Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

~1k PC for CS5 (Painting, Video Editing)... eta: new tentative build!!

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 13, 2010 12:10:22 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Between now and Black Friday. The sooner, the better.

Budget Range: about 1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Primary: Photo editing and Painting in Photoshop CS5 with a buttload of layers
Secondary: moderate video editing in Premiere and After Effects (I'm a student, not a pro!), surfing the web and chatting, and doing homework... if I must!!

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitors, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel, Asus or Gigabyte

Overclocking: emphatic No

SLI or Crossfire: I was told I don't need to care about this for my purposes? Is this true?

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (x2 monitors)

Additional Comments: Ok, I'm totally new to computer building so please forgive my boundless ignorance. I've only helped my friend do it once before (and by help I mean watch over her shoulder and supply her with food while she did it). As stated above, my main use for this computer is photo editing, super high-res digital painting in CS5 with dual monitors, and some light to moderate video editing in premiere and after effects. Oh, and writing school papers. I'm not concerned with gaming (unfortunately, no time for games)!


Parts Already Chosen/Current Tentative Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R OR GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460
Is EVGA better than Gigabyte?

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
I'm pretty sure this one is compatible, right?

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3
According to Newegg's PSU recommendation selector... 750W is enough. Agree?

HDD: something about 1 TB... any one the ones already recommended in this thread look fine to me :) 

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II

Ok...... am I missing anything??

If anyone's curious I'm using a ViewSonic VP2365WB 23-Inch IPS LCD as my primary monitor. Getting either a second one or something else less expensive in the same size range (neither are included in the 1k budget).
November 13, 2010 12:30:58 AM

Photoshop loves Cores so a hexacore processor would be perfect.


^^ The PSU is a bit of overkill but all in all who doesn't love overkill?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 13, 2010 3:14:44 AM

CS5 w/o CUDA is like running in concrete boots. So that means nVidia GFX.

Unfortunately, 1920 x 1080 on 2 monitors requires some GFX HP and I wouldn't do anything less than a 460 GTX ... and that's 1/5 of ya budget. You'll see several items marked for "later". My goal here was to give you an easy upgrade path and highly OC capable system by selecting certain items such that they can handle the upgrades and OC w/o replacing anything

Case - $90 - Coolermaster HAF-922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case Fans - Later - CM Red 200 mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU - $120 - Corsair HX750 (Could drop to a TX or Antec TP is not OC'ing
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo - $150 - Asus Sabertooth 55i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU - $209 - Intel i5-760
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler - $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM - $80 - 2 x 2GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 CAS 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GFX - $220 - EVGA GTX 460 SC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GFX - Later - Same

HD - $55 - Seagate 7200.12 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD - Later - OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Writer - $19 - ASUS 24X DVD Writer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's $988 but that system will handle all the "later" items no problem w/ plenty of room for extras. Keep in mind that I haven't as yet searched for combo deals which you should have no problem shaving bunch of $$ off with those.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 5:22:01 AM

Thanks for the advice... but I'm a little confused. I need two nvidia cards to run two monitors??? Why is that?

JackNaylorPE said:
CS5 w/o CUDA is like running in concrete boots. So that means nVidia GFX.

Unfortunately, 1920 x 1080 on 2 monitors requires some GFX HP and I wouldn't do anything less than a 460 GTX ... and that's 1/5 of ya budget. You'll see several items marked for "later". My goal here was to give you an easy upgrade path and highly OC capable system by selecting certain items such that they can handle the upgrades and OC w/o replacing anything

Case - $90 - Coolermaster HAF-922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case Fans - Later - CM Red 200 mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU - $120 - Corsair HX750 (Could drop to a TX or Antec TP is not OC'ing
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo - $150 - Asus Sabertooth 55i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU - $209 - Intel i5-760
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler - $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM - $80 - 2 x 2GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 CAS 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GFX - $220 - EVGA GTX 460 SC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GFX - Later - Same

HD - $55 - Seagate 7200.12 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD - Later - OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Writer - $19 - ASUS 24X DVD Writer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's $988 but that system will handle all the "later" items no problem w/ plenty of room for extras. Keep in mind that I haven't as yet searched for combo deals which you should have no problem shaving bunch of $$ off with those.

m
0
l
November 13, 2010 5:32:52 AM

Milanna said:
Thanks for the advice... but I'm a little confused. I need two nvidia cards to run two monitors??? Why is that?

