Cheaters or superstars

Last response: in Video Games
October 17, 2004 4:05:26 AM

Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping, and hitting a lot
of 1 and 2 shot kills.

Now I doubt there are that many great players so I have to think they are
cheating rampantly, but , who knows. They seem very hard to kill, much harder than the
bots . Now if I can play effectively against 6 bots in Skilled mode, why should a bunch
of 13 year olds be such a problem?

More about : cheaters superstars

October 17, 2004 2:34:00 PM

Frank Morise wrote:
> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping, and hitting a lot
> of 1 and 2 shot kills.
>
> Now I doubt there are that many great players so I have to think they are
> cheating rampantly, but , who knows. They seem very hard to kill, much harder than the
> bots . Now if I can play effectively against 6 bots in Skilled mode, why should a bunch
> of 13 year olds be such a problem?

Before you join a game (in the in-game browser) select the
server and look at the server details (lower left of the
browser). If you don't see either MutUTSecure or MutAntiTCC then
the server is open to all kinds of cheats and should be avoided.

I they are present and you continue to see the same behaviour,
then yes, some players ARE that good :(  Lots on on-line practice
is about the only way to combat that ie. you have to become as
good as them to stand a chance.

The likelyhood is that they are not 13 but more like 23 with
many years of on-line gaming behind them. As for the bots, if
you can't win against them on Godlike, you're in for a kicking
on-line (this I know for a fact, I get owned every damn time I
play) - and I KNOW they aren't cheating....

HTH

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
Anonymous

Cheating is out of control with Unreal Tournament. I have UT2K3 but will not
buy UT2K4 because the games' designers have refused to make cheating
impossible.

It's too bad because I really enjoy the game and would have gladly shelled
out $50 for the new version if there cheating was fixed. Alas, I will suffer
through 2003 until it becomes obsolete, and deal with the cheats in there.

Survivor

"Frank Morise" <Gor4a@newnet.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping,
and hitting a lot
> of 1 and 2 shot kills.
>
> Now I doubt there are that many great players so I have to think
they are
> cheating rampantly, but , who knows. They seem very hard to kill, much
harder than the
> bots . Now if I can play effectively against 6 bots in Skilled mode, why
should a bunch
> of 13 year olds be such a problem?
October 17, 2004 2:44:37 PM

I have been playing UT, UT2003 and UT2004 since they came out. I have
noticed a lot of cheat hacks out there for UT2003 and UT2004. It's out of
control. The one I hate is the "AIMBOT CHEAT". They never miss. One shot
kills every time. Now the ones that say there are no cheats are the ones
that are cheating. Just keep on playing and maybe the cheaters will get
cancer or Aid's and die.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:01:23 PM

i'll keep playing ut2k3 but will not shell out the bucks for 2004... the
programmers could have built in something to prevent cheating but chose not
to, so screw em.
October 17, 2004 6:07:07 PM

Steve wrote:

> The likelyhood is that they are not 13 but more like 23 with many years
> of on-line gaming behind them.

That old??
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:02:08 PM

Our server admin's just load em on the server. Anyway, chances are,
anything that would be built into the game would be easily defeated.

Clyde Anderson wrote:

> i'll keep playing ut2k3 but will not shell out the bucks for 2004... the
> programmers could have built in something to prevent cheating but chose not
> to, so screw em.

October 17, 2004 9:28:58 PM

Frank Morise wrote:

> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping, and hitting a lot
> of 1 and 2 shot kills.

If you believe 90% of players are cheating, then you are very mistaken.
I've played ONS for several hours each day since it came out and I've
yet to play with anyone I suspected of cheating.

I sometimes get accused of cheating; its annoying, but I just type LOL
and ignore them, for they are fools.

