Cheaters or superstars

Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping, and hitting a lot
of 1 and 2 shot kills.

Now I doubt there are that many great players so I have to think they are
cheating rampantly, but , who knows. They seem very hard to kill, much harder than the
bots . Now if I can play effectively against 6 bots in Skilled mode, why should a bunch
of 13 year olds be such a problem?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Frank Morise wrote:
> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping, and hitting a lot
> of 1 and 2 shot kills.
>
> Now I doubt there are that many great players so I have to think they are
> cheating rampantly, but , who knows. They seem very hard to kill, much harder than the
> bots . Now if I can play effectively against 6 bots in Skilled mode, why should a bunch
> of 13 year olds be such a problem?

Before you join a game (in the in-game browser) select the
server and look at the server details (lower left of the
browser). If you don't see either MutUTSecure or MutAntiTCC then
the server is open to all kinds of cheats and should be avoided.

I they are present and you continue to see the same behaviour,
then yes, some players ARE that good :( Lots on on-line practice
is about the only way to combat that ie. you have to become as
good as them to stand a chance.

The likelyhood is that they are not 13 but more like 23 with
many years of on-line gaming behind them. As for the bots, if
you can't win against them on Godlike, you're in for a kicking
on-line (this I know for a fact, I get owned every damn time I
play) - and I KNOW they aren't cheating....

HTH

--
Remove the DOT's to reply

Cheating is out of control with Unreal Tournament. I have UT2K3 but will not
buy UT2K4 because the games' designers have refused to make cheating
impossible.

It's too bad because I really enjoy the game and would have gladly shelled
out $50 for the new version if there cheating was fixed. Alas, I will suffer
through 2003 until it becomes obsolete, and deal with the cheats in there.

Survivor

"Frank Morise" <Gor4a@newnet.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping,
and hitting a lot
> of 1 and 2 shot kills.
>
> Now I doubt there are that many great players so I have to think
they are
> cheating rampantly, but , who knows. They seem very hard to kill, much
harder than the
> bots . Now if I can play effectively against 6 bots in Skilled mode, why
should a bunch
> of 13 year olds be such a problem?

I have been playing UT, UT2003 and UT2004 since they came out. I have
noticed a lot of cheat hacks out there for UT2003 and UT2004. It's out of
control. The one I hate is the "AIMBOT CHEAT". They never miss. One shot
kills every time. Now the ones that say there are no cheats are the ones
that are cheating. Just keep on playing and maybe the cheaters will get
cancer or Aid's and die.

i'll keep playing ut2k3 but will not shell out the bucks for 2004... the
programmers could have built in something to prevent cheating but chose not
to, so screw em.

Sloper

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

Steve wrote:

> The likelyhood is that they are not 13 but more like 23 with many years
> of on-line gaming behind them.

That old??

Our server admin's just load em on the server. Anyway, chances are,
anything that would be built into the game would be easily defeated.

Clyde Anderson wrote:

> i'll keep playing ut2k3 but will not shell out the bucks for 2004... the
> programmers could have built in something to prevent cheating but chose not
> to, so screw em.

Sloper

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

Frank Morise wrote:

> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping, and hitting a lot
> of 1 and 2 shot kills.

If you believe 90% of players are cheating, then you are very mistaken.
I've played ONS for several hours each day since it came out and I've
yet to play with anyone I suspected of cheating.

I sometimes get accused of cheating; its annoying, but I just type LOL
and ignore them, for they are fools.

Your need to play and practise a lot more, and show some respect for
those who have put in the time and effort!

Some really good points here. I am the epitome of mediocrity (hm, can I
trademark that?) in my gameplay - for me, success is landing in the
middle of the players final tally at the end of each map. 1st, what was
said is true, you MUST practice, you MUST cover your back and do
jump/spins, you MUST avoid a stationary position for more than a few
seconds, and you MUST use the games advantages (adrenaline, dodging,
etc), proper choice of weapon, and the terrain to your advantage.
Develop strength with all of the weapons, find the ones that work best
for YOU, and also learn how all of the weapons work so you know how to
respond when someone is after you with them. My clan mates really taught
me the basics back in our Unreal days (yikes, 4 years+ ago). "spec"ing
a player is good if yer suspicious, the anti-cheats loaded on servers
generally work, and admin's can check the server logs to ensure fair
play, banning those who are in fact cheating. We've had some amazing
folks on our servers over the years and their consistent gameplay blows
me away. But it IS their gameplay (along with a fine tuned gaming rig,
map/weapon knowledge, strategy, reflexes, and a dose of good luck) that
enables them to consistently win. Can't blame em for that, right?

btw, I'm 39 - not quite as old as the old dude, but catchin' up fast!

"FeldrewCo30" <feldrew@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Some really good points here. I am the epitome of mediocrity (hm, can I
> trademark that?) in my gameplay - for me, success is landing in the middle
> of the players final tally at the end of each map. 1st, what was said is
> true, you MUST practice, you MUST cover your back and do jump/spins, you
> MUST avoid a stationary position for more than a few seconds, and you MUST
> use the games advantages (adrenaline, dodging, etc), proper choice of
> weapon, and the terrain to your advantage. Develop strength with all of
> the weapons, find the ones that work best for YOU, and also learn how all
> of the weapons work so you know how to respond when someone is after you
> with them. My clan mates really taught me the basics back in our Unreal
> days (yikes, 4 years+ ago). "spec"ing a player is good if yer suspicious,
> the anti-cheats loaded on servers generally work, and admin's can check
> the server logs to ensure fair play, banning those who are in fact
> cheating. We've had some amazing folks on our servers over the years and
> their consistent gameplay blows me away. But it IS their gameplay (along
> with a fine tuned gaming rig, map/weapon knowledge, strategy, reflexes,
> and a dose of good luck) that enables them to consistently win. Can't
> blame em for that, right?

