER intentionally generate sparks, one, they are inefficient, two, they are dangerous, your local tech doesnt have a clue what he is talking about.

It wasnt that there was too little voltage coming it, its that it thought there was half as much coming in as really was, that switch engages a voltage doubler circuit to step 115V up to 230V, when its set to 230V the input passes straight through, but if you are running on 230V and you set it to 120V, it still steps it up but now its got 460V not the 230V it was expecting, and nothing in there is rated nearly that high.
February 6, 2011 3:59:42 PM

But take a look at this :

Vcore - Current value - 1.31 volts
+3.3V - Current value - 3.36 volts
+5V - Current value - 5.02 volts
+12V - current value - 11.80 volts

Surely there's nothing wrong or am I a retard?
a c 139 ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 4:03:02 PM

jamezki said:
Btw I forgot to mention... where I'm at I have to use 230 volts not 120/130, and when this happened it was switch to 120.. how could it blow if there's too little voltage as apposed to too much o.O ?

Watts = voltage times amps

Cut the voltage in half, you have to double the amps to match the wattage. Electrical components are sized for the current (amps) they carry.
February 6, 2011 4:06:09 PM

*bump previous question :D 
a c 277 ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 4:30:35 PM

The voltage levels look good, but that is the DC level, there may be high frequency AC ripple in there that goes way out of ATX spec that you cannot see if something else got damaged when it blew. Any time a PSU gets damaged, it really should be replaced because there is no way to know just how extensive the damage was.
February 6, 2011 4:36:01 PM

Any idea if this problem expels my PSU warranty?
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 5:22:37 PM

of course it voids the warranty! but just dont tell them what happended, just say it wasnt working for you, that it would crash a lot, (yes i know thats a lie), and that you want a different one.

of course, your other option is to head over to my forum (click on the link in my signature), and then get assistance with opening it up and helping you figure out what blew and how to replace it...
!