Your need to play and practise a lot more, and show some respect for
those who have put in the time and effort!
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 9:28:59 PM

Some really good points here. I am the epitome of mediocrity (hm, can I
trademark that?) in my gameplay - for me, success is landing in the
middle of the players final tally at the end of each map. 1st, what was
said is true, you MUST practice, you MUST cover your back and do
jump/spins, you MUST avoid a stationary position for more than a few
seconds, and you MUST use the games advantages (adrenaline, dodging,
etc), proper choice of weapon, and the terrain to your advantage.
Develop strength with all of the weapons, find the ones that work best
for YOU, and also learn how all of the weapons work so you know how to
respond when someone is after you with them. My clan mates really taught
me the basics back in our Unreal days (yikes, 4 years+ ago). "spec"ing
a player is good if yer suspicious, the anti-cheats loaded on servers
generally work, and admin's can check the server logs to ensure fair
play, banning those who are in fact cheating. We've had some amazing
folks on our servers over the years and their consistent gameplay blows
me away. But it IS their gameplay (along with a fine tuned gaming rig,
map/weapon knowledge, strategy, reflexes, and a dose of good luck) that
enables them to consistently win. Can't blame em for that, right?

btw, I'm 39 - not quite as old as the old dude, but catchin' up fast!

SomeOldDude wrote:
> "sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> spake these words of wisdom:
>
>>If you believe 90% of players are cheating, then you are very mistaken.
>>I've played ONS for several hours each day since it came out and I've
>>yet to play with anyone I suspected of cheating.
>>
>>I sometimes get accused of cheating; its annoying, but I just type LOL
>>and ignore them, for they are fools.
>>
>>Your need to play and practise a lot more, and show some respect for
>>those who have put in the time and effort!
>

> I'm with Sloper. I used to think the folks who were spanking me were
> cheaters, too. Until I played enough that I got better, and realized that a
> lot of it is skill, combined with a wee bit of luck. And, finally, even I
> was accused of cheating. If you ever saw the way my scores fluctuate from
> game to game, you'd know I'm no cheater.
>
> Next time you think somebody is cheating, disconnect from the server, then
> rejoin as a spectator. Bounce around until you find the player you think is
> cheating. Once you find the suspect, pull down the console (tilde (~) on my
> machine... don't know about yours) and type "behindview 0". Then you'll be
> seeing through the suspect's eyes. And you'll probably find that they miss
> a lot more shots than you think they do. And you might pick up some
> pointers, in the process.
>
> On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
> next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
> found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can verify
> your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>
> Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
> encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone care
> to issue a rebuttal statement?
>
> ~SomeOldDude~

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 9:29:00 PM

"FeldrewCo30" <feldrew@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Some really good points here. I am the epitome of mediocrity (hm, can I
> trademark that?) in my gameplay - for me, success is landing in the middle
> of the players final tally at the end of each map. 1st, what was said is
> true, you MUST practice, you MUST cover your back and do jump/spins, you
> MUST avoid a stationary position for more than a few seconds, and you MUST
> use the games advantages (adrenaline, dodging, etc), proper choice of
> weapon, and the terrain to your advantage. Develop strength with all of
> the weapons, find the ones that work best for YOU, and also learn how all
> of the weapons work so you know how to respond when someone is after you
> with them. My clan mates really taught me the basics back in our Unreal
> days (yikes, 4 years+ ago). "spec"ing a player is good if yer suspicious,
> the anti-cheats loaded on servers generally work, and admin's can check
> the server logs to ensure fair play, banning those who are in fact
> cheating. We've had some amazing folks on our servers over the years and
> their consistent gameplay blows me away. But it IS their gameplay (along
> with a fine tuned gaming rig, map/weapon knowledge, strategy, reflexes,
> and a dose of good luck) that enables them to consistently win. Can't
> blame em for that, right?

Well said. You pretty much summed up the important points. Really you can
look at it like playing golf or some other sport. You can be a weekend
duffer who plays to have fun and see the beautiful greens covered with
morning dew shimmering in the sunlight, or you can be a much more intensive
player who finds fun in the struggle to lower thier handicap. Either way can
be fun so it just comes to personal choice. I've had moments of greatness
but they are fleeting and far between. I've found for me that playing for
fun is the way to go. I much more prefer team based gaming like CTF or BR
for this reason. That way players like Melt or IWIK can make up for what I
lack in skill and everyone still has a good time (most often at my expense
:)

> btw, I'm 39 - not quite as old as the old dude, but catchin' up fast!

