Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Mobo and CPU suggestions

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2011 8:50:38 PM

Ok I'm getting ready to spend some $ to update my current case, I'm wanting a good mother board and a 6 core processor (looking at getting the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core, this pick is up for discussion) was thinking of a MSI 890FXa board but I was reading some fairly bad reviews on it.

My question is this, I have about $400 max and I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions? Also I prefer AMD with nVidia. yes I know I'm weird.

Also sorry if I post this in the wrong category I wasn't sure if this should have gone in Components or just over to Motherboards? If I'm posted wrong please let me know and I'll move it.

More about : mobo cpu suggestions

February 6, 2011 8:51:46 PM

Edit: I'd prefer not to have to go to the full $400 but if so I can just not past.
m
l
a c 851 à CPUs
a c 1098 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 9:09:38 PM

Are you planning a CF setup? If not you can go with a AMD 870 chipset board.
Asus, Gigabyte or MSI would all be solid choices to me.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2011 9:17:12 PM

Sorry don't mean to be stupid, but whats a CF setup?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 9:24:00 PM

Good taste in video cards - I prefer nVidia, too.

I'd go with a board from MSI. The couple that I've had have been absolutely rock-solid performers.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There's a really nice board if you don't plan on Crossfire (or SLI, but that's not happening on an AMD setup anyway). Since you're an nVidia guy, it should serve you just fine for $70.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That would be even better, but you're going to pay an extra $70 for the added performance and overall features. It's simply just a better board, and would support CFX if you ever decided to go with an ATI/AMD Radeon GPU.

It depends on how much you want to spend for your motherboard. The $70 option is perfectly fine. The $140 option is... well... better, but you'll have to pay for it. It's up to you to decide what you need. :D 

EDIT:
CF and CFX are short for CrossFire - Running multiple AMD Graphics Cards on the same system to increase performance. nVidia uses SLI, which isn't available on an AMD system. Single cards typically perform better than their multi-card counterparts, though.
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2011 9:28:23 PM

zanythos said:
Sorry don't mean to be stupid, but whats a CF setup?

CF - Crossfire (for AMD), SLI for Nvidia :D  That means connecting 2 or 3 videocards together, so he asked are you planning to get one videocard or two/three :) 
m
l
February 6, 2011 9:41:49 PM

yeah I see what you mean now, feel real dumb but i stand firmly in nvidia's corner for my video cards. currently have a gtx 260 that i'll be porting over to the new board but plan on getting a 460 soon or maybe wait for the 560's to come down in price.
m
l
February 6, 2011 9:42:40 PM

also I think I might go with that MSI 870 board its quite a bit cheaper on the budget :) 
thanks alot guys
m
l
a c 851 à CPUs
a c 1098 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 9:53:45 PM

zanythos said:
yeah I see what you mean now, feel real dumb but i stand firmly in nvidia's corner for my video cards. currently have a gtx 260 that i'll be porting over to the new board but plan on getting a 460 soon or maybe wait for the 560's to come down in price.

No problem missed your Nvidia hint in your original post.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 6:03:07 AM

Do not spenmd money now there is far to much on comming up this yar which will cause what you are looking at now to be upgraded by around 100 dollars worth (estimate) do not move to a 460 from a 260 its not a big enough jump. This guy I work with was not impressed (mind you his cpu is weak)
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 6:23:32 PM

^And once it arrives for the second time, they'll announce something else coming out that you'll want to wait for. You can only wait for so long, and the AM3 platform with a 1090t will certainly do anything you want it to.

I have no problem whatsoever with you being an nVidia guy. I honestly think I like their cards better myself, although I generally just go for whatever gives me the best performance for the dollar. That 870 will work just fine for you.

If you for some reason would have an absolute need for USB or SATA 3.0 (nothing really supports/can take advantage of it right now) in the future, with all the PCI slots on that, you'd have no problem adding in controller cards for both.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 10:51:07 PM

1090T just doesn't seem worth it to me I guess
m
l
February 14, 2011 11:48:10 PM

Ok It all came in on Thursday I've had a few days to run it and make sure its all stable.

