HGST 500 gb hdd unallocated disk space

siladitya_49

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hello,
I bought a 500 gb hgst internal hdd for laptop(sata) , when i am checking the hdd through disk manage it is showing unallocated 465gb disk space.And the disk is not initialized(even I could not initialize it).
Again,when i am connecting this new hdd to my laptop hdd slot OS is unable to install in it.
Please help fast.......

Solution
If it says that, then that disc is probably corrupted.

Anyway, have you tried giving it a letter and then formatting it?

"Start Menu -> Disk Management -> Click right mouse/touch-pad button on the drive and give it a letter.
If you can't do that and can't format it, and it gives you CRC Error messages...then it's most likely to be corrupted. You should try RMAing if the warranty is still up and running.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You need to format it. Format your HDD. Use Full Format, Slow Mode. It will take some time, but it's the best way. Format it into NTFS.
You should always format all new HDDs/SSDs that you have purchased, before you can use them.
Also, go into your BIOS and make sure that it's SATA settings are configured to AHCI, not IDE or RAID.

siladitya_49

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
but my system is unable to format this new HDD :(
And by the way I forgot to inform you that my new HDD is totally unallocated therefore I could not discover in my computer except through disk manage!!!!!!

siladitya_49

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
whenever I am checking my new HDD through Disk manage it is showing a message " first initialize you Disk before your logical disk manage can access it"
but unfortunately whenever I am trying to initialize "master boot manage" a failure message like "data error(cyclic redundancy check)" is coming................pls help

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If it says that, then that disc is probably corrupted.

Anyway, have you tried giving it a letter and then formatting it?

"Start Menu -> Disk Management -> Click right mouse/touch-pad button on the drive and give it a letter.
If you can't do that and can't format it, and it gives you CRC Error messages...then it's most likely to be corrupted. You should try RMAing if the warranty is still up and running.

Solution

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I can't say that it's a 100% case, but it is a high probability if you get "CRC Error" messages right away.
You should really try RMAing it if you still have the warranty. Just remember to always format any new drives you buy, before you try to use them. And always format into NTFS only.

yoJPC

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
My internal Hitachi NEW 1 TB sata is having IDENTICAL problem and I am calling Willoughby Hills (cleve) Target PC where I bought it; but not any error, -just no format option in right click and disk mgt sees it; and PC sees it in SetUp entry
-
but nothing to format in menu nor partition...
not shown in PC window of my C.