36 last week here.
October 17, 2004 10:38:12 PM

SomeOldDude wrote:

> I regularly run into guys who've told me they're 35+.

I'll be 45 in December, SomeOldDude.
Do you ever play on European ONS servers? I played in a server a couple
of nights ago, where 4 players had the word 'Old' in their nicks,
including me (I play as 'An Old Guy', even though I'm not old at all ;) )
It was funny!
October 18, 2004 2:51:43 AM

SomeOldDude wrote:
<snip>
> On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
> next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
> found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can verify
> your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>
> Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
> encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone care
> to issue a rebuttal statement?
Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
the rabbits run....

Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)

/nick SomeEvenOlderDude

Screwball

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
October 18, 2004 12:52:33 PM

"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in message
> SomeOldDude wrote:
> <snip>
> > On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
> > next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
> > found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can
verify
> > your claim, he can probably ban the player.
> >
> > Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
> > encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone
care
> > to issue a rebuttal statement?
> Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
> the rabbits run....
>
> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>
> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>
> Screwball

You guys make me feel a looot better! I thought I was old @29!!!!

Laura
October 18, 2004 9:57:26 PM

Laura wrote:
> "Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in message
>
>>SomeOldDude wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
>>>next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
>>>found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can
>
> verify
>
>>>your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>>>
>>>Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
>>>encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone
>
> care
>
>>>to issue a rebuttal statement?
>>
>>Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
>>the rabbits run....
>>
>>Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>
>>/nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>
>>Screwball
>

> You guys make me feel a looot better! I thought I was old @29!!!!
>

> Laura

LOL - you yougsters....

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
Anonymous

"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> wrote in message

> "sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> scoffed:
>>
>> That old??
>
> Sounds about right. Around the time I turned 40 in June, I posed the
> question, "How old are the rest of you jokers, anyway?" I was surprised
> by
> the number of folks close to my age and older. Now, the question may have
> just appealed more to the older players and garnered more responses from
> them, but still, it was a mighty long thread, and most of the responses
> were
> from folks in their mid-twenties and older. I regularly run into guys
> who've told me they're 35+.
>
> ~SomeOldDude~

They are the only ones who can afford the hardware, broadband and have free
time to invest at becoming good at online play.
Unless you had pretty lax parents I don't see many 13 yr olds being able to
play for hours on end more than once or twice a week.
October 19, 2004 3:29:17 AM

SomeOldDude wrote:

> But I'll add you to my buddy list and keep an eye peeled for you. How,
> exactly, is your tag formatted? An_Old_Guy?

Yep, but all lower case. I dunno if that matters.
Er.. I haven't used the buddy list. Didn't know there was one!
October 19, 2004 3:51:45 AM

SomeOldDude wrote:

> Give it a shot!

Cheers, will do :)
October 19, 2004 1:50:12 PM

SomeOldDude wrote:
> If Dan Spears really is a "60_Year_Old_Man," then he's got us all beat.
>
> How about it, Dan?

Bah! At least I had top spot for a day or so :(
At least I now know I'm not the only "oldie" in UT2K4 land.....

Screwball

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
Anonymous

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
wrote:

>"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote
>>
>> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>
>> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>
>> Screwball
>
>Stick around wait for us, man. goPostal, FeldrewCo30 and I will be there in
>a few.
>
>~SOD~

Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)

And I can still kick major ass. <G>
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:58:15 PM

"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> wrote in
news:o rXcd.240$n%2.3663@eagle.america.net:

>> "FeldrewCo30" <feldrew@yahoo.com> wrote > >
>>
>> > btw, I'm 39 - not quite as old as the old dude, but catchin' up fast!
>> >

> "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote >
>> 36 last week here.
>>

> Tell ya what... I'll stick here at 40 and wait for you two to catch up.

Don't do it! Call suicide prevention hot-line, someone cares.

