Sign in with
Your question

Will a gtx 460 bottleneck a Athlon II x3 440?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2010 4:34:44 AM

I am probebly getting gtx 460 and a gt240 for physx and need to know if they will bottleneck my AMD Athlon II X3 440 @ 3ghz. :bounce: 
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 4:46:47 AM

I would say not, you are fine with that setup (Athlon II X3 @3GHz + GTX460 +GT240).
Just make sure you have enough power on PSU.
m
l
September 21, 2010 5:19:45 AM

Thanks alot! I'm very happy now because i know i can fit the card in my case, the card wont overheat, and you just answered my final question. I will get the gtx 460. :D 
m
l
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 5:22:22 AM

HostileDonut said:
I am probebly getting gtx 460 and a gt240 for physx and need to know if they will bottleneck my AMD Athlon II X3 440 @ 3ghz. :bounce: 

Surely they stand more chance of being "bottlenecked" by the CPU?

Yet another person who has no idea of the meaning behind the terminology they are trying to use. [:boudy:3]
m
l
September 21, 2010 5:31:58 AM

sorry i heard that GPUs get bottlenecked. will my gpus or cpus get bottlenecked?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 5:41:58 AM

HostileDonut said:
sorry i heard that GPUs get bottlenecked. will my gpus or cpus get bottlenecked?

The term "bottleneck" was used to describe a situation were one component holds back everything else so it can apply to many things, that's why I get narked when people use the term without having a clue as to what they are talking about.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:53:47 AM

your cpu in most games will be the bottleneck. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and wont cause any problems. Both your CPU and graphics card are fast enough to play any game currently available smoothly.
Definition with example of "Bottleneck": If the video card is able to process more information than the CPU can feed it, the cpu is the bottleneck. This is highly dependant on the game and the graphics detail settings and resolution. Increasing the resolution, or anti aliasing, puts more strain on the video card, thus decreasing any bottleneck from CPU to video card. Lowering the resolution has the opposite effect. So if you play at say, 1024x768, the CPU will be the bottleneck, as the load on the GFX card is very light and it will be twiddling its thumbs waiting for more info from the CPU. If you play at 8000x4000 (extreme scenario but it helps to explain things) the graphics card will be the bottleneck, as it struggles to process all those pixels and the cpu will be waiting for it to finish before it hands it some more information. This is also game dependant as some games are more graphically demanding and some more cpu demanding.
m
l
September 21, 2010 12:16:16 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The term "bottleneck" was used to describe a situation were one component holds back everything else so it can apply to many things, that's why I get narked when people use the term without having a clue as to what they are talking about.

Surely you can have a little patience though MM, the OP may not have had such a clear understanding of the term as you did and so proceeded on the best of their knowledge. It might be a great opportunity to perhaps give a comprehensive list of terms and jargon and their meanings in a sticky for the whole forum to see. Back OT, that setup looks fine though i'd say the 240 for physx is a little superfluous but everyone to their own!
m
l
September 21, 2010 4:52:13 PM

So what you guys are saying is that my cpu will be bottlenecked. If I turn on the ani alisning or whatever it wont bottleneck?
m
l
September 21, 2010 5:05:09 PM

No, your CPU will be THE bottleneck. If you used more demanding settings such as antialiasing, then there will be NO bottleneck from any component because every hardware is reaching its limitations.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 5:12:02 PM

HostileDonut said:
So what you guys are saying is that my cpu will be bottlenecked. If I turn on the ani alisning or whatever it wont bottleneck?

delete the word bottleneck from your brain, pretend it simply does not exist

the question you want to ask is "can my athlon II x3 and GTX 460 give me the gaming performance I want in the games I play?"

the answer is yes it will, I own both (in separate PCs). they work well together and will give you excellent performance in today's games at 1080p or less resolution.

mousemonkey is absolutely correct about the whole bottleneck issue, too many people don't understand it and give horrible advice about.
m
l
September 21, 2010 6:18:54 PM

So i will get 30+ fps in every game?
m
l
September 21, 2010 6:32:34 PM

HostileDonut said:

Yes, in almost every case.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 6:39:20 PM

