Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA reveals Fermi's successor: Kepler at 28nm in 2011, Maxwell in 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2010 6:29:24 PM

Quote:
Not a lot of details to be had, but NVIDIA wants you to know Fermi isn't the company's be-all, end-all GPU -- "hundreds of engineers" are already hard at work on Codename Kepler, expected to go to production this year and ship in 2011. Kepler's based on a 28nm process, we're told, and will thankfully deliver an estimated 3 to 4 times the performance per watt compared to Fermi, and hopefully run cool. If you built your last PC to last, however, you might wait for Maxwell in 2013, supposedly bringing a sixteen-fold increase in parallel graphics-based computing just two years after that, including advanced features like the ability to autonomously process some content independent of a CPU.

Source

What do u think?
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 6:38:18 PM

Thanks for posting
Looks promising,but too bad there is word for specs(yet :D ).
I sure hope so that they have a good power consumption,its the main feature Nvidia has missed in almost all GTX 4xx family.
September 21, 2010 7:03:12 PM

U aren't the only one that wait for a better nVidia product i'm thinking in change my GTX260 for a 5850 (maybe Crossfire in the way) or a single GTX480.
Related resources
September 21, 2010 7:48:42 PM

Its to be expected.
nVidias current solution is very leaky, hot and somewhat underperforming because of the first 2 problems
Give Fermi a full shrink, HKMG, and itll be what they were hopimg for Fermi, but also a next gen one as well.
Sounds like a good product if all goes well
September 21, 2010 7:51:22 PM

That means next gen nVidia will be out late 2011, at the time of next-next gen of ATi card.

Does nVidia plan to do anything to respond to HD6xxx coming out next month?
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 8:00:13 PM

cirslevin said:
That means next gen nVidia will be out late 2011, at the time of next-next gen of ATi card.

Does nVidia plan to do anything to respond to HD6xxx coming out next month?

Well its finally looking good for competition and hopefully prices :D .
As far as Nvidia responding to the 6 series, there still have yet to release a full fat GF104 cored card yet, the 460 has 7 of 8 SM's enabled.
Don't know if thats a yield issue or not or even if a 8 SM chip is viable/possible. Then there is the possability of dual chip cards so there are still a few possabilities for newer higher performing cards before they get to Kepler in 2011.

Mactronix
September 21, 2010 8:03:44 PM

The next year is in 3 months and a half so I think that in Q1 or Q2 2011 we can see something new from nVidia and starting a fight against the AMD 6xxx seires
September 21, 2010 8:15:47 PM

saint19 said:
Quote:
Not a lot of details to be had, but NVIDIA wants you to know Fermi isn't the company's be-all, end-all GPU -- "hundreds of engineers" are already hard at work on Codename Kepler, expected to go to production this year and ship in 2011. Kepler's based on a 28nm process, we're told, and will thankfully deliver an estimated 3 to 4 times the performance per watt compared to Fermi, and hopefully run cool. If you built your last PC to last, however, you might wait for Maxwell in 2013, supposedly bringing a sixteen-fold increase in parallel graphics-based computing just two years after that, including advanced features like the ability to autonomously process some content independent of a CPU.

Source

What do u think?

Does Vaporware means its packing too much heat and it disingrated during the bechmarks A0-A1 Silicon so they need so new artic silver thermal putty on the market! Thats why you don't touch or mess with experimental gear! nvidia has a reputation for putting the heater on it cards aka 5800ultra and up! Ati has the Vortex Imploder Edition Cards, but Nvidia has Tesla and Turbine Heaters on it Cards! When's the Plasma Electro card being released or is that the Lucid HydraLogic's Card with the AMD Orochi Series Gear! Too much excitment in IT wheres the best place to hang out CA or TW?
September 21, 2010 8:58:36 PM

Rumors are ramping up nVidia may dump TSMC, so shortages and waiting will be done, as competition will not only be between chip builders, but chip makers as well
September 21, 2010 9:46:46 PM