--
---
Chip

"Oderint dum metuant."
- Lucius Accius
October 19, 2004 8:03:44 PM

sloper wrote:
> I played in a server a couple
> of nights ago, where 4 players had the word 'Old' in their nicks,

There is a clan =OLD=, you probably ran into a few of them. :)

--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-16

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote
>>>
>>> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>>
>>> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>>
>>> Screwball
>>
>>Stick around wait for us, man. goPostal, FeldrewCo30 and I will be there
>>in
>>a few.
>>
>>~SOD~
>>

> Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)

More like 51 and shuffling :) )
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:07:32 AM

> "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message
>>
>> "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)
>> >

>> More like 51 and shuffling :) )
>>

> Hey, it's all relative. One man's shuffle is another man's surge.
>
> Personally, my fragging skillz are more like brief spurts of "not too
> shabby" interspersed with long periods of "why do I even bother?"
>
> ~SOD~

That's me to a T! Mind if I sig with that for a bit?
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:30:38 PM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:20:35 -0700, "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:27:31 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote

>>>Stick around wait for us, man. goPostal, FeldrewCo30 and I will be there
>>>in
>>>a few.
>>>
>>>~SOD~
>>>

>> Catch me, ya whippersnappers. 51 and surging. ;-)
>>

>More like 51 and shuffling :) )

It's a stylish shuffle. ;-)
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 11:00:20 PM

Is there not a saying "Old dogs learn hard"? - Never heard about the buddies
list. :-)
Well im only 38, and aparently i learn faster then you :-D

HaglStorm_DK

"sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
> SomeOldDude wrote:
>
>> Give it a shot!
>
> Cheers, will do :)
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 11:06:01 PM

But you are a girl so you are old!!
Where as I am male and in mine prime at 38.

"Laura" <lauraandpat@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse

> "Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in message
>> SomeOldDude wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to
>> > the
>> > next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've
>> > probably
>> > found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can
> verify
>> > your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>> >
>> > Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
>> > encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone
> care
>> > to issue a rebuttal statement?
>> Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
>> the rabbits run....
>>
>> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>
>> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>
>> Screwball
>

> You guys make me feel a looot better! I thought I was old @29!!!!
>

> Laura

October 20, 2004 11:28:58 PM

Aren't girl years close to dog years or something ?
:-))))))

JC

"Ole Bech" <olebech@e-mail.dk> wrote in message
> But you are a girl so you are old!!
> Where as I am male and in mine prime at 38.
>
> "Laura" <lauraandpat@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>>
>> "Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in message
>>> SomeOldDude wrote:
>>> <snip>
>> verify

>> care
>>> Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see
>>> the rabbits run....
>>>
>>> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>>
>>> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>>
>>> Screwball
>>

>> You guys make me feel a looot better! I thought I was old @29!!!!
>>

>> Laura

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:20:33 AM

Perhaps even more, agreed?

:-))

"JC" <.@.somehwere> skrev i en meddelelse
> Aren't girl years close to dog years or something ?
> :-))))))
>
> JC
>
> "Ole Bech" <olebech@e-mail.dk> wrote in message
>> But you are a girl so you are old!!
>> Where as I am male and in mine prime at 38.
>>
>> "Laura" <lauraandpat@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>>>
>>> "Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in message
>>> verify

>>> care

>>> You guys make me feel a looot better! I thought I was old @29!!!!
>>>

>>> Laura

October 21, 2004 2:01:27 AM

Ole Bech wrote:

> Is there not a saying "Old dogs learn hard"? - Never heard about the buddies
> list. :-)
> Well im only 38, and aparently i learn faster then you :-D

That confirms the saying then, doesn't it?
I start UT2004 to play the game, not look for buddies.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 5:31:25 AM

Hi old farts!
I am 38 and my nick is:
()-_-()
you may add me to your buddies list. I mostly play on european 2k4 and goty
servers cause i play from germany.

happy fraggings!
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 5:33:42 AM

Am Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:40:06 -0230 schrieb Clyde Anderson:

