Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Display Driver Stopped Responding HD 5850/5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2010 3:59:28 PM

Hello,

This is my first time using this forum and I desperately need help. In June I purchased a new rig and I am kind of a noob when it comes to building PC's. I put my computer together and everything worked except when I played any game from BFBC2 to a internet flash games, my display driver stopped responding and would recover but the game would crash. I RMA'd my gigabyte 5850 and when it was return it still didn't work right. I also have a XFX 5870 and its the same problem. I tried all the drivers on AMDs website. I reloaded windows 7 professional which is what I'm using and same problem persists. Also I originally had a ASRock motherboard and AMD support told me to get a new one and i got an ASUS and that didn't help. Its been 3 months and I'm itching for this thing to work right. Any help is appreciative.

RIG:
-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
-Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
-GeIL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GV36GB1333C9TC
-XFX HD-587A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card
-Windows 7 Professional x64

More about : display driver stopped responding 5850 5870

September 21, 2010 5:40:36 PM

First things first, set your RAM timings and voltage. Go on your RAM manufacturers website and find the correct timings and voltage for your particular kind of RAM, then go into your BIOS and set the timings correctly. The BIOS should be self-explanatory, but if some of the terms confuse you, look up a RAM timings guide that should explain exactly what everything means and what to change.

Second, make sure you do a clean install on your ATI drivers. This is a more complicated process, but it should fix the problems you have. Also, use Catalyst 10.8, as 10.9 is crap and might be the cause of some of your problems.

Software needed: Catalyst 10.8, Driver Sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

1. Uninstall ATI Application Profiles from Add/Remove Programs.
2. Uninstall ATI Catalyst Drivers from Add/Remove Programs (choose express uninstall all ATI software option).
3. Go to the Device Manager and select your graphics card.
4. Right click it and select "Properties".
5. Find the tab that contains the driver information.
6. Hit "uninstall", and in the confirmation dialog that comes up, make sure "uninstall driver software" is checked.
7. Reboot into safe mode using msconfig (use link provided below to find out how to do so).
8. Run Driver Sweeper and clean ATI Graphics files. It might ask you to reboot, if it does, do so.
9. After finishing with Driver Sweeper, reboot into normal mode using msconfig. After reboot, you might find that your resolution has been reset. Just use control panel to change it back to your monitor's native resolution.
10. Install Catalyst 10.8.
11. Profit!

I had similar problems with my 5970, I tried this method of a clean driver install (after setting my RAM timings) and everything is running perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Safemode using msconfig:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/safe-mode-f8-doesnt-w...
Score
September 23, 2010 2:09:28 AM

So I downloaded 10.8 that didn't work. As far as the memory voltages I couldn't really figure that out but would it really affect my display driver not working?
Score
Related resources
September 23, 2010 2:47:21 AM

Try 10.3 or 10.4, that's the most stable driver for now...
Score
September 23, 2010 5:08:49 AM

sucho said:
So I downloaded 10.8 that didn't work. As far as the memory voltages I couldn't really figure that out but would it really affect my display driver not working?

It's most likely "display driver not responding"-this is due to power saving future
-if you running one card-Disable Catalyst A.I
-go to bios/ all power saving futures off /windows power option-high perf./sleep-never
-control panel-uninstall catalyst CCC/safe mode-driver sweeper(all ati crap )
-download install 10.9a hot fix
if that wont work
-make profile file in ccc (bump up your 2d clocks from 157/300 to say 400/900)
if that wont work
open window and let your PSU go..
Score
September 23, 2010 7:12:56 PM

can you walk me through that a little more sorry im a newbie and i dont no how to disable the A.I. nor what 10.9a is
Score
September 23, 2010 8:16:09 PM

In the windows control panel, under power saving options, try changing the power option to high performance and see if that helps anything.

I agree with a proper driver install. Don't just install "over" the old drivers. Uninstall everything, then run Driver Sweeper followed by Ccleaner to thoroughly remove the drivers. Then reboot and install the latest drivers fresh.

AFAIK, 10.8 and 10.9 supposedly fixed the issue.

Otherwise, sounds to me like maybe a power source problem... it is a Rosewill, afterall ;) 
Score
September 23, 2010 8:41:14 PM

I must have spent a days worth of time on the phone with amd support and i asked the guy if the power supply would affect the display driver he told me no
Score
September 23, 2010 8:42:44 PM

Also i have currently 10.8 installed at the moment lets see if this helps
Score
September 23, 2010 8:51:59 PM

wolfram23 said:
In the windows control panel, under power saving options, try changing the power option to high performance and see if that helps anything.

I agree with a proper driver install. Don't just install "over" the old drivers. Uninstall everything, then run Driver Sweeper followed by Ccleaner to thoroughly remove the drivers. Then reboot and install the latest drivers fresh.

AFAIK, 10.8 and 10.9 supposedly fixed the issue.

Otherwise, sounds to me like maybe a power source problem... it is a Rosewill, afterall ;) 

+1 ^^

When you get a message that says that the display driver is not responding, most of the time its a driver issue and has nothing to do with the card itself. I have seen tons of users RMA'ing perfectly good cards and then complain about the second card doing the same. If everyone did a bit of research prior to installing the card it would make their lives so much easier.

His PSU is fine as long as it's not faulty..
Score
September 23, 2010 9:09:08 PM

Who say it is ?
could be bios,windows,driver..all mention above +PSU
Score
September 24, 2010 1:23:02 AM

i dont care what it is if someone can tell me how to fix it id be really thankful
Score
September 26, 2010 5:13:52 PM

is there any other help someone can offer?
Score
September 26, 2010 7:26:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!