Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard or psu

Last response: in Components
February 7, 2011 5:38:09 AM

For about the past 5 months, I've been traveling between two cities every week and everytime I bring my desktop with me. About a month ago, upon reaching my destination, I powered up my PC and nothing happened. I opened up the case, thinking that maybe something was loose. I re-secured the RAM and GPU, but that didn't solve it. Next I checked to make sure the connections to my case power switch was plugged correctly in the motherboard, but that wasn't the problem either. Finally, I re-secured the main connector (20+4 Pin) and viola! problem solved--the computer powered on. So that was that....or so I thought.

The following week I returned home and brought back my pc with me. I powered it on, but nothing happened. First thing I did was check the main connector again, but this time, taking it out and plugging it back in didn't solve it. I had to fudge around with the connector in order to get my system to power on. Ever since, every week when I take my pc with me to where I have to go, I've been having to play around with the connector to get my pc powered. But once the connector is 'secure' and my pc powers up, I have no problems with it throughout the week. The problem only arise when I have to unplug it and take it with me to where I need to go.

Lately, it's been getting harder and harder to get my pc to power on. If I just take out the connector and put it back in tightly, my pc won't power up. But when I insert it into the socket at an angle, but without inserting it all the way so it locks, my case fans and led lights power up. However, when I fully insert it so it locks, my pc won't boot. Right now, the only way that I can get a reaction from my fans and lights is when the connector initially makes contact with the socket (at an angle). But once I fully insert all the pins, my pc refuses to boot.

So I'm wondering if this is a faulty psu or motherboard? I would hate to think that all the traveling my computer has had to endure in the past few months has shorten its life. Thanks.

More about : motherboard psu

a b ) Power supply
a c 113 V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 4:16:38 PM

It's probably the motherboard.

You'll either have to buy a PSU or motherboard to test this problem. A PSU is probably cheaper and far easier to replace, however the problem is likely the motherboard.

Related resources
February 7, 2011 5:51:35 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too...that it's the problem lies with the motherboard. It'll take some time for before I'll be able to test it.
February 7, 2011 6:24:36 PM

vwj said:
For about the past 5 months, I've been traveling between two cities every week and everytime I bring my desktop with me. About a month ago, upon reaching my destination, I powered up my PC and nothing happened. I opened up the case, thinking that maybe something was loose. I re-secured the RAM and GPU, but that didn't solve it. Next I checked to make sure the connections to my case power switch was plugged correctly in the motherboard, but that wasn't the problem either. Finally, I re-secured the main connector (20+4 Pin) and viola! problem solved--the computer powered on. So that was that....or so I thought.

The following week I returned home and brought back my pc with me. I powered it on, but nothing happened. First thing I did was check the main connector again, but this time, taking it out and plugging it back in didn't solve it. I had to fudge around with the connector in order to get my system to power on. Ever since, every week when I take my pc with me to where I have to go, I've been having to play around with the connector to get my pc powered. But once the connector is 'secure' and my pc powers up, I have no problems with it throughout the week. The problem only arise when I have to unplug it and take it with me to where I need to go.

Lately, it's been getting harder and harder to get my pc to power on. If I just take out the connector and put it back in tightly, my pc won't power up. But when I insert it into the socket at an angle, but without inserting it all the way so it locks, my case fans and led lights power up. However, when I fully insert it so it locks, my pc won't boot. Right now, the only way that I can get a reaction from my fans and lights is when the connector initially makes contact with the socket (at an angle). But once I fully insert all the pins, my pc refuses to boot.

So I'm wondering if this is a faulty psu or motherboard? I would hate to think that all the traveling my computer has had to endure in the past few months has shorten its life. Thanks.

I think I would try replacing the connector and or cable first because that is ez it dose power up after messing with it makes me think not MB
February 7, 2011 10:10:33 PM

The easiest thing to do would be to get get another working computer and test my psu on their system an vise-versa. That way I'll know for sure if the power supply is at fault. But unfortunately, it may take me another week to get a hold of another working desktop.
February 7, 2011 11:05:21 PM

while your waiting around I think I would take a close look at the metal female terminals in the plastic connector to see if any metal terminals got dislodged from the plastic plug-in.I just think if it was hardware problem it would not work long enough for you to be on your PC this long.
February 8, 2011 12:01:19 AM

I checked the metal terminals and everything appears fine. I also checked the motherboard and it looks fine from that end also.

I'm actually using an old laptop right now. Things wouldn't be so bad, but the half of the display on the laptop messed up. I'm just anxious to get my pc tested and working again ASAP.
February 8, 2011 2:51:05 AM

vwj said:
I checked the metal terminals and everything appears fine. I also checked the motherboard and it looks fine from that end also.

I'm actually using an old laptop right now. Things wouldn't be so bad, but the half of the display on the laptop messed up. I'm just anxious to get my pc tested and working again ASAP.

:sol: 
February 8, 2011 3:01:15 AM

I was able to haul my pc over to a friend's friend place. But unfortunately, his psu is only 400 watts and the main connector was only a 20pin, so it failed to power up my system. I was able to test my psu and it was able to power his, so it seems less likely that it's my PSU, though I'm not willing to completely rule it out just yet.

I'm just waiting to test my mb and psu on my friend's PC, since his and I have similar hardware.
February 8, 2011 8:53:38 AM

Right on let me know what you find later
February 9, 2011 1:23:17 AM

I went to my friend's house for some further testing. First, what we did was we hooked his power supply to my motherboard. Since he wanted to do this with minimal work, we just connected the main 24pin power connector, the 4pin cpu connector, and a 6pin connector for my video card. We powered it up, and my computer finally booted! To test my psu, we hooked it up to his pc the same way only using those 3 connectors, but it didn't boot up his.