^ur right but for now we can wait the typical Hawk from MSI :lol: 
September 21, 2010 10:57:49 PM

At the pace NV is making things, i dont see this coming to a market near you anytime soon. If they are starting developement in 2011, then Q4 2011-Q 2012 at best. The fact it shows Fermi starting at 2009 clearly shows they mean developement started at that time. I sure hope they can roll this out at or before the launch of 7xxx from AMD, otherwise, AMD turns into a mini intel in the GPU market, and the 7970 is $1000 :lol:  Maxwell looks interesting, but we wont be seeing that for 3-4 years, but id like to know what they think will make it so impressive...
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:08:06 PM

Great just what we all need no competition for ATI so that prices will sky rocket and little from Nvidia that can keep up for to long performance wise. Honestly all they can do is to continue to improve yields that is a pipe dream in it's self and improve efficiency which is another pipe dream.
September 21, 2010 11:08:28 PM

Going to a new process is always a huge process for nVidia (no pun intended)
If they lean up their arch, and 28nm is a good process from the get go, then all may be good A few concerns about their approach/claims tho.
Fermi in 2009 wasnt, never was and didnt happen
Theyve yet to completely release all the Fermi cards as of now
Jensen.....sometimes I wonder
a c 168 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:14:17 PM

ares1214 said:
At the pace NV is making things, i dont see this coming to a market near you anytime soon. If they are starting developement in 2011, then Q4 2011-Q 2012 at best. The fact it shows Fermi starting at 2009 clearly shows they mean developement started at that time. I sure hope they can roll this out at or before the launch of 7xxx from AMD, otherwise, AMD turns into a mini intel in the GPU market, and the 7970 is $1000 :lol:  Maxwell looks interesting, but we wont be seeing that for 3-4 years, but id like to know what they think will make it so impressive...

That is more likely an admission that Fermi was slated for release in 2009 but it just didn't go according to plan, if it did start development in 2009 then Nvidia is way ahead of ATi in being able to go from development to working silicon and on to final product as it normally takes about eighteen months to two years.
September 21, 2010 11:21:51 PM

Tho, if this is true MM, then their next gen may not turn out so grand?
If what youre saying is true, then its truly a first, and may or may not be repeated again
September 21, 2010 11:22:43 PM

Well once again, if its marked as 2009, comes out mid to late 2010, isnt even done yet, im not so confident we will be seeing this anytime soon... :lol: 
September 21, 2010 11:27:16 PM

Everyone remembers the 2900, released in April 2007, it ran hot, used alot of power, and didnt perform as expected, then 8MONTHS later, we had the 3870

PS Oh, and yea, it was released late as well
September 21, 2010 11:31:43 PM

Isnt this what dropped the economy? j/k

If they do this in 7 months I'll be impressed
September 21, 2010 11:34:08 PM

"The move to the upside came with high volume; 40.98 million shares traded, 2 times NVIDIA’s average 90day volume of 20.5 million shares."

Kinda Odd?
a c 168 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:39:14 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Tho, if this is true MM, then their next gen may not turn out so grand?
If what youre saying is true, then its truly a first, and may or may not be repeated again

Huh?, If what I said is true then Fermi was in development from 2007/2008 but due to issues didn't appear until 2010 but as for the next gen, who knows?
September 21, 2010 11:43:21 PM

Everyones waiting for 28nm, so it matters little really, its whats between then and now that has the immediate impact
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:47:43 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Everyones waiting for 28nm, so it matters little really, its whats between then and now that has the immediate impact

Nothing much aside from Nvidia forced to try further metal layer respins to improve yields enough to ware they can sell fully enabled chips while at the same time lowering the amperage needed for power.
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:51:27 PM

shineon2010 said:
"The move to the upside came with high volume; 40.98 million shares traded, 2 times NVIDIA’s average 90day volume of 20.5 million shares."

