Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Need Help Please !!!!!!!!!!!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2011 12:43:52 AM

Hi Guys,

Can't decide on what parts to buy or to go with AMD or Intel. I know that the CPU is the first thing I need to make my mind up on first so, hoping the community here can give me a build to use so I can have enough grunt to run what I need it for. Really don't want to touch the Intel i3,i5,i7 stuff as too much bugs happening, was thinking AMD Ph x4 but not familiar with AMD so can't decide what board I want.

Below is a run down of what I need it for:

1) Ubuntu Server or Windows Server 2XXX - Main OS
2) Virtual Box - Running Windows XP, Mac OSX, Solaris, Android and Unix/Linux(haven't decided which Unix/Linux OS yet)
3) Running a few private servers on the VM's
4) Home network between 2 Desktops and 1 Vaio Laptop
5) Programming in C, C++, C#, A Etc
6) Video Editing
7) Photoshop
6) Trying to make my first game as well

Basically, I don't know what parts to get as its way too complicated out there in the market with Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock, Foxconn etc.

Any full build suggestions would be much appriciated along with any other suggestions you may have.

Thank you all in advance

More about : build

February 7, 2011 1:41:08 AM

I just built a system with an AMD 955 BE, Biostar FXE Motherboard, 4GB Tracer Ballistix, and a sapphire 5750. It is super fast and I would reccomend all the parts to anyone.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 2:00:37 AM

what is your price limit? do you prefer intel or amd---nivida or radeon..
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2011 5:21:59 AM

xerxces said:
I just built a system with an AMD 955 BE, Biostar FXE Motherboard, 4GB Tracer Ballistix, and a sapphire 5750. It is super fast and I would reccomend all the parts to anyone.

Thanks for the info, it looks do able, would you kindly give me the specs/parts so I can look into it a bit more?
m
l
February 7, 2011 5:27:24 AM

cia24 said:
what is your price limit? do you prefer intel or amd---nivida or radeon..

Hi Cia24,

Thanks for the idea, I haven't really decided Intel or AMD, little bit torn. Budget wise, well.... I am living in NZ and parts are pretty expensive compared to the rest of the world as we are in the middle of no where.

Sorry I am a noob, is this your recommendation or what your running on your system? :ASUS SABERTOOTH P67, Core i5-2500k,Coolermaster v-10, Evga GTX580, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600mhz, Xfx 850 PSU, Silverstone raven rv01, Windows 7 64-bit

I know that I can't afford the parts stated as just the CPU itself is $300 plus, Motherboard would cost around $400-$500, love the build though :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 5:33:05 AM

"Really don't want to touch the Intel i3,i5,i7 stuff as too much bugs happening"

Explain?
m
l
February 7, 2011 6:20:55 AM

Herr_Koos said:
"Really don't want to touch the Intel i3,i5,i7 stuff as too much bugs happening"

Explain?

Well the bugs are mainly on the i5 Sandy Bridge and I don't really want to buy the first generation i5's. My wife has a Sony Vaio i5 560M 2.66Ghz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2Ghz, 4GIGs, ATI Radeon Graphics card and I still don't feel it has enough grunt to run a normal game.

i7 is slightly out of my budget and don't know enough about them. There is also going to Ivy Bridge coming out so want to hear more first.

i3 doesn't have the grunt that I need to do what I need to do.

Frankly I just don't have enough faith in the new intel i series yet.

AMD I don't know enough about, however I have built an Intel Dual Core and a AMD and my AMD ran faster and at a lower temperature.

The main thing is that this is a hobby and I want to learn more, however don't have enough to make an informed decision as to what to buy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 7:32:17 AM

With that much going on I would say go PhenomII X6 and as much RAM as you can afford!
m
l
February 7, 2011 8:12:29 AM

Yea for all that multitasking an x6 might suffice but an i7 would clearly perform better and yes you will need lots of RAM
m
l
February 7, 2011 8:01:49 PM

Budget ?
Without budget we can't propose anything ...

I'd go for intel sandy bridge i5 2500 + 8gb ram + p8p67d-m pro + 1tb spinpoint + Seasonic S12ii 520 watts + (depends of your budget) gtx 560

Cheaper you could replace for Phenom 2 x4 + 8gb + cheap mobo, you'd lose some perfs and save some cash.

And then you can go higher (i7 2600 + SSD)
m
l
a c 148 à CPUs
February 7, 2011 8:55:07 PM

Are you planing on running all those VM's at the same time? The general rule is one core per vm...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 9:24:36 PM

jcyshin said:
Hi Cia24,

Thanks for the idea, I haven't really decided Intel or AMD, little bit torn. Budget wise, well.... I am living in NZ and parts are pretty expensive compared to the rest of the world as we are in the middle of no where.

Sorry I am a noob, is this your recommendation or what your running on your system? :ASUS SABERTOOTH P67, Core i5-2500k,Coolermaster v-10, Evga GTX580, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600mhz, Xfx 850 PSU, Silverstone raven rv01, Windows 7 64-bit

I know that I can't afford the parts stated as just the CPU itself is $300 plus, Motherboard would cost around $400-$500, love the build though :) 

This Is my system and i think it may or may not be out of your budget as to the "expert" saying dont touch i5's or i7's don't listen to him Intel is fixing the sandy bridge errors due in April.
m
l
!