So I guess probably means that my psu is to blame. It might just be that the 24pin connector has gone bad for whatever reason, but I think that will be difficult to replace. All this time I was anticipating that it would be my motherboard, but I'm glad it wasn't. I'd much rather replace a psu than a motherboard.

I'll try to stop by the store tomorrow to pick up a new psu. And I truly hope that it is the power supply that's to blame. I guess I'll know once I get back from the store....
February 9, 2011 6:41:26 PM

Well you will get a new 24 plugin when you get the new PSU so that has to fix it :bounce: 
February 9, 2011 11:25:38 PM

I just got my new psu and my worst fear happened--the exact same thing is happening. I got the antec earthwatts 650 and i guess it has some sort of built-in clicking sound because when I was fudging around with the 24 pin, there would be a clicking sound.

After some time playing with the connector, I was able to get my computer to power up. But once I turn off the little switch on the back of the psu and turned it on again, my PC wasn't able to power up.

This tells me that it has to be something with the motherboard. I'm not sure how this stuff works, but my guess is that once there's no more power running through the circuits on the MB (either when I turn off the switch on the back of the psu or unplug the electrical cord) it has trouble receiving power again. Either that or there's something wrong with the pins/socket that receives the 24pin connector.

I guess I'll have to try a new motherboard...
February 10, 2011 12:49:26 PM

the mother board has a battery that keeps the BIOS active when the main power is disconnected check and make sure battery has good charge and tightly seated I was just trying to help keep from doing the complete motherboard install sorry none of my suggestions helped.
a b ) Power supply
a c 217 V Motherboard
February 10, 2011 6:45:13 PM

vwj said:
I just got my new psu and my worst fear happened--the exact same thing is happening. I got the antec earthwatts 650 and i guess it has some sort of built-in clicking sound because when I was fudging around with the 24 pin, there would be a clicking sound.

After some time playing with the connector, I was able to get my computer to power up. But once I turn off the little switch on the back of the psu and turned it on again, my PC wasn't able to power up.

This tells me that it has to be something with the motherboard. I'm not sure how this stuff works, but my guess is that once there's no more power running through the circuits on the MB (either when I turn off the switch on the back of the psu or unplug the electrical cord) it has trouble receiving power again. Either that or there's something wrong with the pins/socket that receives the 24pin connector.

I guess I'll have to try a new motherboard...

If I were you, I'd remove the motherboard and inspect the 24 volt connector area for a cold solder joint. That might be all that's wrong with your motherboard.
February 11, 2011 7:04:48 AM

As far as my computer not powering up, I think I've solved that problem. Just when I was about to call it quits on my motherboard, I took it out of my case and set it on a piece of paper. With only the cpu, RAM, video card, and power switch connection connected--while using my old PSU--everything successfully powered up. To make sure it wasn't just a fluke, I turned off the switch on the back of my psu and unplugged the power cord several times, and everytime it powered up.

I put everything back in the case, making sure all screws were tight on my motherboard. I plugged back all the other peripherals, etc. Three-fourths of the way through, I powered it up again to make sure everything was working. To my dismay, it didn't power up; it was doing the exact same thing as before (the fans and LED lights would flash for a second when I initially insert the 24pin). Now knowing that neither my MB or PSU was at fault, I began to disconnect all cords, wires, etc. It turns out that it was the cord to the front-side USB slot in my case that was causing all this trouble. When it was plugged in, my computer wouldn't power up. Once I took it off though, I could power on and power off at will.

My computer has been up and running for a few hours now, but now I'm faced with another problem. Whenever I'm running some sort of graphic intense program, like a game, my computer would randomly restart without any warning or error. Sometimes it would restart when I'm 30 minutes into it or when I'm only a few minutes into it. I guess it'll take me some time to troubleshoot that as well... :cry: 
February 11, 2011 1:37:23 PM

vwj said:
As far as my computer not powering up, I think I've solved that problem. Just when I was about to call it quits on my motherboard, I took it out of my case and set it on a piece of paper. With only the cpu, RAM, video card, and power switch connection connected--while using my old PSU--everything successfully powered up. To make sure it wasn't just a fluke, I turned off the switch on the back of my psu and unplugged the power cord several times, and everytime it powered up.

I put everything back in the case, making sure all screws were tight on my motherboard. I plugged back all the other peripherals, etc. Three-fourths of the way through, I powered it up again to make sure everything was working. To my dismay, it didn't power up; it was doing the exact same thing as before (the fans and LED lights would flash for a second when I initially insert the 24pin). Now knowing that neither my MB or PSU was at fault, I began to disconnect all cords, wires, etc. It turns out that it was the cord to the front-side USB slot in my case that was causing all this trouble. When it was plugged in, my computer wouldn't power up. Once I took it off though, I could power on and power off at will.

My computer has been up and running for a few hours now, but now I'm faced with another problem. Whenever I'm running some sort of graphic intense program, like a game, my computer would randomly restart without any warning or error. Sometimes it would restart when I'm 30 minutes into it or when I'm only a few minutes into it. I guess it'll take me some time to troubleshoot that as well... :cry: 

Well at least your gaining on it now you need to find out what temperature your CPU & GPU are when it shuts down here is a link where you can get this temp monitor
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard/versions-histo... :sol: 
February 12, 2011 5:47:23 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's a heat issue, but that's an issue that should be put on another thread. Well the original question of this thread seems to be solved. I just want to thank everyone for their input.
!