Kinda Odd?

They made announcements about inventory as well. You can read many things in to that. Sometimes its reporting manipulation other times it means they are selling well.
September 21, 2010 11:54:14 PM

Id hope theyve sold their old inventory and are truly moving ahead.
As for getter more out of 40nm, who knows?
Rumors still running high on ATIs 6xxx series
No reason nVidia cant get some too
a c 168 Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:56:20 PM

notty22 said:
They made announcements about inventory as well. You can read many things in to that. Sometimes its reporting manipulation other times it means they are selling well.

Well they haven't sold anything to me recently and won't do until they release a fully enabled GPU of 460 class or higher.
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2010 11:58:59 PM

I just ordered my second 460 :) 
Will be asking all sorts of stupid sli questions, if my favorite games don't utilize.
But I'm reading, like magic , most will ?
a c 168 Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 12:03:14 AM

notty22 said:
I just ordered my second 460 :) 
Will be asking all sorts of stupid sli questions, if my favorite games don't utilize.
But I'm reading, like magic , most will ?

For the ones that don't support it natively, forcing AFR or SFR via the Nv control panel is always an option.
September 22, 2010 12:19:15 AM

Yep, the future looks good
September 22, 2010 12:25:17 AM

:lol:  Yeah, i was kinda wondering why they were doing it on a per watt basis, fermi isnt exactly the greenest video card :whistle: 
September 22, 2010 12:33:30 AM

Well, I believe using a smaller process, a more mature core,HKMG and some tweaks, plus making them Cuda cores more responsive etc, theyll hit their goal.
How that effects gaming and gamers?
Yet to be seen
September 22, 2010 12:38:09 AM

Right, but CUDA is likely the thing NV can twist the most. Not saying it isnt useful, not saying it doesnt contribute to performance, but its like AMD bragging they have 4x the shaders than NV. Then making a chart showing that. Also, if you think about it, if they cut the power to 5870 levels, they already have a 30% decrease in wattage, so id rather see raw performance, not performance per watt, and what might be idle watt or something misleading. I never trust AMD or NV slides when it comes to performance. They can skew the results, and market it however they want.
September 22, 2010 12:49:12 AM

Honestly? I feel like this guy

September 22, 2010 12:54:26 AM

HA, both of them :lol:  I wonder if NV imagined that powered the fermi? :lol:  And believe me, i want NV to get back in the game for sheer competition. But at BEST, we will see this Q3 2011, in which time 6xxx has already had 8-12 months on the market, and 7xxx is right around the corner. I also dont imagine many refreshes on fermi until then, as they have it clocked as high as they basically can, clocking it higher would just make it run hotter and use more energy. They cant shrink the die, not for a LONG time, and thats what this is. GF104 can only take them to maybe around 480 + or - 5% performance as far as single cards go. Its already taking them long enough as is to finish off Fermi. Their relations with TSMC, while they may be strong, might be strained, as they are a decent bit of the problem, and NV has been talking with GloFlo for what must be Tegra. I dont see them doing well for a while, but thats just me. Maybe another player can help lower AMD pricing.
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 1:05:08 AM

Nvidia's position might get better with the release of the AMD 6 series, it may FAIL.
The only things we know for sure, ARE, its still on 40nm, and every gpu should be a bigger die. Which will probably use more power, and could run hotter :) 
Time will tell.
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 1:17:08 AM

I hope the early 6k series does fail and it does look disappointing for those who already own a decent 5k series or GTX 4xx. To be honest I think ATI is only trying to milk the industry while it can. Like what Nvidia has done in the past but without competition it doesn't matter what brand that is top hog it is us the consumer that suffers with needlessly higher prices. I still remember the court case ware the both of them were fined for making agreements to fix the prices of each other products to keep them artificially high.
September 22, 2010 1:35:24 AM