HostileDonut said:

easily, what is monitor's native resolution?
m
l
September 21, 2010 6:42:52 PM

My monitor can get up to 1280x1024. Since i have windows xp a can only get 1AA on bfbc2 also, so i were to play bfbc2 i still would get 30+ fps?
m
l
September 21, 2010 6:43:52 PM

Forget almost every case. You'll achieve 30+ FPS in every game with that resolution.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 6:51:52 PM

you will have 60FPS+ in every game not named crysis
m
l
September 21, 2010 7:01:29 PM

HOLY CRAP! You just made my day! Thanks alot, for a while there you guys had me thinking that my cpu WOULD bottleneck and i wouldnt get good fps. I am SUPER happy. :bounce: 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 8:16:35 PM

Griffolion said:
Surely you can have a little patience though MM, the OP may not have had such a clear understanding of the term as you did and so proceeded on the best of their knowledge. It might be a great opportunity to perhaps give a comprehensive list of terms and jargon and their meanings in a sticky for the whole forum to see. Back OT, that setup looks fine though i'd say the 240 for physx is a little superfluous but everyone to their own!

Even my patience has limits and as this has been an ongoing issue for the last couple of years it's now wearing perilously thin and a sticky would be pointless as most people cannot be bothered to read them until they are told to which kind of defeats the purpose of having them in the first place, I cite the issue of "bumping" as a prime example.
m
l
September 21, 2010 8:29:25 PM

Sorry for bothering you mousemonky but you didnt need to anwser if you thought it would annoy you.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 8:35:01 PM

HostileDonut said:
Sorry for bothering you mousemonky but you didnt need to anwser if you thought it would annoy you.

It was the question that was annoying not the act of answering, get it right.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:04:42 PM

Ok if i was wrong in asking tell me my problem and then answering my question would have been a lot more friendly. :ange: 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 9:12:46 PM

Asking what the term means and how or if it pertains to your particular situation would have been better than just assuming you know what it means and then finding out that you were incorrect.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 9:13:24 PM

what the rodent-primate is saying, too many people hear the word "bottleneck" and run around this forum screaming "i have a bottleneck!" like their hair is on fire. While other people ridicule OP with "OMG you will be bottle-necked!" as if the PC will self-destruct even though their own PC has one. Its rather annoying.

Just about every PC has a bottleneck especially when you run various software/games.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:15:30 PM

When you hear the word "bottleneck," just think about a classic Coke bottle. That's what I do.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 9:18:09 PM

ct1615 said:
what the rodent-primate is saying, too many people hear the word "bottleneck" and run around this forum screaming "i have a bottleneck!" like their hair is on fire. While other people ridicule OP with "OMG you will be bottle-necked!" as if the PC will self-destruct even though their own PC has one. Its rather annoying.

Just about every PC has a bottleneck especially when you run various software/games.

So I'm not the only one who has noticed that then! :lol: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 9:22:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So I'm not the only one who has noticed that then! :lol: 

yeah its flat out annoying at times....just about every time
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 9:27:13 PM

ct1615 said:
yeah its flat out annoying at times....just about every time

Right up there with the "Can it run Crysis?" meme IMO.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:36:35 PM

Whatever you guys dont need to be rude about it. Bye the way i wasnt running around saying OMG! I have a bottleneck! I was sipply asking will i have a bottleneck and the anwser was yes i will but its not big enuf to matter. I just wanted to know if a gtx 460 and a gt240 would both be good together in my build and they would. :pfff: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 9:40:07 PM

no one said you where saying "OMG...", we just stated it happens a lot and becomes a repetitive and annoying subject with so many incorrect posts about the issue.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:43:40 PM

I don't think they have direct intentions to make you mad. It's just that the term "bottleneck" pops up way too frequently and a lot of people are misguided about it because they are mislead by people who were also misguided about it. Bottom line, for your situation, don't worry about a bottleneck whatsoever. Whether it be the CPU bottlenecking, GPU bottlenecking, or anything else that might bottleneck. The GTX 460 will be optimized perfectly for your setup.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:48:03 PM

skolpo said:
When you hear the word "bottleneck," just think about a classic Coke bottle. That's what I do.

