Change video card?

G

i recently got an 5670, and i just don't like it. it gives over 60 fps in all the games i play, but with a lot of frame drops, lag and this thing that gives a black screen most of the times i go into full-screen or back to desktop. i have to turn the monitor on and off to get the image again. i think all those things are ati drivers not working right, i've tried 10.7 to 10.9 and it's the same.

so my question is, should i switch to an nvidia? i've read that the drivers work fine and most games are optimized for nvidia. i'm thinking of the gt240: similar performance and low power consumption.

i gave up on the 5670, just a waste of money and time. so what do you think, will getting an nvidia solve my problems? any experience?

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
It might not be the card that's causing the fullscreen problem. It can also be the cable, a converter adapter if you use one, dirty drivers/bad installation, or it might even be the monitor. Frame drops and lag won't be any better with the GT240. The HD5670 is a very capable, low-power card. If you do have a bad card, you can always try to RMA it rather than switch to a GT240 just because your first experience with the HD5670 wasn't the greatest.

G

an RMA is not an option. i'd spend another $20 to send it back to the us, and i've already payed much more than it was worth. i'll sell it and get a different card, or maybe get rid of my whole system, it's been giving problems since i got it. anyone knows of a card with similar performance/consumption that gives no problems? and what could fix all those nasty things i'm getting?

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
an RMA is not an option. i'd spend another $20 to send it back to the us, and i've already payed much more than it was worth. i'll sell it and get a different card, or maybe get rid of my whole system, it's been giving problems since i got it. anyone knows of a card with similar performance/consumption that gives no problems? and what could fix all those nasty things i'm getting?

"A Properly Working Ati 5670"