I hope the 6xxx series does good. One should never hope someone does bad to bring more competition in. Best case scenario is 6xxx does good, which it really does look like it will, if they keep temps in a good range, and then they price to kill :lol: 
September 22, 2010 1:36:25 AM

If the 6xxx series is only better than the 5xxx series, like nVidias 8xxx series to the 9xxx series, then I'll agree
We shall see.
I still think some form of a full chip could be done, and nVidia will have the time for it, as 28nm isnt going to be here anytime soon
a c 168 Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 1:58:02 AM

I think the Tessellation performance is going to be one of the main areas that they may concentrate on as the performance so far has been a bit lacklustre considering the noise made about being able to do Tess since the 2xxx series and how it was held back because of Nvidia's refusal to bow down to DX10.1.
September 22, 2010 2:10:11 AM

I give alot of credit to nVidia for having a nice first DX11 gen card, usually its always the second gen
Yep, ATI has some catching up to do there, where nVidia just needs to get everything out of Fermi, but Im thinking that ATI too may be trying to do the same with their cards as well, not just tess
Their flops dont measure up to perf, so theres alot of wiggle room there, sorta like Fermi as well
Theyre both missing pieces, and when they fix them, we will all be happy
a c 168 Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 2:22:03 AM

But it's the tess chip that either needs a redesign or dropping and incorporating the process into the GPU that could be the make or break I reckon, not that I'm claiming to know the full ins and and out of it all but that seems to be one of the areas that they are getting hurt in and it just so happens to be a selling point of DX11.
September 22, 2010 2:26:18 AM

Their second gen is coming soon to a rig near you
September 22, 2010 3:11:34 AM

Mousemonkey said:
But it's the tess chip that either needs a redesign or dropping and incorporating the process into the GPU that could be the make or break I reckon, not that I'm claiming to know the full ins and and out of it all but that seems to be one of the areas that they are getting hurt in and it just so happens to be a selling point of DX11.

6xxx has an entirely new tess system. Upside is on the high end models, it gets fantastic tes performance. Downside is, the more shader banks you take away, tess gets hurt a lot more than it should be.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 3:40:36 AM

ares1214 said:
6xxx has an entirely new tess system. Upside is on the high end models, it gets fantastic tes performance. Downside is, the more shader banks you take away, tess gets hurt a lot more than it should be.

:heink:  And how do you know this? We have yet to see either the cards or independent benchies.
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 4:04:01 AM

He didn't say tess, he said tes, which refers to The Elder Scrolls, aka Oblivion, which it likely (as do all modern cards) does quite well in.
September 22, 2010 4:07:06 AM

+1 to mousemonkey, AMD 6xxx and Kepler hasn't been released even hasn't been confirmed until now are just rumors and as rumors we only can discuss the possible release of both :lol: 

Just my two cents ;) 
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2010 5:15:08 AM

So who has 28nm coming out in the time frame that Nvidia will need to do this in 2011? As I recall thats one reason why AMD had the "isle" problem and changed what the 6series will be. 6 series is more of a refresh then a new card, and I'm not sure Nvidia needs to do much about it. The GTX4xx cards are faster then the AMD 5xxx cards, so let them refresh it. Even if AMD can get the lead back, when the "real" new cards come out we'll be back to seeing who is fastest again. (7 series and GTX5 series.)
September 22, 2010 10:48:47 AM

Mousemonkey said:
:heink:  And how do you know this? We have yet to see either the cards or independent benchies.

Know some people, see the arch, and that one leak. Leak may or may not be real though. Its just how its made differently in the arch. It wont scale linearly between high end and low end. Dont believe me if you dont want to, but there it is.
September 22, 2010 1:04:03 PM

The performance per watt graph isn't very encouraging because it doesn't necessarily mean that Kepler will be massively faster than Fermi, just a lot more efficient!

We can only wait and see in any case, the whole rumour/speculation/armchair engineer thing is always fun!
!