Where you saying that the bottleneck on a coke bottle is not bad and the bottleneck on a cpu and/or gpu is not bad either?
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:50:39 PM

skolpo said:
I don't think they have direct intentions to make you mad. It's just that the term "bottleneck" pops up way too frequently and a lot of people are misguided about it because they are mislead by people who were also misguided about it. Bottom line, for your situation, don't worry about a bottleneck whatsoever. Whether it be the CPU bottlenecking, GPU bottlenecking, or anything else that might bottleneck. The GTX 460 will be optimized perfectly for your setup.

even with the gt 240 it wont be bad? sorry now im very confused because of what every1 has been saying...
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:50:59 PM

I guess you can put it that way... I was simply saying that you should literally just think about a Coke bottle =).
m
l
September 21, 2010 10:04:03 PM

HostileDonut said:
Where you saying that the bottleneck on a coke bottle is not bad and the bottleneck on a cpu and/or gpu is not bad either?

Why don't you look up bottleneck and figure out what it means before you keep asking the same questions. Also you might want invest in a helmet. One more tap on the head could be your last.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 10:11:22 PM

HostileDonut said:
even with the gt 240 it wont be bad? sorry now im very confused because of what every1 has been saying...

I rest my case.
m
l
September 21, 2010 10:11:37 PM

Skolpo I like your thinking. I think its funny. =) And about the one guys who said look it up and buy a helmet ummmmmm well I aint goin to buy a helmet and 2nd skolpo just gave me all the help I wanted. :D  :)  :bounce:  :D  :D 
m
l
September 21, 2010 10:16:48 PM

DEEEEEEP BREEEEATH... mousemonky thing whatever you are, I just needed to know somthing not start a war. Needed to know if a gt 240 and a gtx 460 would be fine in my machine and skolpo told me yes. I was confused because it sounded like you and the guy with the pic of some other panda lookin thing told me it wouldnt work and I had no idea what im talking about, when skolpo told me it would work. It is true I dont have a degree in bottlenecks but I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt ruin my computer.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 10:21:09 PM

HostileDonut said:
DEEEEEEP BREEEEATH... mousemonky thing whatever you are, I just needed to know somthing not start a war. Needed to know if a gt 240 and a gtx 460 would be fine in my machine and skolpo told me yes. I was confused because it sounded like you and the guy with the pic of some other panda lookin thing told me it wouldnt work and I had no idea what im talking about, when skolpo told me it would work. It is true I dont have a degree in bottlenecks but I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt ruin my computer.

The panda looking thing is a North American ferret and a "bottleneck" is incapable of ruining a computer, reducing performance yes, ruining no. :pfff: 
m
l
September 21, 2010 10:30:19 PM

when I said ruining I ment slowing it down. Now i know that the gtx 460 and gt 240 will not slow it down and my cpu will stay at same speeds. :D 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:03:37 PM

HostileDonut said:
when I said ruining I ment slowing it down. Now i know that the gtx 460 and gt 240 will not slow it down and my cpu will stay at same speeds. :D 

Again you have only proved my point, you said one thing but meant another and somehow everyone else is just supposed to know what you were talking about when you weren't too sure yourself.
m
l
September 21, 2010 11:09:47 PM

Yes I did over do it, and I am sorry for that, but on the other hand why would anyone ever think I really men6t ruining it? It's comon sence to know that I didn't mean ruining it because like you said it is imposible for a bottleneck to ruin a computer. :D  I did the smilys cuz i felt like it.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:15:50 PM

And I deleted them because I can.
m
l
September 21, 2010 11:24:21 PM

AWWWWWW... YOU JERK ABUSING UR MODERATOR POWERS!!!!!!!!!! lol jk
m
l
September 21, 2010 11:24:39 PM

I really done care.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:57:52 PM

HostileDonut said:
I was confused because it sounded like you and the guy with the pic of some other panda lookin thing told me it wouldnt work and I had no idea what im talking about,

I said what now?? Now I'm confused.... :heink: 

I said the GTX 460 would work and not to pay attention to anyone who mentioned the word "bottleneck". Just like mouse and skolpo stated....although after reading this thread, I may need to hit the bottle :kaola: 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 12:00:58 AM

I recommend Jack Daniels, a personal favourite of mine anyway.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 12:04:23 AM

m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 12:24:41 AM

Shweeet! :lol: 
m
l
!