> Cheating is out of control with Unreal Tournament. I have UT2K3 but will not
> buy UT2K4 because the games' designers have refused to make cheating
> impossible.
>
> It's too bad because I really enjoy the game and would have gladly shelled
> out $50 for the new version if there cheating was fixed. Alas, I will suffer
> through 2003 until it becomes obsolete, and deal with the cheats in there.
>
> Survivor
>

> "Frank Morise" <Gor4a@newnet.com> wrote in message
>> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
>> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping,
> and hitting a lot
>> of 1 and 2 shot kills.
>>
>> Now I doubt there are that many great players so I have to think
> they are
>> cheating rampantly, but , who knows. They seem very hard to kill, much
> harder than the
>> bots . Now if I can play effectively against 6 bots in Skilled mode, why
> should a bunch
>> of 13 year olds be such a problem?

Please fix your tofu.
I never found cheating guys in ut2k4

hth
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 9:04:49 PM

All in all.
Following the theads in this NG gives me hope for the future.

51 years and still playing is some one here. I have high hopes for my
future. There is still time for some improvement in fragging.

Perhaps we should start a new clan: AA - Aproching Alzhiemers
Our fragging skills would be somewhat shaky. Imagine a Alzheimers hand
shaking the screen to pieces.

HaglStorm_DK

"Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi old farts!
> I am 38 and my nick is:
> ()-_-()
> you may add me to your buddies list. I mostly play on european 2k4 and
> goty
> servers cause i play from germany.
>
> happy fraggings!
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 9:11:06 PM

Damn I never got accused of cheating. I am apparently not good enough. I
have better pratice some more then.

> Frank Morise wrote:
>
>> Whenever I play on the 2004 servers, it seems 90% of the players are all
>> superstars, one shot kills, shooting while jumping around and flipping,
>> and hitting a lot
>> of 1 and 2 shot kills.
>
> If you believe 90% of players are cheating, then you are very mistaken.
> I've played ONS for several hours each day since it came out and I've yet
> to play with anyone I suspected of cheating.
>
> I sometimes get accused of cheating; its annoying, but I just type LOL and
> ignore them, for they are fools.
>
> Your need to play and practise a lot more, and show some respect for those
> who have put in the time and effort!
October 22, 2004 8:09:13 PM

> Perhaps even more, agreed?
>
> :-))
>

> "JC" <.@.somehwere> skrev i en meddelelse
> > Aren't girl years close to dog years or something ?
> > :-))))))
> >
> > JC

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!

You both need a head shot. ;-)

Laura
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 2:50:02 AM

ha, we've got our resident OldManCo30 who is over 50!

Steve wrote:

> SomeOldDude wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
>> next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
>> found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can
>> verify
>> your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>>
>> Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
>> encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone
>> care
>> to issue a rebuttal statement?
>
> Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see the
> rabbits run....
>
> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>
> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>
> Screwball

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:27:22 AM

Try me!

And tell me when you do it ok?

Find me as HaglStorm_DK

> "Ole Bech" <olebech@e-mail.dk> wrote in message
>> Perhaps even more, agreed?
>>
>> :-))
>>

>> "JC" <.@.somehwere> skrev i en meddelelse
>> > Aren't girl years close to dog years or something ?
>> > :-))))))
>> >
>> > JC
>>

> GRRRRRRRRRRR!!
>
> You both need a head shot. ;-)
>

> Laura

October 23, 2004 3:12:45 PM

> Try me!
>
> And tell me when you do it ok?
>
> Find me as HaglStorm_DK

Heh, my pleasure...