Nvidia cards are optimized for any software that supports CUDA, but ATi cards support eyefinity.
basically nvidia cards don't spport eyefinity meaning you'd have to have 1:1 GPU to Monitor Ratio in other words 1 card runs 1 monitor with Nvidia Cards, but with ATi Cards using eyefinity 1 Card can run 3 Monitors because there optimized for multiple monitors.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 5:50:10 AM

HeyImGodly said:
Nvidia cards are optimized for any software that supports CUDA, but ATi cards support eyefinity.
basically nvidia cards don't spport eyefinity meaning you'd have to have 1:1 GPU to Monitor Ratio in other words 1 card runs 1 monitor with Nvidia Cards, but with ATi Cards using eyefinity 1 Card can run 3 Monitors because there optimized for multiple monitors.


I see. Thanks for the explanation! I'm really glad I found that out before buying anything. So... in other words I should get either an ATI card or get the Nvidia + some cheap card for the second monitor? The second monitor is really only for reference material, chatting/surfing, etc...

ETA: Ok, I'm confused yet again. On the page for the GeForce GTX 285 ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_285_us... ) -the card I was originally looking at- it says it can do multi-monitor and also CUDA support...

Not that I mind going with a cheaper option...
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 6:22:06 AM

you'd need a cheaper card with the GTX 285 while if you got a GTX 295 you'd be able to run multiple monitors with one gpu, but everything i've read says that a GTX 285 has more power.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 6:31:17 AM

You want CUDA to leverage on Mercury Playback engine in Premiere Pro and i would hit as many cores + as much RAM for best gains ^^


How to Unlock Adobe Premiere CS5 to use almost any NVIDIA graphics card with CUDA acceleration.
Updated on 10/04/10
http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5....
Quote:
3) The video card must have 896 meg of ram or more. Most video cards come with 512K, 1GB or more. Go with a 1GB card or higher card.




Actually Icrontic got excellent results X6 + 8GB DDR3 + MPE in CS5 Premiere and u dun have to deal with mobos that cost an arm and a leg hehe
A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gp...
Quote:
This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 6:52:42 AM

batuchka said:
You want CUDA to leverage on Mercury Playback engine in Premiere Pro and i would hit as many cores + as much RAM for best gains ^^


How to Unlock Adobe Premiere CS5 to use almost any NVIDIA graphics card with CUDA acceleration.
Updated on 10/04/10
http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5....
Quote:
3) The video card must have 896 meg of ram or more. Most video cards come with 512K, 1GB or more. Go with a 1GB card or higher card.




Actually Icrontic got excellent results X6 + 8GB DDR3 + MPE in CS5 Premiere and u dun have to deal with mobos that cost an arm and a leg hehe
A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gp...
Quote:
This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.




http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


What about that card? i know its ati, but according to the AMD Website it shouldn't have a problem rendering anything.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 7:25:41 AM

Ok, after looking a little more I think this card would be a better option for me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Premiere/After Effects are important to me, but are my secondary consideration in building this PC... not my first. "My" current pc handles them ok (granted it's cs4 if that makes a difference) so even a slight improvement would be fine with me.

And maybe this motherboard?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 8:27:44 AM

Milanna said:
Ok, after looking a little more I think this card would be a better option for me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Premiere/After Effects are important to me, but are my secondary consideration in building this PC... not my first. "My" current pc handles them ok (granted it's cs4 if that makes a difference) so even a slight improvement would be fine with me.

And maybe this motherboard?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Choose This Motherboard

and I'm almost positive that card will be able to use two monitors by itself.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 2:06:51 PM

HeyImGodly said:
Choose This Motherboard

and I'm almost positive that card will be able to use two monitors by itself.


Thanks! I've seen people discussing their dual monitor setups with that card so I am pretty sure it's possible too...

