Intel i5-760 build recomendations

Hello. I am planning on buying a new desktop soon and have been lurking in the forums for a couple of weeks to familiarize myself with current components & technology.

I was wondering if folks could take a look at this build and give their feeback.

Approximate Purchase Date: soon
Budget Range: $1000 - 1300
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, programming, working from home
Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference, but using newegg to see available options
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: none
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Yes, eventually
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 may improve monitor later

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 - Would like to overclock

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - I'm slightly worried that the memory heatsink might interfere with the CPU cooler.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Video: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460

PSU: SeaSonic X650

SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932

Thanks in advance!
11 answers Last reply
More about intel build recomendations
  1. Looks Good to me. Nice Build!!!

2. the 6870 scales better than the 460. and the Mobo supports Dual x16 GPU's so you'll be fine to throw in another 6870 when you need it.

EDIT: i also prefer Velociraptor' over SSD Drives For the Price/Performance Ratio.
  3. A few things u should know about SATA/USB 3.0 tech and mobos as shown by our very own forums here
    USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,2583.html
    Not All USB 3.0 Implementations Are Created Equal
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nec-controller-usb-3-pd720200,2682.html
    Also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI.. with no backwards/forwards compatibility
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-sandy-bridge-details-of-the-next-gen/

4. You're probably right about the cpu cooler interfering with the memory heatsinks. I've built 3 machines with i5-750 and ripjaws memory, but I used the Xigmatec Balder cooler which is smaller than your cpu cooler. The Xigmatek allows you to raise the fan a little bit to clear the memory and I did this for the first one that I built. For the second and third I mounted the fans on the back of the cooler so it pulls rather than pushes, and it worked better that way. All 3 machines overclocked very well to about 3.8 to 3.9GHz but I reduced them to 3.5GHz for 24/7 use in our office.
  5. Thanks for the replies. I made a few changes based on some of your recommendations

The info on SATA/USB 3 and PCI Express was interesting reading and based on that I decided to change the motherboard to a MSI P55-GD85.

The combo for the 6870 and the i5-750 looks like a good deal.

I did a bit more research on the compatibility of the Noctua CPU Cooler and the memory, and found that they should work together. Noctua has a list of compatible memory at their web site
  6. if you're paying that much for a mobo you should just go i7 950.
  7. btpnlsl said:
    Thanks for the replies. I made a few changes based on some of your recommendations

The info on SATA/USB 3 and PCI Express was interesting reading and based on that I decided to change the motherboard to a MSI P55-GD85.

The combo for the 6870 and the i5-750 looks like a good deal.

I did a bit more research on the compatibility of the Noctua CPU Cooler and the memory, and found that they should work together. Noctua has a list of compatible memory at their web site

so something like this?
  8. ^You got triple channel memory by accident (I think)

I chose a larger PSU because you plan to SLI in the future and OC.

Edit: Forgot the SSD and this is the promo code for the ram...
    $10 off w/ promo code EMCZZYX22, ends 11/15
  9. karma831 said:
    ^You got triple channel memory by accident (I think)

>.< You're right i was making an i7 build before i threw that one together didn't check the ram.
  10. I'd suggest an asus p755d-e pro mobo. It uses sata 3 and usb3.0 while still running dual gpu's at 8x8x. It's only $180 and got a 9.5 on bjorn3d.com.
  11. GOOD BUILD
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product