find me as Mistress_Laura
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:26:20 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:50:02 -0400, FeldrewCo30 <feldrew@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>ha, we've got our resident OldManCo30 who is over 50!
>
>Steve wrote:
>
>> SomeOldDude wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> On the other hand, if you see their crosshairs snap automatically to the
>>> next available victim, and they really never miss, well, you've probably
>>> found a cheater. Report him to the server's admin. If the admin can
>>> verify
>>> your claim, he can probably ban the player.
>>>
>>> Some of this is supposition on my part, because I've never actually
>>> encountered anyone in UT2004 that I could prove was cheating. Anyone
>>> care
>>> to issue a rebuttal statement?
>>
>> Another way is to get the Admin to login in via WebAdmin - see the
>> rabbits run....
>>
>> Is there a prize for the oldest UT2K4 player? 48 next month :)
>>
>> /nick SomeEvenOlderDude
>>
>> Screwball

I'm 62 and still am able to win...once in a great while. It's a lot
of fun. Started playing with Quake and never looked back. I seem to
do best on a small map with lots of players. Don't do any team play.
I'll never be accused of cheating -I get fraged a lot cause I'm busy
laughing.

Me
October 23, 2004 10:14:37 PM

SomeOldDude wrote:

Nice to see you this afternoon SomeOldDude. Your ping was high... 264 I
think!! Whereabouts are you?
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:43:13 AM

Glad to see so many responses to my question on cheating.

I too, am an inch away from the grave (51). Never been a big gamer by any means, but
cut my teeth on the Atari 800, so I know something anyhow.

Now , the guy that said you should be able to win in Godlike mode to be effective
online, huh? I don't think so.

As for the wide range of opinions as to whether there is rampant cheating or not, no
one can say for sure

I'm playing on a kind of feeble system for such things, though it should not be a big
factor. Also, using the mouse and keyboard, where many others might be using
programmable's that aid in fast movement and constant jumping, which I find to be a huge
pain in the butt. If I wanted to jump up and down ad nauseum , I'd look for a game where
the main character was a freakin rabbit, or maybe a jumping bean.

Anyhow , I've 'spectated' some of those I suspect of cheating and it's not really clear
if they are or not. I just get the impression they have some edge I don't know about ,
beyond practice. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not.
October 25, 2004 1:33:52 PM

Frank Morise wrote:
> Glad to see so many responses to my question on cheating.
>
> I too, am an inch away from the grave (51). Never been a big gamer by any means, but
> cut my teeth on the Atari 800, so I know something anyhow.
>
> Now , the guy that said you should be able to win in Godlike mode to be effective
> online, huh? I don't think so.

Dis I say effective? (post has expired so I can't check). You
can be "effective" - in a team game like Onslaught - at any
reasonable level of skill. In DM? much less so IMO.

> As for the wide range of opinions as to whether there is rampant cheating or not, no
> one can say for sure

It exists, but is less common than it was in the past, due in no
small part to the anti-cheat mutators currently available.

> I'm playing on a kind of feeble system for such things, though it should not be a big
> factor. Also, using the mouse and keyboard, where many others might be using
> programmable's that aid in fast movement and constant jumping, which I find to be a huge
> pain in the butt. If I wanted to jump up and down ad nauseum , I'd look for a game where
> the main character was a freakin rabbit, or maybe a jumping bean.

If ppl are using "programables" to combine multiple keystrokes
into 1 (jump-dodge-jump) then most folks would consider that a
cheat.

Jumping beans are incredibly difficult to kill - a distict
advantage in a game where the whole idea is "to kill and not be
killed while doing it".

> Anyhow , I've 'spectated' some of those I suspect of cheating and it's not really clear
> if they are or not. I just get the impression they have some edge I don't know about ,
> beyond practice. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not.

It can sometimes be VERY difficult to separate the very good
players from the cheats. The non-cheating ones have 3 distict
advantages over the likes of me and thee:- They are young
(flexible fingers and good control of them), they are young
(perfect eyesight) and they are young (very quick reactions).
Oh, and they can count as well :)

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
Anonymous

Am Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:04:49 +0200 schrieb Ole Bech:

> All in all.
> Following the theads in this NG gives me hope for the future.
>
> 51 years and still playing is some one here. I have high hopes for my
> future. There is still time for some improvement in fragging.
>
> Perhaps we should start a new clan: AA - Aproching Alzhiemers
> Our fragging skills would be somewhat shaky. Imagine a Alzheimers hand
> shaking the screen to pieces.
>
> HaglStorm_DK
>
> "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Hi old farts!
>> I am 38 and my nick is:
>> ()-_-()
>> you may add me to your buddies list. I mostly play on european 2k4 and
>> goty
>> servers cause i play from germany.
>>
>> happy fraggings!