Any particular reason with that motherboard? Since I'm new to this the benefits don't immediately pop out at me but I'm very curious to know ;) 
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 3:51:24 PM

Basically the one i picked is cheaper without making you lose features. It has just about everything the more expensive board has while costing less. the only real difference you'll see is slightly weaker sound card. which i wouldnt care about unless you were an audiophile, but then you'd be buying a new sound card anyway if that was the case. :) 
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 10:01:33 PM

Ok ok :D  awesome! I was just wondering if it was the price or something else. Amazon actually had them cheaper yesterday but the price went back up today! Gr. I'll keep a look out. Either one looks good! Ok, so after some more fiddling today, this is what I have so far:


Parts Already Chosen/Current Tentative Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R OR GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460
Is EVGA better than Gigabyte?

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
I'm pretty sure this one is compatible, right?

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3
According to Newegg's PSU recommendation selector... 750W is enough. Agree?

HDD: something about 1 TB... any one the ones already recommended in this thread look fine to me :) 

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II


If anyone's curious I'm using a ViewSonic VP2365WB 23-Inch IPS LCD as my primary monitor. Getting either a second one or something else less expensive in the same size range (neither are included in the 1k budget).




Trying to make sure all these things work together... and that I'm not missing anything! I feel like I am.... maybe it's just because I haven't picked out an optical drive yet haha.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 10:17:56 PM

This Ram

i7- 9xx it uses triple channel memory you'd need a kit like the above one^^ that one is also CL6
the one you chose is CL9
think of the RAM as runners on a track with the CL6 one being faster and the CL9 being slower.

Gigabyte and EVGA are basically on the same level except you pay more of a premium with EVGA

for the HDD the Samsung Spinpoint F3 has the best Price/Performance Ratio

The PSU will work fine, but id try and get a modular one IMO





m
0
l
November 13, 2010 10:47:14 PM

HeyImGodly said:
This Ram

i7- 9xx it uses triple channel memory you'd need a kit like the above one^^ that one is also CL6
the one you chose is CL9
think of the RAM as runners on a track with the CL6 one being faster and the CL9 being slower.

Thank you! I didn't even think of that. I have some more research to do apparently! I like the looks of the one you provided... especially since I saw some reviews from people with a similar build to mine, haha. I was hoping for 8gb of RAM though... or more.... maybe in the future.


HeyImGodly said:
The PSU will work fine, but id try and get a modular one IMO

Holy cow. I just saw this photo on Wiki when looking up the difference and there's no way I'm gonna argue with you on this one! Thanks for saving my butt again!

The advice on the hdd and evga vs gigabyte is also much appreciated.
m
0
l
November 13, 2010 11:04:55 PM

No Problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


^^That's probably the best 650w PSU available its 8o Plus GOLD Certified so it saves you money.

and theres no real difference between 8gb and 6gb. I know the difference between 6gb & 12gb its less than 2%

honestly RAM doesn't become a problem until you don't have enough of it.
IMO i'd get the Triple Channel Kit and see if i need more afterwards.
m
0
l
November 14, 2010 7:36:08 AM

Good to know about the ram. I'm not going to buy more if there's not a mind-blowing difference.

OK! I think this is ~*IT*~ :bounce: . Someone introduced me to combos so I figured I'd check it out. I came up with this:

A few of the things are more expensive/powerful than I was shooting for (psu, case, hdd...), but it still comes out to about $50 or so cheaper than my similar non-combo build which is good since I'm already a bit over budget.
m
0
l
November 14, 2010 4:57:42 PM

i couldn't get the price any better myself,
the build looks great.
m
0
l
November 14, 2010 6:58:24 PM

Oh man, I feel like a pest lately but a friend tweaked it a bit and got a little better savings. Had to lose the modular psu though... :??: 

m
0
l

Best solution

November 14, 2010 7:18:57 PM


Subtotal: $1,191.81


Slightly Better ^^
Also has Modular PSU
Share
November 15, 2010 6:22:13 PM

The EVGA gives a lifetime warranty, Gigabyte gives 3 yrs that is why it is slightly more expensive. Both brands are the same card.
m
0
l
November 20, 2010 11:03:49 PM

Best answer selected by Milanna.
m
0
l
!