Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a few backup utility, tips, and a new hardrive.

Last response: in Storage
February 23, 2013 5:58:38 PM

Hi,

When built my own computer (NCIX assembled it, I picked the parts) I got a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 HDD, but after a couple of weeks of use it started to get loud. Now, a year and four months later I have decided to get an SSD for the OS and use the Western Digital Caviar as storage. TBH I would rather not go through this hassle if possible, but I am tired of the noise and how poorly my HDD performs under stress. If I am unzipping a file or installing a game, my computer slows down significantly, to a point that videos that I am watching start skipping.

Anyways, I recently bought an ADATA ACH11 1TB , to backup my current system (around 500GB), so I am wondering a few things:

1- What's the best backup utility I can use?

2- If I make an image of my current HDD in the external HDD, once I format my current HDD will I be able to get my programs and games working again by simply restoring the image, or would I have to re-install everything?

3- I purchased windows through NCIX (came already installed) , so how do I get another copy for the SSD? (my computer didn't come with a stick on the side with the serial key)

4- What SSD will you guys recommend? (I am looking for something around 128GB, I don't think I need more than that)

Tips and suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks!
a c 177 G Storage
February 23, 2013 6:37:21 PM

1. You can always use windows backup. It is free. A full system image backup is one option.

2. You should be able to restore everything. But, I would not do it that way. If, for some reason your backup/restore fails, you will have lost everything.
I would use a cloning utility like acronis true image to clone your old hard drive to the new.

3. NCIX owes you a serial key, it is your OS. You should also have been given a dvd with windows 7 on it.
In the event they are uncooperative, you can find your windows key with a free app called magicaljellybean.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Then, you can borrow any windows 7 dvd to do a clean install on your new ssd.
If your current OS will fit on the ssd you purchase, you could clone your hard drive to the ssd.
Otherwise,
You can use windows easy transfer to export all your files and settings. After the windows install, you can import all or some of the files or settings.
Programs will need to be reinstalled.

4. My preference would be for Samsung or Intel SSD's
m
l
February 24, 2013 1:01:58 AM

geofelt said:
1. You can always use windows backup. It is free. A full system image backup is one option.

2. You should be able to restore everything. But, I would not do it that way. If, for some reason your backup/restore fails, you will have lost everything.
I would use a cloning utility like acronis true image to clone your old hard drive to the new.

3. NCIX owes you a serial key, it is your OS. You should also have been given a dvd with windows 7 on it.
In the event they are uncooperative, you can find your windows key with a free app called magicaljellybean.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Then, you can borrow any windows 7 dvd to do a clean install on your new ssd.
If your current OS will fit on the ssd you purchase, you could clone your hard drive to the ssd.
Otherwise,
You can use windows easy transfer to export all your files and settings. After the windows install, you can import all or some of the files or settings.
Programs will need to be reinstalled.

4. My preference would be for Samsung or Intel SSD's

Well, I am not gonna buy a 500GB SSD as they are too expensive, so cloning my old HDD won't do me any good.
If I understand correctly my best option is to backup everything, but my programs, and then wipe the old HDD.
Once that is done I install the new SSD and my old empty HDD.
Finally I move the files that I backed up (mostly documents,images,and videos) to the old HDD, correct?
m
l
a c 177 G Storage
February 24, 2013 1:17:44 AM

mald said:
Well, I am not gonna buy a 500GB SSD as they are too expensive, so cloning my old HDD won't do me any good.
If I understand correctly my best option is to backup everything, but my programs, and then wipe the old HDD.
Once that is done I install the new SSD and my old empty HDD.
Finally I move the files that I backed up (mostly documents,images,and videos) to the old HDD, correct?

It is simpler than that.
Disconnect your old hard drive and do a clean install on your new ssd. Make certain that AHCI is specified in the bios as the sata mode(notIDE) that way you will get trim drivers.
The reason you disconnect the old hard drives is so that windows will not attempt to place a hidden recovery partition on it.
After the os install, reconnect your hard drive, and all your files will be available to you.
If you want to preserve your settings, use windows easy transfer to export them first to a file on your hard drive.
After the ssd install, you can import them back.

If you need more hard drive space, you can just delete the old windows folders.
m
l
!