muahhh! Alzheimers rock!!!

btw: u r from Denmark?
October 25, 2004 6:30:10 PM

Steve wrote:

> It can sometimes be VERY difficult to separate the very good players
> from the cheats. The non-cheating ones have 3 distict advantages over
> the likes of me and thee:- They are young (flexible fingers and good
> control of them), they are young (perfect eyesight) and they are young
> (very quick reactions).

Personally, I don't subscribe to the theory that younger players always
have these advantages, and especially not in ONS, where intelligent play
and a little guile are as important as DM-style dodging and shooting skills.

I was in a well-known European Insta clan (UT99)when I was 43, and
wasn't outplayed by many, so nope, I don't think youth is necessarily
better.
October 25, 2004 6:30:11 PM

Sloper wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> It can sometimes be VERY difficult to separate the very good players
>> from the cheats. The non-cheating ones have 3 distict advantages over
>> the likes of me and thee:- They are young (flexible fingers and good
>> control of them), they are young (perfect eyesight) and they are young
>> (very quick reactions).
>

> Personally, I don't subscribe to the theory that younger players always
> have these advantages, and especially not in ONS, where intelligent play
> and a little guile are as important as DM-style dodging and shooting
> skills.
>
> I was in a well-known European Insta clan (UT99)when I was 43, and
> wasn't outplayed by many, so nope, I don't think youth is necessarily
> better.

What I said was intended to be "tongue-in-cheek" - they were
generalisations, not statements of fact. Of course there are
occasions when experience counts for more than ability, but I
would still contend that - in general - the younger players
have an "edge" over older players.
Consider most games where skill is involved (football, snooker,
golf and indeed many others) - the older players are normally
there or thereabouts, but it's the younger players who tend to
win (or be instrumental in a team winning).

Just my tuppence worth.

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
Anonymous

Yes I am.
And mostly play european 2k4 ons servers.

Find you out there.... at the wrong end of my flak :-)

"Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> skrev i en meddelelse
news:o 3p5g3jewbo3$.x4ce36jzbtlt$.dlg@40tude.net...
> Am Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:04:49 +0200 schrieb Ole Bech:
>
>> All in all.
>> Following the theads in this NG gives me hope for the future.
>>
>> 51 years and still playing is some one here. I have high hopes for my
>> future. There is still time for some improvement in fragging.
>>
>> Perhaps we should start a new clan: AA - Aproching Alzhiemers
>> Our fragging skills would be somewhat shaky. Imagine a Alzheimers hand
>> shaking the screen to pieces.
>>
>> HaglStorm_DK
>>
>> "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> skrev i en meddelelse
>>> Hi old farts!
>>> I am 38 and my nick is:
>>> ()-_-()
>>> you may add me to your buddies list. I mostly play on european 2k4 and
>>> goty
>>> servers cause i play from germany.
>>>
>>> happy fraggings!
>
> muahhh! Alzheimers rock!!!
>
> btw: u r from Denmark?
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 8:33:59 AM

Am Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:18:16 +0200 schrieb HaglStorm_DK:

> Yes I am.
> And mostly play european 2k4 ons servers.
>
> Find you out there.... at the wrong end of my flak :-)

THX.
Surfing with different identities? Your Tofu is worse now...
Wanna beat me? Nick is:
()-_-()
in 2k4 i prefere ons, vctf and assault (especially the race-tracks)

Greetz
October 27, 2004 3:26:10 AM

Steve wrote:

> What I said was intended to be "tongue-in-cheek" - they were
> generalisations, not statements of fact. Of course there are occasions
> when experience counts for more than ability, but I would still contend
> that - in general - the younger players have an "edge" over older players.
> Consider most games where skill is involved (football, snooker, golf and
> indeed many others) - the older players are normally there or
> thereabouts, but it's the younger players who tend to win (or be
> instrumental in a team winning).

