WD red 3 TB: cant get post BIOS

Etweb

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Dear Tom's hardware forum

I have following problem with my WD red 3 TB hdd which I wanted to use as a pure storage drive only (exFAT)

Added WD red to my system,l everything worked fine, migrated some data onto it. After 24-48 h I restarted my computer and then it could not get beyond or even into BIOS with the hdd connected. I tried a USB to SATA adapter but no success either.

Any other harddrive just works.

So the funky thing now is that the exact same thing happened to me a week ago, I had the harddrive replaced by amazon and now it happened again (maybe same batch, I failed to record the firsts S/N). The previous time I used it on a Biostar H77MU3 which I replaced because I suspected it might have had a part with these problems - but now it looks like it did not. The gigabyte I am using now has a nicer layout so no big loss.

I bought the WD red because of the warranty and because I hoped for better data security. Thats why I paid the premium for the WD red line. I called the support but they were poor, wanted to tell me that it s not supposed to be used on a computer (hell, please what do you think a NAS device is...?) and asked me if I am sure my mainboard supports 4k (which it does of course... besides I was able to use both for 24h with no problems).

Anybody any ideas? I could not find somebody with a similar problem so far.

PC - Specs:

i7 3770
2 x 8 GB DDR Hyper X 1600Mhz
Gigabyte B75M-D3P
OS are on WD Scorpio blue (500 GB, 2.5")
Supermico Server Case
300 W 80plus PSU

Mac OS ML as Hackintosh
Ubuntu 12.10

Etweb

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

on what grounds? This Ablecom PWS-303-PQ came with a $100 case. Nothing else died. 300W is more than enough for the components.

Could it fry the hdd and nothing else. It still spins up when connected to power.