Sign in with
Your question

Do I Need a Full Case?

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2011 7:07:16 PM

I've never built with a mid case before and it makes me a touch nervous from a space and heat standpoint. Here's what I'm stuffing into the case:

Asus Sabertooth P67
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Fan
Sparkle GTX 580
Sparkle 1000W PSU
Intel I5-2500K
Soundblaster X-fi Titanium
Crucial 120gb SSD
WD 1GB
GSKILL 8GB (2x4GB) Ripjaws
ASUS DVD Burner

Here's what's important to me:

Ease of cable management
Top mounted PSU
Limit dust as much as possible
I may SLI at a later date
I want the case to be quiet
I'm probably not going to super overclock the machine, just some moderate OC with the multiplier

I know it's probably a stupid question and lots of people make mid cases with more components but I just need to hear it from people that know a lot more than me before I order my rig.

If a mid case does work, what's some great mid cases your can recommend?

Thanks!

More about : full case

a c 274 ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 7:21:27 PM

Here's some high quality cases.I included the HAF 932 = sale!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

You could look at a HAF 922 as well.
I know the HAF series is popular with alot of people but i can't personally tell you what the dust intake is like(no filters)
I have a 902 original version and dust is not a problem and it's quiet.
I also have a CM690II which also has dust filtration and excellent cable management.
The Antec is the quieter of the two even though it has 3 more fans in it.
Jeez! i just noticed top mounted psu! why?
I don't think you'll find many options there.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2011 7:31:12 PM

My impression is that the top mounted PSU is significantly cooler than a bottom mounted.

Am I not correct?
m
l
February 6, 2011 7:34:17 PM

I second the CM 690 II Advanced. I have one, and it's downright awesome. Definitely be sure to check the clearance with that 580, though. :D 

The HAF 932 and 922 are also a couple really nice cases for the money. I can say that all three of these cases easily have better airflow than a lot of the full towers that are available...

A top mounted PSU may be slightly cooler, but which CPU cooler you choose to use makes an infinitely bigger difference than the location of your PSU.
m
l
a c 715 ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 7:36:58 PM

Top bottom does not matter apart from the PSU running cooler at the bottom since it does not have to suck in hot air at the top of the case, an exhaust fan at the top replaces the PSU there to get the hot air out.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 6, 2011 7:37:57 PM

xander25 said:
My impression is that the top mounted PSU is significantly cooler than a bottom mounted.

Am I not correct?

Modern psu's exhaust out the back the big fan you see on them is for intake air.
A friend of mine has a case with a top-mount psu and it's very unstable.
So much so it has toppled over in a mishap before.
Much better to have that weight at the bottom of your case.
m
l
!