Sports such as football demand fitness and stamina, besides skill. They
are physical games and can be discounted as irrelevant to this debate.

Snooker - I'll give you that in recent years, younger players have
dominated, possibly as they are the ones who fill the snooker clubs.
But, your claim that younger players have an edge because "They are
young (flexible fingers and good control of them), they are young
(perfect eyesight) and they are young (very quick reactions)" doesn't
have a bearing here either, as these are abilities irrelevant to snooker.

What about pool? The best players in the world are certainly not all
young. Many of them are 40+..... Earl Strickland, Efren Reyes, Steve
Davis, Oliver Hortmann, Ralph Souquet... most of those being recent
world champions!

Golf? Similar to pool I'd say. I'm not too well-informed about golf, but
wouldn't consider most of the players I can think as being particularly
young.

Older players can be and *are* as good as younger players at games such
as UT. It may not seems so, as the majority of PC gamers are surely of
the younger generation. There aren't so many older ones about.

Just my tuppence worth.
October 27, 2004 3:26:11 AM

Sloper wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>

> Sports such as football demand fitness and stamina, besides skill. They
> are physical games and can be discounted as irrelevant to this debate.
>
> Snooker - I'll give you that in recent years, younger players have
> dominated, possibly as they are the ones who fill the snooker clubs.
> But, your claim that younger players have an edge because "They are
> young (flexible fingers and good control of them), they are young
> (perfect eyesight) and they are young (very quick reactions)" doesn't
> have a bearing here either, as these are abilities irrelevant to snooker.
>
> What about pool? The best players in the world are certainly not all
> young. Many of them are 40+..... Earl Strickland, Efren Reyes, Steve
> Davis, Oliver Hortmann, Ralph Souquet... most of those being recent
> world champions!
>
> Golf? Similar to pool I'd say. I'm not too well-informed about golf, but
> wouldn't consider most of the players I can think as being particularly
> young.
>
> Older players can be and *are* as good as younger players at games such
> as UT. It may not seems so, as the majority of PC gamers are surely of
> the younger generation. There aren't so many older ones about.

Ok, I've made my point and you've made yours. Let's agree to
differ and leave it at that eh?

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
October 27, 2004 2:01:19 PM

SomeOldDude wrote:
> "Steve" <Screwball127@blueyonderDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote
>
>>Ok, I've made my point and you've made yours. Let's agree to
>>differ and leave it at that eh?
>>

> What? That kind of conciliatory attitude will never do!
>
> I call for Sloper and Steve to FIGHT TO THE DEATH!
>
> ~SOD~

Not a chance :)

If I were to win, I would be proving his point for him (he's 45
(dec) I'm 48 (nov)).
If I lost (a more likely scenario), I could be accused of
deliberately losing in order to prove *my* point.
So I'd be on a hiding to nothing - damned if I do and damned if
I dont. :(

On a slightly more serious note, I have no intention of becoming
embroiled in a public slanging match over a game - especially
when there are far more important issues which should be being
discussed which affect *all* of us. (but not in this ng - please!)

Steve

--
Remove the DOT's to reply
Anonymous

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:26:10 +0100, Sloper <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Golf? Similar to pool I'd say. I'm not too well-informed about golf, but
>wouldn't consider most of the players I can think as being particularly
>young.

That's actually an excellent example. If you look at the winners of
the four major tournaments over the past 20 years, the average age is
closer to 40 than it is to 20. Reason being that golf is as much a
mental game as it is a physical game. It takes years to develop the
right mental attitude to be successful at the top echelons of golf. I
would imagine there is a corollary to gaming there as well. I know in
my 51 year old heart that I have won many games due to my mental
attitude as opposed to my physical skills.

Alas, once you get to a certain age level, all the cunning in the
world won't make up for the ravages of time. The average age of the
winners of the major golf tournaments is closer to 40, but it's not
closer to 60. :-(
!