Well said. You pretty much summed up the important points. Really you can
look at it like playing golf or some other sport. You can be a weekend
duffer who plays to have fun and see the beautiful greens covered with
morning dew shimmering in the sunlight, or you can be a much more intensive
player who finds fun in the struggle to lower thier handicap. Either way can
be fun so it just comes to personal choice. I've had moments of greatness
but they are fleeting and far between. I've found for me that playing for
fun is the way to go. I much more prefer team based gaming like CTF or BR
for this reason. That way players like Melt or IWIK can make up for what I
lack in skill and everyone still has a good time (most often at my expense
:)

> btw, I'm 39 - not quite as old as the old dude, but catchin' up fast!

36 last week here.

Sloper

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

SomeOldDude wrote:

> I regularly run into guys who've told me they're 35+.

I'll be 45 in December, SomeOldDude.
Do you ever play on European ONS servers? I played in a server a couple
of nights ago, where 4 players had the word 'Old' in their nicks,
including me (I play as 'An Old Guy', even though I'm not old at all ;))
It was funny!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

SomeOldDude wrote:
<snip>
> On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
> next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
> found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can verify
> your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>
> Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
> encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone care
> to issue a rebuttal statement?
Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
the rabbits run....

Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)

/nick SomeEvenOlderDude

Screwball

--
Remove the DOT's to reply

laura

"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in message
> SomeOldDude wrote:
> <snip>
> > On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
> > next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
> > found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can
verify
> > your claim, he can probably ban the player.
> >
> > Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
> > encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone
care
> > to issue a rebuttal statement?
> Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
> the rabbits run....
>
> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>
> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>
> Screwball

You guys make me feel a looot better! I thought I was old @29!!!!

Laura

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Laura wrote:
> "Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in message
>
>>SomeOldDude wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
>>>next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
>>>found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can
>
> verify
>
>>>your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>>>
>>>Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
>>>encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone
>
> care
>
>>>to issue a rebuttal statement?
>>
>>Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
>>the rabbits run....
>>
>>Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>
>>/nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>
>>Screwball
>

> You guys make me feel a looot better! I thought I was old @29!!!!
>

> Laura

LOL - you yougsters....

--
Remove the DOT's to reply

"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> wrote in message

> "sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> scoffed:
>>
>> That old??
>
> Sounds about right. Around the time I turned 40 in June, I posed the
> question, "How old are the rest of you jokers, anyway?" I was surprised
> by
> the number of folks close to my age and older. Now, the question may have
> just appealed more to the older players and garnered more responses from
> them, but still, it was a mighty long thread, and most of the responses
> were
> from folks in their mid-twenties and older. I regularly run into guys
> who've told me they're 35+.
>
> ~SomeOldDude~

They are the only ones who can afford the hardware, broadband and have free
time to invest at becoming good at online play.
Unless you had pretty lax parents I don't see many 13 yr olds being able to
play for hours on end more than once or twice a week.

Sloper

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

SomeOldDude wrote:

> But I'll add you to my buddy list and keep an eye peeled for you. How,
> exactly, is your tag formatted? An_Old_Guy?

Yep, but all lower case. I dunno if that matters.
Er.. I haven't used the buddy list. Didn't know there was one!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

SomeOldDude wrote:
> If Dan Spears really is a "60_Year_Old_Man," then he's got us all beat.
>
> How about it, Dan?

Bah! At least I had top spot for a day or so :(
At least I now know I'm not the only "oldie" in UT2K4 land.....

Screwball

--
Remove the DOT's to reply

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
wrote:

>"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote
>>
>> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>
>> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>
>> Screwball
>
>Stick around wait for us, man. goPostal, FeldrewCo30 and I will be there in
>a few.
>
>~SOD~

Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)

And I can still kick major ass. <G>

>> "FeldrewCo30" <feldrew@yahoo.com> wrote > >
>>
>> > btw, I'm 39 - not quite as old as the old dude, but catchin' up fast!
>> >

> "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote >
>> 36 last week here.
>>

> Tell ya what... I'll stick here at 40 and wait for you two to catch up.

Don't do it! Call suicide prevention hot-line, someone cares.

--
---
Chip

"Oderint dum metuant."
- Lucius Accius

sid

sloper wrote:
> I played in a server a couple
> of nights ago, where 4 players had the word 'Old' in their nicks,

There is a clan =OLD=, you probably ran into a few of them. :)

--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-16

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote
>>>
>>> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>>
>>> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>>
>>> Screwball
>>
>>Stick around wait for us, man. goPostal, FeldrewCo30 and I will be there
>>in
>>a few.
>>
>>~SOD~
>>

> Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)

More like 51 and shuffling :))

> "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message
>>
>> "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)
>> >

>> More like 51 and shuffling :))
>>

> Hey, it's all relative. One man's shuffle is another man's surge.
>
> Personally, my fragging skillz are more like brief spurts of "not too
> shabby" interspersed with long periods of "why do I even bother?"
>
> ~SOD~

That's me to a T! Mind if I sig with that for a bit?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:20:35 -0700, "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote

>>>Stick around wait for us, man. goPostal, FeldrewCo30 and I will be there
>>>in
>>>a few.
>>>
>>>~SOD~
>>>

>> Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)
>>

>More like 51 and shuffling :))

It's a stylish shuffle. ;-)

Is there not a saying "Old dogs learn hard"? - Never heard about the buddies
list. :)
Well im only 38, and aparently i learn faster then you :-D

HaglStorm_DK