New HDD

Steagan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I'm looking for a new hard drive. I currently have a 1TB Western Digital Green. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-1TB-WD10EADS-00L5B1-DCM-HHRNNT2MFN-Sata-HDD-/110959782225?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item19d5b7e951)

I'm really not interested in SSD right now but only hdd's. I was looking to upgrade to maybe a 1TB Western Digital black. Will I notice a big difference? Is there anything comparable to the WDC Black?

Solution
boot time will improve somewhat thanks to the blacks faster transfer speed (7200 rpm vs variable* rpm on the green) and larger cache. You might see a 5-6 second improvement there.

Most applications will not see much of an improvement at all.

*The green uses a variable rpm design who's top speed is 7200rpm so its not as far behind the black as many people think.

Steagan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for the feedback. I use it for gaming here and there and for word docs. So no real difference it game load times or boot time?

popatim

Titan
boot time will improve somewhat thanks to the blacks faster transfer speed (7200 rpm vs variable* rpm on the green) and larger cache. You might see a 5-6 second improvement there.

Most applications will not see much of an improvement at all.

*The green uses a variable rpm design who's top speed is 7200rpm so its not as far behind the black as many people think.

Solution

Steagan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll pass on the HDD upgrade then and be happy with what I got.

TRENDING THREADS