What I ended up buying

AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition 3.2 Ghz 6 Core (Upgraded from AMD Phenom I 2.2Ghz Quad Core)
MSI 870A-G55 (Upgraded from XFX nVidia Geforce 8200 Motherboard)
8GB of 1600mhz Corsair Memory (Upgraded from 8GB 800mhz Corsair Memory)

That all being said I kept my HD's as they are less than a year old and are 3.0GB/s Sata that my old motherboard didn't seem to able to utilize fully. Was seriously thinking of getting the GTX 460 video card but with the huge performance increase even without the nifty Auto OC button, that the 2 games that where lagging out horribly bad run smooth as silk.

I tried the Auto OC button, it clocked it up to a 3.67ghz on first boot but after 3 more reboots it kept dropping until it stabilized on 3.62Ghz. I notice NO determinable difference in the performance so I shut it back off, maybe if I ever get a game that requires it I'll try it again for now it can stay off I'm VERY happy with this board/processor and the $ saved due to suggestions on this site and not getting the $100 more board with ports I will never use. All in all this thing is a beast :) 

@spentshells have you read the 1090T has .... "AMD Turbo CORE technology is a performance boosting technology that automatically switches from six cores to three turbocharged core for applications that just need raw speed over multiple cores." - Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I dunno if I'm actually using that on any of my games as I'm not sure there is any way to tell but dang all my games run great now so I'm very pleased. Also I couldn't afford to wait, my father needed a new mobo/processor and couldn't afford one so he got my hand me downs but still some nice hand me downs (He's up from a 2.1 dual core 2gb ram for anyone curious).

So Thank you very much to all those that helped me make my informed decision. and I'll leave this thread up in case anyone else needs this info. You all have a great day and Thanks again.
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:25:46 AM

Best answer selected by zanythos.
m
l
March 6, 2011 11:51:07 PM

zanythos said:
Ok It all came in on Thursday I've had a few days to run it and make sure its all stable.

What I ended up buying

AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition 3.2 Ghz 6 Core (Upgraded from AMD Phenom I 2.2Ghz Quad Core)
MSI 870A-G55 (Upgraded from XFX nVidia Geforce 8200 Motherboard)
8GB of 1600mhz Corsair Memory (Upgraded from 8GB 800mhz Corsair Memory)

That all being said I kept my HD's as they are less than a year old and are 3.0GB/s Sata that my old motherboard didn't seem to able to utilize fully. Was seriously thinking of getting the GTX 460 video card but with the huge performance increase even without the nifty Auto OC button, that the 2 games that where lagging out horribly bad run smooth as silk.

I tried the Auto OC button, it clocked it up to a 3.67ghz on first boot but after 3 more reboots it kept dropping until it stabilized on 3.62Ghz. I notice NO determinable difference in the performance so I shut it back off, maybe if I ever get a game that requires it I'll try it again for now it can stay off I'm VERY happy with this board/processor and the $ saved due to suggestions on this site and not getting the $100 more board with ports I will never use. All in all this thing is a beast :) 

@spentshells have you read the 1090T has .... "AMD Turbo CORE technology is a performance boosting technology that automatically switches from six cores to three turbocharged core for applications that just need raw speed over multiple cores." - Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I dunno if I'm actually using that on any of my games as I'm not sure there is any way to tell but dang all my games run great now so I'm very pleased. Also I couldn't afford to wait, my father needed a new mobo/processor and couldn't afford one so he got my hand me downs but still some nice hand me downs (He's up from a 2.1 dual core 2gb ram for anyone curious).

So Thank you very much to all those that helped me make my informed decision. and I'll leave this thread up in case anyone else needs this info. You all have a great day and Thanks again.

Howdy, i have an old motherboard asus m2n-e and was considering doing what you did. my question is did you have to reinstall all your software from scratch or did it detect new mobo and boot up ok? thanks!

m
l
!