wa3wqc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
New Intel h55hc motherboard, 2 new sticks Kingston 1 gig each installed as 2 channel, i5 650 processor, on board video & audio, no PCI or express cards installed, PS voltages measured at 5V and 12 v, fans start, stop after few seconds and recycle, no access to CMOS, removed battery waited 15 min, reinstall battery - no luck, checked power plugs for proper insertion - OK, removed one stick, substituted 2nd stick - no luck, remounted processor still nothing. Is it RAM, motherboard, or processor? I'm frustrated

Solution
You are going to have to swap out the board I think. I can't say for certain, as the memory controller resides on the CPU. It seems it's either the board or CPU, and I'm guessing board.

wa3wqc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Thank you for the reply. At this point I appreciate any and all help.

No I have not done a breadbroad yet. That is on the todo list today.
I will let you know the results.

There is a system speaker on the motherboard.

wa3wqc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
The motherboard has been breadboarded. The only connections are to the power supply, video cable, mouse, keyboard and connection to front panel power switch. When the 110v is applied and the power switch activated the fans began but do not come up to full speed and then stop, they continue the on-off cycle, no video signal

A continuous on-off cycle? I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on that before. The fans will just continue starting and stopping until you turn it off?

Well, that's a whole different thing.

There is a system speaker on the board, but you are not getting any beeps?
What if you remove the RAM? Beep then?

What if you remove the CPU?

wa3wqc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Yes the fans continue cycling.

I allowed the continuous on-off cycle to continue after 10 minutes it stopped and the fans began to spin at proper speed and I began to get three beeps indicating RAM problem. I have removed the RAM, installed one stick at a time, interchanged sticks, tried new RAM from a different manufacturer, interchanging sticks - still three beeps. Removed the CPU, rear fan cycles but no beeps.

wa3wqc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
You are going to have to swap out the board I think. I can't say for certain, as the memory controller resides on the CPU. It seems it's either the board or CPU, and I'm guessing board.

Thanks for staying with me on this.

Yes I agree with you. I have already ordered a replacement board and expect delivery on Wednesday. I shall keep you informed. Just considering cost the board is the way to go.