More memory for Sony Vaio

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
January 24, 2005 8:31:42 PM

My Sony Vaio PCG-941C now about 4 yrs old) has a listed maximum memory
of 256Mb. I've tried putting 256Mb in one of the slots but it only
sees 128Mb. Anyone aware of a way to exceed the specification?

Cheers

Steve

More about : memory sony vaio

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
January 25, 2005 8:06:57 AM

The most likely reason why your machine only sees 128 of the 256 module
could most liely be dure to the cycle speed of the memory!

check on your old memory what speed it says on it, you machine is most
likely to be a P3, so will be running SD @ 100Mzh, or possibly 133,
check that you didn't buy some PCC 400/3200 modules, which is the most
likely cause of your problem

As to the limit specified by the manufacturer, there should be no
reason why you cannot exceed 256, unless the memory bay is only
designed and WIRED for a single sided DIMM - becasue sony are bastards
they could easily have bespoke memory made to fit thinner profile
laptops, and so to upgrade you have to buy from them - any way this
could also be an explaination for the half loading of your memory
hope this is of some help Rik
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
January 25, 2005 3:15:15 PM

Rik wrote:
> The most likely reason why your machine only sees 128 of the 256
module
> could most liely be dure to the cycle speed of the memory!
>
> check on your old memory what speed it says on it, you machine is
most
> likely to be a P3, so will be running SD @ 100Mzh, or possibly 133,
> check that you didn't buy some PCC 400/3200 modules, which is the
most
> likely cause of your problem
>
> As to the limit specified by the manufacturer, there should be no
> reason why you cannot exceed 256, unless the memory bay is only
> designed and WIRED for a single sided DIMM - becasue sony are
bastards
> they could easily have bespoke memory made to fit thinner profile
> laptops, and so to upgrade you have to buy from them - any way this
> could also be an explaination for the half loading of your memory
> hope this is of some help Rik

Thanks Rik. The memory I ended up with, 2 x 128 144 Pin SODIMMs at
100Mhz, which is what Sony specify. More than likely, it's the way
Sony have wired the thing so I'm stuck with it until I can afford a new
laptop. Cheers Steve.
!